Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@gingerw

@lioness Back in the early 80s I was learning to fly a small plane, and had problems. They did an electronystagrogram [sp?], checking my inner ears, inducing dizziness, making me very sick to my stomach. The verdict was an issue in the middle part of left ear. Every so often I take a half Benadryl type pill when dizziness overwhelms me. The dramatic change in pressure in an airplane taking off, or big elevation changes, are no picnic.
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw The Dr kept asking me if I was nauseated but no I wasn't He blew cool and warm air in both ears for 1minute each They did a weird hearing test to I had new headgear 2one over head to back of ear and headphones ,glad no one saw me lol Had no side effects tonight who 15.00 at Bingo Have to wait till I see my ear Dr. Let you know then. Thanks for your concern

@hopeful33250

I'm glad that you got through the test, @lioness. Did you have any other tests done? I had that test several years ago but was not able to finish it because of nausea. Is your headache any better now?

Jump to this post

@hopeful33250 I never had any nausea with it be kept asking me but when he laid me down I had the dizziness right away and cobwebs in eye

I also had the tests and couldn't finish it because of nausea. Not fun. @hopeful33250 , @lioness

@lioness

@gingerw yep just hope it doesn't warm up fast and we need to build an arklol

Jump to this post

@lioness I hear there is a shortage of Gopher wood. So far all I have needed is a canoe with runners. Gratitude comes from within. I am still grateful for my habitat that I can take care of in my senior years.

@parus

@lioness I hear there is a shortage of Gopher wood. So far all I have needed is a canoe with runners. Gratitude comes from within. I am still grateful for my habitat that I can take care of in my senior years.

Jump to this post

@Parus I think we confiscated it when we heard Mammoth has 38ft of snow lol

@jenniferhunter

@gingerw Hissing is probably not bad if it doesn't progress to the weird growling threats that cats do and then onto a real fight. You could get a dog cage so she has something bigger she could be safe in and they could still talk through the bars and they could have more time to adjust before they are physically together. My little nervous one has hissed ever since I brought her home at 12 weeks old I think out of fear. She was born feral and probably didn't have much to eat from her mom since she was found in a window well with her brother and mom in winter. Now she knows there will always be food to eat, but she is an alpha personality. She's the smallest one, half the size of the boy which might be intimidating to her, so she acts tough. He sometimes calls her bluff and swats back, and she'll back off. He's been very tolerant of her, and he does get out of her way a lot. He tries to play kitty chase with her, and she'll jump out of the way while hissing, but then she's not upset and pretends it didn't happen. She gets in trouble when she's serious about it for being the instigator and the squirt bottle comes out. She'll stop when she sees it, if not, she gets wet.

Even though they just did something bad, remember to praise them when they stop, and maybe give a treat when they calm down. She does sometimes do the more serious growling, and I had to put her in the bathroom by herself all night a few times. She really wants to be with me, so that is something that makes her think that is what she'll remember. The reward is when they get attention and playtime from you, so that is what you take away when kitties misbehave. I had to do this to stop biting which is normal when they are telling another cat to leave them alone, but I never want a cat to think that is OK to bite me, so isolation works, and make sure you don't cave in to the sad cries. They have to have time to think about why they were bad, and only be rewarded when they are calm. The best time to get them friendly together is at feeding time when they are rubbing up against you. Let that go on for a while while you are petting them close to each other and talk nice to them and feed them next to each other so they learn they both are being treated fairly. I put spoonfuls of canned food into their separate dishes, and add more as they finish so they are in that mode of asking for more, and the boy can't just take it all. Also play with both at the same time if you can keep them interested in toys. The other will watch and want to join the fun or maybe sneak in and steal a toy... my other girl kitty does that. You just have to be patient and give them lots of time, and they have to establish who is in charge which you won't be able to change. Horses do this too, and when I had to move mine to another boarding facility, he got kicked by the others over territory. He was moved around until he was happy with his paddock mate. It turns out that he is a lady's man and is only happy in the company of mares. If there were no mares, he would get along fine with the other boys, but with them there, he has something to get jealous and worry about.

Jump to this post

@gingerw and @jenniferhunter (and any other cat lovers)

After your posts about cats I thought you would enjoy this article about cats,

http://www.whycatwhy.com/6-subtle-signs-your-cat-adores-you-understanding-kitty-affection/
@lioness

@gingerw I was worried about that since I was in the dark there was a camera recording my eye movement really interesting then Had to move my eye and follow the red dot then lay down all sides felt dizzy right away saw cobwebs it was really a weird test for sure but if it finds my problem worth it

Jump to this post

It really was one of the weirdest tests I've ever had. I'm glad that is behind you, @lioness. Looking forward to hearing about your results.

I , too am a cat lover. Once of the smartest animals on earth.

@hopeful33250

@gingerw and @jenniferhunter (and any other cat lovers)

After your posts about cats I thought you would enjoy this article about cats,

http://www.whycatwhy.com/6-subtle-signs-your-cat-adores-you-understanding-kitty-affection/

Jump to this post

@hopeful33250 I did enjoy the article and my cats do all those things. They are indoor kitties, so they bring me their toys instead of mice. I can do a belly rub on one of mine, and the other two will be upside down and I rub their chin and throat and I get kisses. One likes to bite my hair and pull it and she's the one playing in the water in the sink when I try to wash my face. Thanks, Teresa!

@jenniferhunter

@hopeful33250 I did enjoy the article and my cats do all those things. They are indoor kitties, so they bring me their toys instead of mice. I can do a belly rub on one of mine, and the other two will be upside down and I rub their chin and throat and I get kisses. One likes to bite my hair and pull it and she's the one playing in the water in the sink when I try to wash my face. Thanks, Teresa!

Jump to this post

What delightful kitties!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.