Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@debbraw Glad to hear your using the pool we are still in winter here in So.Cal grandson 58 Cold snow in Mts almost June rediculus I'm happy for you . I know the best is coming then we,'ll wish for this cooler weather

On May 8th I had open heart surgery. A Mayo Clinic cardiac surgeon replaced my failing mitral valve with a pig valve. To be honest, I didn't think I would survive the surgery but I did. Today, I am grateful to be alive, to be home, to be recovering, and to be returning to my normal life. Every breath is a miracle.

@harriethodgson1

On May 8th I had open heart surgery. A Mayo Clinic cardiac surgeon replaced my failing mitral valve with a pig valve. To be honest, I didn't think I would survive the surgery but I did. Today, I am grateful to be alive, to be home, to be recovering, and to be returning to my normal life. Every breath is a miracle.

Jump to this post

So wonderful to hear from you, @harriethodgson1. An answer to our prayers for you!! Miracles are all around us, aren't they?

@harriethodgson1

Jump to this post

@harriethodgson1 I am grateful too that you survived the surgery. When a person survives a life threatening condition, life is never the same again. My husband and sister both thought they were going to lose me, but thankfully my liver transplant came through and I am incredibly healthy now, as I am sure you will be too when you are done recovering. I consider every day to be a gift.
Take care of your recovery.
JK

@debbraw

I am immensely grateful today for a pool in our community that just opened this weekend. I can get there, exercise for an hour and get back in a timeframe that works for leaving my husband by himself. Oh, and the joy of being in the cool water when its approaching 100 degrees in FL - that is priceless! Not only is my 4-month old knee replacement going to benefit from this water therapy, my spirits will too! HELLO summer!

Jump to this post

@debbraw Yes, life goes better in the water!! In Michigan, we don't have much good weather to be in outdoor pools, but there is a YMCA not far from me and I show up for a water exercise class at 8 a.m. at least 3 mornings a week. The water temp is around 88 degrees and it feels so good to move in warm water. Just as good as a massage. I'm sure you will increase your range of motion.

@harriethodgson1

Jump to this post

@harriethodgson1 I'm so glad to hear from you ,now the rest is a piece of 🍰 no exercise I mean

@harriethodgson1

Jump to this post

@harriethodgson1
Hope your feeling better lickety split.
See what all that cooking did!!! TV dinners from now on.
Jake

@harriethodgson1

Jump to this post

@harriethodgson1 - So very glad to see you post and hear about your successful surgery. What a wonderful upbeat post to start this day. I'm hoping every day goes better and better for you. Happy to have you back!

@hopeful33250

So wonderful to hear from you, @harriethodgson1. An answer to our prayers for you!! Miracles are all around us, aren't they?

Jump to this post

Tis a miracle for sure.

So wonderful to hear such good news!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.