Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@hopeful33250

@gingerw

I hope that this goes through for you soon if this is the right move. Yes, finding new doctors is tough to do. The worst thing for me is finding a new hair stylist😊(Ok, I admit to being a little vain).

Jump to this post

@hopeful33250 Teresa, I have that same vanity, plus he was so good to me when I was going through my pre-transplant problems that I will always be grateful to him. It doesn't hurt that he's been voted the best colorist in southern NH either.
JK

@contentandwell

@hopeful33250 Teresa, I have that same vanity, plus he was so good to me when I was going through my pre-transplant problems that I will always be grateful to him. It doesn't hurt that he's been voted the best colorist in southern NH either.
JK

Jump to this post

Good to know, @contentandwell. I've never taken my hair stylist for granted😊

@lillee

I am so grateful that God blessed me with a 4 year old daughter that I adopted over 3 years ago. I am a double amputee after 98 surgeries and she came into my life very unexpectedly. Never knew I needed her until I got her. She was my God daughter and her mom left her with me and never came back. Couldn't think of life without her that's for sure

Jump to this post

Hi @lillee - So glad you found the Gratitude Group and joined us here. Welcome! I know that both you and your daughter are immensely fortunate to have each other's love. I hope you will stay in this group and share more about that darling little 4 year old you have in your life. Many of the members here have children, grands and great grands that brighten our lives beyond belief - and we aren't afraid to brag about them here! That's the nice part about our group.... Will you tell us more about your little one and how she make you smile!?

Hi @lillee
I agree with what @contentandwell just posted. It sounds like you are good for each other! Blessings to you both.

@hopeful33250

Good to know, @contentandwell. I've never taken my hair stylist for granted😊

Jump to this post

@hopeful33250 I have even gone to church with mine! His husband is the director of music at a very nice church so I went there once and loved it but decided it was too far away to go to for Mass.
JK

@contentandwell

@hopeful33250 I have even gone to church with mine! His husband is the director of music at a very nice church so I went there once and loved it but decided it was too far away to go to for Mass.
JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell How nice!

This morning I am very grateful to be back on Connect after taking some much needed time for myself. I was extremely exhausted and didn't feel as if I should be mentoring until I got myself in better shape. I slept a lot, ate way too much and started helping once again in gardening. My PTSD had flared way up and I could just feel it slowly oozing out of my body. I hope that you are all well. I will be joining the Stop Smoking group now and not so much on depression/anxiety.

Today I am ever-so-grateful for understanding friends. The escrow on our new house continues. In the last 10 days our patient [bless her soul!] real estate agent has absolutely been there for us. I have stepped down from three volunteer organizations' positions that I became involved in the last year; all were leadership spots. Until the physical move 1 August, I'll keep on in those endeavors. It has been emotional for me, with periods of stress reactions.
Ginger

@merpreb

This morning I am very grateful to be back on Connect after taking some much needed time for myself. I was extremely exhausted and didn't feel as if I should be mentoring until I got myself in better shape. I slept a lot, ate way too much and started helping once again in gardening. My PTSD had flared way up and I could just feel it slowly oozing out of my body. I hope that you are all well. I will be joining the Stop Smoking group now and not so much on depression/anxiety.

Jump to this post

Glad to have you back @merpreb - I admire you greatly for knowing when you need "time off" and taking care of yourself in that way. I think that is one of the most difficult skills to learn and practice. I'm afraid I don't get it right nearly often enough. Good for you!

@gingerw

Today I am ever-so-grateful for understanding friends. The escrow on our new house continues. In the last 10 days our patient [bless her soul!] real estate agent has absolutely been there for us. I have stepped down from three volunteer organizations' positions that I became involved in the last year; all were leadership spots. Until the physical move 1 August, I'll keep on in those endeavors. It has been emotional for me, with periods of stress reactions.
Ginger

Jump to this post

Ginger- Buying/building a new home is one of the most stressful moves we make as adults- it's just so damn personal and involves money and letting people who we don't know all about our finances. It's a damn intrusion! lol. The night of our closing I could have sworn that I ran a fever of over 200 I was so stressed and excited. I'm really surprised that I didn't pass out!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.