Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

Lioness, How awful! What type of terrain were they in? Were they experienced hikers? I can understand why you are glad they are back.
My Thoughts to all of you! Not a good way to celebrate nature and be outdoors.
Sundance (RB)

@sundance6

Lioness, How awful! What type of terrain were they in? Were they experienced hikers? I can understand why you are glad they are back.
My Thoughts to all of you! Not a good way to celebrate nature and be outdoors.
Sundance (RB)

Jump to this post

@sundance6 Thank you glad they are back home . My son ,Chuck and 2 others are experienced hikers but the one they airlifted I don't think was . Poor Chuck his legs where so swollen but as I was there the next day they had started to go down. He lives in Pittsburg Pa so has to fly home so hope they are back to normal before he does. Thanks to all for your concern

@lioness

@debbraw I am thankful today that my son and his group came home save and sound form there hikeing trip. One did have to be airlifted out for he had a panic attack. The other guy Chuck twisted his knees and had a puncture wound but walked out they came up short on there goal but typical hikers they are going to finish it next summer Oh yay But glad he is back.

Jump to this post

@lioness- Oh my goodness! My son is a very experienced hiker too and I cringe when he goes off. I'm glad that they are safe. Is everyone recovering well?

@merpreb Yes everyone got a lot of sleep over the weekend . Howie hit his hot tub right away as well as Chuck. So you know the feeling then Merry. He is back to work minus his beard.

@lioness

@debbraw I am thankful today that my son and his group came home save and sound form there hikeing trip. One did have to be airlifted out for he had a panic attack. The other guy Chuck twisted his knees and had a puncture wound but walked out they came up short on there goal but typical hikers they are going to finish it next summer Oh yay But glad he is back.

Jump to this post

@lioness - Wow. I am so glad for you that your family and friends are safe. Where was the hike? It sounds arduous!

I woke up this morning - everything else is extra.

And there are some delightful extras!

My wife/best friend/lover/soul mate woke up too

I'm very healthy - on zero prescriptions - doc can't find anything wrong with me

I love my job

There is food in the fridge, gas in the car, and the mortgage is paid off.

No kids, no pool, no pets, no debts.

I love my life.

Bob

@bobbyboomer

I woke up this morning - everything else is extra.

And there are some delightful extras!

My wife/best friend/lover/soul mate woke up too

I'm very healthy - on zero prescriptions - doc can't find anything wrong with me

I love my job

There is food in the fridge, gas in the car, and the mortgage is paid off.

No kids, no pool, no pets, no debts.

I love my life.

Bob

Jump to this post

Bob @bobbyboomer - What a positive message! That just warmed my heart. Thank you for sharing that upbeat and optimistic viewpoint.

This is wonderful discussion group. I am grateful for my partner of 10 years who is a source of support and strength. I'm grateful living in a place (the Upper Peninsula in the woods) where I am surrounded by foliage and fauna. That's why I chose my screen name as NatureGirl. I'm grateful for a conversation I just had with a friend from my religious community. We are working on a session on well-being (that includes kindness and gratitude) for an upcoming multigenerational retreat.

@sundance6

My thought as to how to make yours and others day WONDERFUL! I was given a lesson many years ago by my Mentor at that time. It has stuck with me for decades.
I was with my grandson shopping at Dicks Sporting Goods. When we went to check out I looked at the persons name tag and it read Kathy. As she closed the sale on the register I said "Thank You Kathy!. It made her light up and she Thanked me for recognising her by name. When we walked out to our car my Grandson asked me why I did it? I said because all of us liked to be recoginsed! We all want a little smile and to be recognised as an individual who has a name, not just as a person in passing!
I try everytime I am helped by someone in a store, or in an airport or anywhere with a name badge to recognise them and Thank them for helping me.
Go out and try if and see how you can BRIGHTEN someones day? You'll be surprised at how they react! They may then pass along the Happiness to others. It will also make you Happier!
Thank You all for the Love and Understanding to give to all of us!
Sundance (RB)

Jump to this post

I love this! At a store, a counter, or wherever, I always try to look the person in the eye and thank them for helping me, too. I had not thought of doing that by name. Thank you for another way to practice kindness.

Hi @naturegirl5 - Welcome to Connect! And I am so glad you found our Gratitude Group. You will definitely find kindred spirits here. I love the sound of your little patch of paradise! And it sounds wonderfully cool. I live in St. Augustine, FL and although its a beautiful place to live and I love my morning walks by the water, I can't brag too much about it in July and August. Too dang hot! But I will sing its praises again in September. Just for the heck of it, I'm going to share a picture I took on my morning walk this morning by our national cemetery. Meantime, back to you. Your multi-generational retreat sounds so interesting. Can you share more about it?

Please sign in or register to post a reply.