Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@mamacita

@jakedduck1 , McDonald's is good for one thing and one thing only. Wi-Fi. And maybe, coffee or a drink. And making a pit stop. Sorry, McDonald's afficianodos. It's how I feel.

Mamacita Jane

Jump to this post

@mamacita
Hi Jane
I couldn’t agree more. Even Id choose the kitchen over McDonalds. I’m not that desperate for Wi-Fi, besides I usually leave my phone at home.
Jake

@sandij

An odd side effect of being in AD withdrawal is an absolute aversion to chocolate, soda, and other sugary vices I used to indulge in on a daily basis. It's an upside but on the other hand, feels like I'm missing a limb or something!

Jump to this post

@sandij
What’s AD? I need some of that.
Jake

@jakedduck1

@sandij
What’s AD? I need some of that.
Jake

Jump to this post

Oh yeah, Antidepressants
Jake

I still love McDonalds egg mcmuffins, filet o fish, and fries! Childhood memories!

Hey, @sandij, I do actually like their Southwest salads. And when the kids were young, we would get them Happy Meals. Good memories.

McDonald's is not exactly Diabetic or Keto friendly. But it has its purposes I suppose. Our Grandsons still insist on their favorite chicken nuggets. And we willingly oblige.

Just in case there are any McDonald's franchise owners out there.

And then, there are the Ronald McDonald houses. God bless them for the work they do.

Love and light,

Mamacita Jane

@mamacita oh yes, the salads! I forgot about those. I indulge myself at McDs very seldom, my husband knows it's my favorite Sunday breakfast spot but I don't force it on him often! Growing up, we most always went to McDonalds on our way home from church, and those were great times in my family.
And the Ronald McDonald houses are wonderful. I've stayed there back when a previous husband of mine had major surgery, and what a blessing that was.

@debbraw

Yep... my favorite is dark chocolate. Trader Joe's has a BIG bar of 72% cacao dark chocolate that costs $4.99... I think it is a pound. Yummm!

Jump to this post

@debbraw I buy that it is so good and addicting cant just eat one piece.

@mamacita

@jakedduck1 , McDonald's is good for one thing and one thing only. Wi-Fi. And maybe, coffee or a drink. And making a pit stop. Sorry, McDonald's afficianodos. It's how I feel.

Mamacita Jane

Jump to this post

@mamacita We never go to McDonald’s, but I always did like their Big Macs.

My husband gets cranberry muffins there and says they’re really good, and he’s a pretty good judge of that.
JK

@contentandwell

@mamacita We never go to McDonald’s, but I always did like their Big Macs.

My husband gets cranberry muffins there and says they’re really good, and he’s a pretty good judge of that.
JK

Jump to this post

Thank you @jk,Volunteer Mentor, I feel really bad about all the negative things I said about McDonald's.

I had to lose 65 pounds this past year. For my health's sake.

Honestly? I LOVE McDonald's. I love them for the memories of all the Happy Meals my babies consumed. My oldest baby just turned 40.

But for me, at my age, fast food is just so addictive, and really so terribly carby.

So, McDonald's everywhere, I apologize, for all my negativity! I only wish you well!

It's not your fault my body wants to hold onto every single ounce of fat that it can.

It's not your fault my body wants to eat every single thing you sell, seven days a week!

So be free, McDonald's. Go and be yourself. I will see you now and then. And every so often I will get my own Happy Meal. Maybe just for the toy.

Talk to you later, my friend.

Mamacita Jane

@mamacita

Thank you @jk,Volunteer Mentor, I feel really bad about all the negative things I said about McDonald's.

I had to lose 65 pounds this past year. For my health's sake.

Honestly? I LOVE McDonald's. I love them for the memories of all the Happy Meals my babies consumed. My oldest baby just turned 40.

But for me, at my age, fast food is just so addictive, and really so terribly carby.

So, McDonald's everywhere, I apologize, for all my negativity! I only wish you well!

It's not your fault my body wants to hold onto every single ounce of fat that it can.

It's not your fault my body wants to eat every single thing you sell, seven days a week!

So be free, McDonald's. Go and be yourself. I will see you now and then. And every so often I will get my own Happy Meal. Maybe just for the toy.

Talk to you later, my friend.

Mamacita Jane

Jump to this post

@mamacita Please don’t feel bad, I agree with you! It really does not have a lot of healthy options and the sodium in most of their foods is out of sight. That being said, I often when driving by one get a yearning for a Big Mac! I don’t think I’ve had one for at least two or three years though.
I too lost a lot of weight, I’m about 90 pounds lighter than I once was, and I don’t want to regain after the work I did to lose it.

My husband has a job driving for enterprise two days a week - a lot of retired guys do that. They always stop there or DD for coffee in the morning, and as I said he loves their cranberry muffins - fat bombs. He’s one of those lucky people though. He’s as healthy as a horse, no medications, and can pretty much eat whatever he wants! It’s tough being married to someone like that.
JK

Please sign in or register to post a reply.