Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

Today I am grateful that my nose works! While at my volunteer position I was approached by someone who asked me about making zucchini bread for a little get-together tomorrow for someone who is getting married this weekend. That was nice of them to think of me and to also invite me to the their little festivities. Normally I would not be asked, so part of me wonders if it's just because they also want my zucchini bread! Anyways it is in the oven now and smells really good. I actually am making a chocolate raisin zucchini bread so they will all have their chocolate fix! Also on my way home from work I stopped and got my hair cut. She actually cut quite a bit off, more than 6 inches. So now I have my summer cut, and hope it looks as nice tomorrow. It is a short layered bob-type for my wavy/curly hair.
Ginger

Hi @gingerw - your zucchini bread made me hungry and I can't even smell it. And I love the description of your "summer cut". Doesn't it just make you feel lighter and happier? I'm going to get my summer cut Thursday!

Today I'm grateful that my husband is recovering nicely from the cataract surgery he had this morning. If I can keep him in the house and away from doing yardwork for the rest of the day, I will consider my day successful!

@debbraw

Hi @gingerw - your zucchini bread made me hungry and I can't even smell it. And I love the description of your "summer cut". Doesn't it just make you feel lighter and happier? I'm going to get my summer cut Thursday!

Today I'm grateful that my husband is recovering nicely from the cataract surgery he had this morning. If I can keep him in the house and away from doing yardwork for the rest of the day, I will consider my day successful!

Jump to this post

@debbraw I had to laugh this morning! When I arrived at the police station the front desk, my sergeant, and my records staff didn't recognize me. Good thing I had my ID badge on! I didn't think that it was that dramatic but apparently so. Tomorrow will be the tell when I wash it for the first time and see how it reacts. I love short hair but having it curly you just never know what to do. If this is a good style then I will be keeping it short from now on. And oh yeah, the zucchini bread went over well, also. It was the first time in a while that I had done any baking for the Department so they know that I'll do it when the mood strikes. Maybe as we come into summer I'll have to do a fresh fruit cobbler one of these days.

I will hold good thoughts that your husband recovers well.
Ginger

@contentandwell

Today I am grateful for having had a decent check-up at my PCP yesterday, but even more so for a beautiful, belated Mother's Day gift from my daughter.
She gave a gift of a "year of school" to a girl in a foreign country such as Afghanistan, Congo, or Lebanon, thanking me for all we did for her and the opportunities she had. Her note was very touching and really made me feel appreciated.
When your kids are adults and express such appreciation it makes everything worth it.
JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell JK, Your daughter was so thoughtful to give you such a gift! I find it challenging to give gifts to my elderly in-laws who want for nothing.🙄

@gingerw

@contentandwell Hi JK, going to Rhode Island to become a Certified Zentangle Teacher. There is a 5 hr layover in Atlanta on the outbound trip, return flight is a 4 hr layover at same airport. Not a fan of airplanes [haven't flown since 2007], but not checking any luggage. Just taking a bag for the overhead bin and a back pack for under the seat. Already going over in my mind how to pare down what to take, as all supplies are given there and they have to come home with me ;))
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw Your travel times sound like the times I would have flying from/to Honolulu to Newark. I liked to fly the red eye flights. After boarding the plane dinner would be served right away and then before you know it wake up across the country!

@contentandwell

Today I am grateful for having had a decent check-up at my PCP yesterday, but even more so for a beautiful, belated Mother's Day gift from my daughter.
She gave a gift of a "year of school" to a girl in a foreign country such as Afghanistan, Congo, or Lebanon, thanking me for all we did for her and the opportunities she had. Her note was very touching and really made me feel appreciated.
When your kids are adults and express such appreciation it makes everything worth it.
JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell

Wow, is all I can say!! What a remarkable gift.

Grateful to not be required to get out in the rain. Content to remain in my woman's cave and watch birds of prey videos.

Today I’m grateful that our new dog learned he is not allowed to be in the kitchen! This is Bailey our 3yr old lab. He became a member of the family 2 weeks ago.

@sandytoes14

@contentandwell JK, Your daughter was so thoughtful to give you such a gift! I find it challenging to give gifts to my elderly in-laws who want for nothing.🙄

Jump to this post

@sandytoes14 My daughter knows me very well, and always thinks of very thoughtful gifts that are perfect for me. She and I are so much alike, the main difference being that we are in different generations/times. I think gifts of this type are great though, particularly to a person who has no need for anything like your in-laws.
JK

I am immensely grateful today for a pool in our community that just opened this weekend. I can get there, exercise for an hour and get back in a timeframe that works for leaving my husband by himself. Oh, and the joy of being in the cool water when its approaching 100 degrees in FL - that is priceless! Not only is my 4-month old knee replacement going to benefit from this water therapy, my spirits will too! HELLO summer!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.