Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@debbraw

Glad to have you back @merpreb - I admire you greatly for knowing when you need "time off" and taking care of yourself in that way. I think that is one of the most difficult skills to learn and practice. I'm afraid I don't get it right nearly often enough. Good for you!

Jump to this post

@debbraw- Aww, thank you Debra. I really had no choice, I was at my rope's end I think

@merpreb Thankful you are doing what you need to do to take care of "YOU"!! This is of vital importance. Proud of you.

@merpreb

This morning I am very grateful to be back on Connect after taking some much needed time for myself. I was extremely exhausted and didn't feel as if I should be mentoring until I got myself in better shape. I slept a lot, ate way too much and started helping once again in gardening. My PTSD had flared way up and I could just feel it slowly oozing out of my body. I hope that you are all well. I will be joining the Stop Smoking group now and not so much on depression/anxiety.

Jump to this post

@merpreb Good morning Merry I'm glad your back was wondering where you were

@parus, @lioness- Hey you two! Hope that you are both feeling well! Finally southern NE is having some great weather and it's dry! I can play outside!

@gingerw

Today I am ever-so-grateful for understanding friends. The escrow on our new house continues. In the last 10 days our patient [bless her soul!] real estate agent has absolutely been there for us. I have stepped down from three volunteer organizations' positions that I became involved in the last year; all were leadership spots. Until the physical move 1 August, I'll keep on in those endeavors. It has been emotional for me, with periods of stress reactions.
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw Sorry to hear of your stress. Moving, buying a new home really can be stressful. I am sure that's why my husband and I are dragging our feet so much. It will be very emotional for us also. This is the home we raised our kids in. It's a tie to them, particularly since they both now live in other states. On the gratitude side though, I am very happy that we have such a great relationship with each of them. We visited our daughter in Manhattan this past weekend, and our son will be flying here to spend July 4th weekend with us.

This whole "escrow" thing in CA is different for us easterners. I never heard of it until a woman I knew in southern CA started her own escrow business. That's all lumped together with other stuff out here.
JK

@merpreb

@parus, @lioness- Hey you two! Hope that you are both feeling well! Finally southern NE is having some great weather and it's dry! I can play outside!

Jump to this post

@merpreb Hi this is a good day when I overdue one day I'm down next .Finally we have beautiful weather here

@lioness

@merpreb Hi this is a good day when I overdue one day I'm down next .Finally we have beautiful weather here

Jump to this post

@lioness
It’s suppose to be 104 here today. Bet your glad to be near the ocean!
Jake

@lioness

Jump to this post

@lioness If memory serves me correctly, you and I are a long 30 miles apart, you near the ocean, me next to the foothills. When I came out from the department at 2pm, thermometer read 104 outside air in my car. Here at home, the thermometer on north side of house in the shade is reading 99 with 28% humidity. Turned on the a/c when I got home, and hope it cools to high 60s tonight for sleep!
Ginger

@gingerw

@lioness If memory serves me correctly, you and I are a long 30 miles apart, you near the ocean, me next to the foothills. When I came out from the department at 2pm, thermometer read 104 outside air in my car. Here at home, the thermometer on north side of house in the shade is reading 99 with 28% humidity. Turned on the a/c when I got home, and hope it cools to high 60s tonight for sleep!
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw
Suppose to be 104 here today too but it won’t make it. It’s only 99 now.
Jake

@jakedduck1

@gingerw
Suppose to be 104 here today too but it won’t make it. It’s only 99 now.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 At 4pm it is now 101 on north side of house.
Ginger

Please sign in or register to post a reply.