Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

Today I am grateful for a good night sleep. Yesterday we bought a dog crate for 3-speed; she spent an uneventful night in it, but definitely not a happy camper as evidenced by the way it was trashed! There have been a few times when the squirt gun was used, but mostly some glaring and hissing. Whenever the older cat glares and then walks away I give her a couple of little treats rewarding her positive behavior. It's a learning curve. 3-speed is very needy and I'm expressing that in mind pictures to the older one, so that she understands the kitten really does need her. Getting around is a problem for her as she jumps and doesn't have the balance to land where she thinks she should. The kitten likes the fleece throw so that is her safe space. She really likes being with people and on your lap which is the opposite of the older cat. Both cats and me are cabin crazy with the brain that has been going on for 2 days now and it's raining pretty hard as I post this. Time for a snooze for them, I hope
Ginger

I am so so grateful for the results of my 2 week check up after my total knee replacement. Best news: I'm released to drive, 2nd best: I can take off those awful compression hose and not have my legs feeling like little sausage links! I'm just lacking a couple of degrees on getting full extension of my knee and I have 114 degree flexion - which the doctor said was usually just about 90 degrees at this point. And I've been using the cane instead of the walker for more than a week. So... the doctor was really pleased and even though i know I have lots of recovery and plenty of PT in my future, I feel like I'm over the hump.

Thanks for all of your good wishes and warm thoughts.

@gingerw sounds so cute but at times ,last night , drove you crazy probably in time will you be able to fit her with a prosthetic?

@parus

How about a recipe thread??? Grateful for cookbooks.

Jump to this post

@parus - I like the idea of a recipe thread - maybe even broader to include recipes, food, and healthy eating. Would you like to start the thread? If so, great. If not, I would be happy to start one. I think it could have a positive outcome in collecting all of these great "foodie tips" in one place and then leaving the Gratitude thread with more focus on the original purpose. I'm happy to help in any way, just let me know what you all think.

@lioness

@gingerw sounds so cute but at times ,last night , drove you crazy probably in time will you be able to fit her with a prosthetic?

Jump to this post

@lioness I have seen prosthetics for horses and dogs but not for cats. Not sure that that is something they could do. It is up so high she would have to wear a harness around her pelvic area. She uses the stump as a rudder to help her balance on the remaining hind leg. She's pretty fastidious but still is learning how to use the sandbox with only one hind leg!
Ginger

@debbraw

I am so so grateful for the results of my 2 week check up after my total knee replacement. Best news: I'm released to drive, 2nd best: I can take off those awful compression hose and not have my legs feeling like little sausage links! I'm just lacking a couple of degrees on getting full extension of my knee and I have 114 degree flexion - which the doctor said was usually just about 90 degrees at this point. And I've been using the cane instead of the walker for more than a week. So... the doctor was really pleased and even though i know I have lots of recovery and plenty of PT in my future, I feel like I'm over the hump.

Thanks for all of your good wishes and warm thoughts.

Jump to this post

Yeah Debbra!

@gingerw

@lioness Ooh, yes, please!
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw @jakedduck1 and others here is the stuffed pepper recipe Mix your meat with your recipe I use bread crumbs ,egg mix to hold together . You can add veggies yes Leonard veggies to the meat mixture if you want I use zucchini in casserole dish put little tomato sauce on bottom then meat mixture add cut up peppers ,red,yellow ,orange and green whatever peppers you like then pour over the tomato sauce or marinara . 350 in over for about 45-1hour . Delicious and very easy to do .Enjoy

@hopeful33250

Yes, @lioness, I've made cabbage rolls like this in a casserole dish as well. I always got frustrated when I made it the old fashioned way because I'd have the cabbage break apart when I was trying to stuff it. This is so much easier and less frustrating. I like the idea of a discussion thread on Cooking Healthy and Easy. How does that sound to everyone? If you like the idea I'll start the thread this afternoon since I have a busy morning.

Jump to this post

@hopeful33250 Yes that was my problem also that's why I do the easy peasy recipe for cabbage rolls and stuffed peppers

@lioness When I was telling someone about this, they called it Cabbage Rolls for Dummies😊 I had no problem with that, doing things the easy way is just fine at this stage of life. No need to make life difficult.

@hopeful33250

@lioness When I was telling someone about this, they called it Cabbage Rolls for Dummies😊 I had no problem with that, doing things the easy way is just fine at this stage of life. No need to make life difficult.

Jump to this post

@hopeful33250
I totally agree Teresa. I actually got excited about making it. Pretty frightening for me
Jake

Please sign in or register to post a reply.