Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@harriethodgson1

On May 8th I had open heart surgery. A Mayo Clinic cardiac surgeon replaced my failing mitral valve with a pig valve. To be honest, I didn't think I would survive the surgery but I did. Today, I am grateful to be alive, to be home, to be recovering, and to be returning to my normal life. Every breath is a miracle.

Jump to this post

@harriethodgson1 So good to see this post! You will experience the world in a different way now, for sure. The colors more pronounced, things "sharper", just a different awareness of everything around you. We're grateful you are here, too!
Ginger

Today I am grateful to see sunshine! Yesterday we did a long drive. In fact, it was to return home from another long drive that we did 2 days earlier. Yesterday we came through slush, snow, rain, and rainbows. You see, we drove over 750 miles each way, to go look at a property that we were interested in. Not a string of properties, just one property. We put a bid in on it and it has been accepted. We are waiting for everything to get started for escrow. It will be a whirlwind time and still waiting for the other shoe to drop for everything to sink in! I am grateful to this group that will keep me grounded.
Ginger

@gingerw

Today I am grateful to see sunshine! Yesterday we did a long drive. In fact, it was to return home from another long drive that we did 2 days earlier. Yesterday we came through slush, snow, rain, and rainbows. You see, we drove over 750 miles each way, to go look at a property that we were interested in. Not a string of properties, just one property. We put a bid in on it and it has been accepted. We are waiting for everything to get started for escrow. It will be a whirlwind time and still waiting for the other shoe to drop for everything to sink in! I am grateful to this group that will keep me grounded.
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw I'm so happy for you when dreams come true .My son and wife did same thing but pulled out as a piece of the property he thought was included wasn't so they pulled out It will be a whirlwind for you but at the end you can sigh and thank goodness all is done

@lioness

@gingerw I'm so happy for you when dreams come true .My son and wife did same thing but pulled out as a piece of the property he thought was included wasn't so they pulled out It will be a whirlwind for you but at the end you can sigh and thank goodness all is done

Jump to this post

@lioness It is a short escrow, and many things to do. We hadn't planned to buy until next year, but this fell in to our laps. There are some things we are looking in to right now, and hopefully it won't be a deal breaker. The biggest part of this is that I will move up there while my husband continues to live and work here until at least next March when he retires. We thought we had a long-distance relationship before! I just moved here last July, got established, now moving again. All new Dr's again, etc.
Ginger

,@gingerw that's the worst part Dr,s bank etc. if it's meant to be you will do it but don't leave us here on cyber table

@lioness

,@gingerw that's the worst part Dr,s bank etc. if it's meant to be you will do it but don't leave us here on cyber table

Jump to this post

@lioness Definitely will not be leaving this cyber table!
Ginger

@gingerw

Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw - Oh, Ginger, I am so happy for you. There is nothing like new property, building, renovating, etc. to feel like a brand new life is coming! I've forgotten what part of the country you are in. And it sounds as if the new property is 750 miles away. So.... I'm assuming it is not a vacation site - It's really a move? Hope everything goes just like you hope. Wishing you the best.

@debbraw

@gingerw - Oh, Ginger, I am so happy for you. There is nothing like new property, building, renovating, etc. to feel like a brand new life is coming! I've forgotten what part of the country you are in. And it sounds as if the new property is 750 miles away. So.... I'm assuming it is not a vacation site - It's really a move? Hope everything goes just like you hope. Wishing you the best.

Jump to this post

@debbraw If everything goes according to how it falls, I will move up in mid to late July. Husband will continue his work here until retirement March or April next year, then move up, also. We will move things in several loads. House is fairly turnkey, and sits on 1/3 acre, on edge of a little town. Ya gotta wanna go there, it's not on your way to somewhere else. No mail delivery, everyone has a post office box. We'll put this house on the market in Feb or so. Scary, exciting, nerve wracking, all combined.
Ginger

@gingerw

@lioness It is a short escrow, and many things to do. We hadn't planned to buy until next year, but this fell in to our laps. There are some things we are looking in to right now, and hopefully it won't be a deal breaker. The biggest part of this is that I will move up there while my husband continues to live and work here until at least next March when he retires. We thought we had a long-distance relationship before! I just moved here last July, got established, now moving again. All new Dr's again, etc.
Ginger

Jump to this post

@lioness @gingerw I agree, one of the worst parts of a distant move is finding new doctors, etc., even hairdressers! I think if we manage to move, as we hope to, that we won't go too far at this point.
JK

@contentandwell

@lioness @gingerw I agree, one of the worst parts of a distant move is finding new doctors, etc., even hairdressers! I think if we manage to move, as we hope to, that we won't go too far at this point.
JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell our house older home had alot of stuff to get rid of so I made a pile of stuff to throw out ,sale and donate Bless those ladies that helped me on my estate sale snow blower 2and tractor we had 2other buildings on our 3acres the mobile home was piece of cake then sent 42 boxes out to my son's here pilled car full drove to adopted son the my son and him drove it cross country which they loved. No more

Please sign in or register to post a reply.