Gratitude Discussion Group

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Nov 24, 2018

Hi everyone! Just before Thanksgiving @michellegraffradford posted a blog called Gratitude Changes Everything. She suggested three techniques to help incorporate gratitude into our daily lives:

• Start the Day with Gratitude (before getting up think of three people you are grateful for)

• Maintain a Gratitude Journal to record times when you are grateful

• Count Blessings – not sheep! (Review the day and remember moments of gratitude)

Her blogpost was so inspiring that a lot of us decided we wanted to form a Gratitude Group to keep the attitude of gratitude going. The blogpost area is not an ideal space for a big discussion group so I am moving the discussion over here to the “Just Want to Talk” Group. Let’s use this space to share and discuss our Gratitude Journey. I’m going to suggest that we each try to take a minute from the day and post here what has made us feel thankful today. It can be as small as a stranger’s smile on the bus or as large as fulfilling a major life dream – or anywhere in between. We can also discuss how we are doing with the three techniques. Sometimes it is easier to form new habits with support from others.

Michelle's full blogpost is at the link below. You may want to review it or print it out to help get started!
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/page/living-with-mild-cognitive-impairment-mci/newsfeed/gratitude-changes-everything/

I look forward to hearing from others in the Gratitude Group and to having others join us here! Thanks to those who already shared great stories. If you haven't yet, what gratitude will you share today?!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@lioness

@merpreb Will be leaving soon for it I,vs been having more headaches then usual

Jump to this post

@lioness I imagine the stress and nerves may have something to do with the headaches, too.
Ginger

@hopeful33250

@gingerw
I would love to see a picture of "3 Speed"!

Jump to this post

@hopeful33250 A picture may not happen for a while. She is a blur of energy. Her right hind leg is gone, pretty much up to the socket. She is using the bit left as a rudder to balance herself. She is the coloring of tortoise stripes, with blotches of cream and white, but as if someone muddled the colors, so it is known as a diluted tortoise. She has a cry that is so tiny even a kitten's cry is stronger than hers! And she cries at the weirdest things playing with a yarn ball or chasing the rubber ball and she cries, so not sure what's going on. I am really hoping that she and the first cat make up to be friends pretty soon so that I don't have to worry about Kitty WW3 happening in the household. At least the both of them are eating and using the litter box - that's a good thing. She is enough of a kitten at 11 months that she goes full bore and then suddenly conks out for a nap!
Ginger

@lioness

@gingerw Saw in news we have over 446 ft of snow at Mammoth hope we don't have floors now back home we did from snow melt

Jump to this post

@lioness
I believe you mean 446 inches. Your going to have some full reservoirs.
Jake

@gingerw

@hopeful33250 A picture may not happen for a while. She is a blur of energy. Her right hind leg is gone, pretty much up to the socket. She is using the bit left as a rudder to balance herself. She is the coloring of tortoise stripes, with blotches of cream and white, but as if someone muddled the colors, so it is known as a diluted tortoise. She has a cry that is so tiny even a kitten's cry is stronger than hers! And she cries at the weirdest things playing with a yarn ball or chasing the rubber ball and she cries, so not sure what's going on. I am really hoping that she and the first cat make up to be friends pretty soon so that I don't have to worry about Kitty WW3 happening in the household. At least the both of them are eating and using the litter box - that's a good thing. She is enough of a kitten at 11 months that she goes full bore and then suddenly conks out for a nap!
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw Bless you for taking a little kitty who didn't have a great chance at life. Many people wouldn't have considered a disabled animal. That warms my heart. Certainly all abandoned animals need help, and love to survive. When I brought 2 kittens home to my adult boy kitty, I used my walk in shower for the kittens so they could all see each other and not hurt each other, and it took a good 6 weeks before they stopped trying to attack through the glass. All of them did it. They took turns on who had the run of the bedroom, and I made sure to give everyone equal attention. We began supervised all together play time at 6 weeks when they seemed ready. I still tucked the kittens into their glass apartment at night with treats, and they had everything they needed in there, food, water, beds and a litter box and they went went to bed willingly knowing they were getting some treats and were patient until I let them out in the morning. I still did this for over a year since I didn't want kittens running on top of me while I slept, but after my boy showed them how to open the glass doors, that was the end of the kitty condo, and they graduated to sleeping on the bed with me, but had some disagreements as to who gets to sleep where which are easily solved with a squirt bottle when it gets out of hand if they don't listen. Remember to reinforce good behavior all the time, so they know how to please you. In their minds, it's all about being cared for by you, their favorite human or momma cat.

