Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

I’d like this but I think it might be a little much for me. Also thinking about stuffed peppers, wouldn’t they be easier?
12 leaves cabbage
1 cup cooked white rice
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup minced onion
White Onion, Large

1 pound extra-lean ground beef
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 1/4 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Prep
30 m
Cook 9 h
Ready In 9 h 30 m
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Boil cabbage leaves 2 minutes; drain.
In large bowl, combine 1 cup cooked rice, egg, milk, onion, ground beef, salt, and pepper. Place about 1/4 cup of meat mixture in center of each cabbage leaf, and roll up, tucking in ends. Place rolls in slow cooker.
In a small bowl, mix together tomato sauce, brown sugar, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over cabbage rolls.
Cover, and cook on Low 8 to 9 hours.
Jake

@jakedduck1

I’d like this but I think it might be a little much for me. Also thinking about stuffed peppers, wouldn’t they be easier?
12 leaves cabbage
1 cup cooked white rice
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup minced onion
White Onion, Large

1 pound extra-lean ground beef
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 1/4 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Prep
30 m
Cook 9 h
Ready In 9 h 30 m
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Boil cabbage leaves 2 minutes; drain.
In large bowl, combine 1 cup cooked rice, egg, milk, onion, ground beef, salt, and pepper. Place about 1/4 cup of meat mixture in center of each cabbage leaf, and roll up, tucking in ends. Place rolls in slow cooker.
In a small bowl, mix together tomato sauce, brown sugar, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over cabbage rolls.
Cover, and cook on Low 8 to 9 hours.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 Cabbage Rolls I did a lot of those back east then found an easier way Slice cabbage up cut it into inch pieces In casserole ad your meat rice mixture top with cabbage tomato sauce bake in oven 35O for 1hr check it starting at 45 minutes

@lioness

@jakedduck1 Cabbage Rolls I did a lot of those back east then found an easier way Slice cabbage up cut it into inch pieces In casserole ad your meat rice mixture top with cabbage tomato sauce bake in oven 35O for 1hr check it starting at 45 minutes

Jump to this post

@lioness
Linda, your a genius!!!! Bless you my dear!!!
Jake

@jakedduck1 I know haha. Easy prasy is what I like have a good one for stuffed peppers

@lioness

Jump to this post

@lioness I don't think I have ever even had cabbage rolls! I've had middle eastern stuffed grape leaves. Are cabbage rolls also middle eastern? If so I may have had them when I was young and had a Syrian boss.
Anyway, Linda, with your simplification do you cook the cabbage leaves before putting them in the casserole, or is the cooking just to make them more pliable for filling?
JK

@contentandwell

@lioness I don't think I have ever even had cabbage rolls! I've had middle eastern stuffed grape leaves. Are cabbage rolls also middle eastern? If so I may have had them when I was young and had a Syrian boss.
Anyway, Linda, with your simplification do you cook the cabbage leaves before putting them in the casserole, or is the cooking just to make them more pliable for filling?
JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell Cabbage rolls are a Polish dish. We had a lot of Polish in the community I lived in. To roll the leaves they are made more pliable but doing it the way I do you just chop the cabbage up and put all in a casserole dish much simpler I didn't like rolling the leaves if you do this you need to put a toothpick in to hold them together . Cut the core out . Use just the leaves .

How about a recipe thread??? Grateful for cookbooks.

@parus
Yes, sounds good. “Recipes for Dummies” lol
Jake

@lioness

@jakedduck1 I know haha. Easy prasy is what I like have a good one for stuffed peppers

Jump to this post

@lioness Ooh, yes, please!
Ginger

@lioness

Jump to this post

Yes, @lioness, I've made cabbage rolls like this in a casserole dish as well. I always got frustrated when I made it the old fashioned way because I'd have the cabbage break apart when I was trying to stuff it. This is so much easier and less frustrating. I like the idea of a discussion thread on Cooking Healthy and Easy. How does that sound to everyone? If you like the idea I'll start the thread this afternoon since I have a busy morning.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.