One of the kittens needed extra socializing and was nervous and I spent a lot more time with her which she liked, and she decided she didn't want to share my attention, so we have some bickering, but they do all get along. I supervise meals so my boy kitty doesn't eat everything (because he will), and the girl kittens (now 2) burn off all their calories chasing each other. They do play with the boy too, and the nervous kitten will invite the boy to play, and get upset when he swats back at her, so we still work on that. One of my girls talks to the toys she's pouncing on while she's playing by herself as if she's saying "watch me". The other one (nervous girl) chitters like a racoon when she's talking around me, but she's quiet when she's playing alone. She plays fetch with me and wants me to see her jump into the air to get her toy which she also flings up, so she can catch it. Your kitty's crying my be her expressing her appreciation of happiness for being rescued. She's been through some trauma and I'm sure was terrified by the injury and possibly her vet care after she was injured. I would be emotional if it was me.

@jakedduck1

@lioness I was expecting your grandson to say neither. Sounds like you brainwashed the kid.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 This is not brainwashing!! This is healthy. Maybe you were trying to be funny with your comment. Nothing wrong with teaching a child to eat healthy. I found your comment rude.

@hopeful33250

@jakedduck1 Hummus might be a good sub for the high fat dip. However, you would have to find out about the salt content first.

Jump to this post

@hopeful33250 Hummus is at the
Top of my favorites. I make my own. I also successfully sprouted brown rice. Woo-hoo!

Very impressive, @parus!

@jenniferhunter

@gingerw Bless you for taking a little kitty who didn't have a great chance at life. Many people wouldn't have considered a disabled animal. That warms my heart. Certainly all abandoned animals need help, and love to survive. When I brought 2 kittens home to my adult boy kitty, I used my walk in shower for the kittens so they could all see each other and not hurt each other, and it took a good 6 weeks before they stopped trying to attack through the glass. All of them did it. They took turns on who had the run of the bedroom, and I made sure to give everyone equal attention. We began supervised all together play time at 6 weeks when they seemed ready. I still tucked the kittens into their glass apartment at night with treats, and they had everything they needed in there, food, water, beds and a litter box and they went went to bed willingly knowing they were getting some treats and were patient until I let them out in the morning. I still did this for over a year since I didn't want kittens running on top of me while I slept, but after my boy showed them how to open the glass doors, that was the end of the kitty condo, and they graduated to sleeping on the bed with me, but had some disagreements as to who gets to sleep where which are easily solved with a squirt bottle when it gets out of hand if they don't listen. Remember to reinforce good behavior all the time, so they know how to please you. In their minds, it's all about being cared for by you, their favorite human or momma cat.

One of the kittens needed extra socializing and was nervous and I spent a lot more time with her which she liked, and she decided she didn't want to share my attention, so we have some bickering, but they do all get along. I supervise meals so my boy kitty doesn't eat everything (because he will), and the girl kittens (now 2) burn off all their calories chasing each other. They do play with the boy too, and the nervous kitten will invite the boy to play, and get upset when he swats back at her, so we still work on that. One of my girls talks to the toys she's pouncing on while she's playing by herself as if she's saying "watch me". The other one (nervous girl) chitters like a racoon when she's talking around me, but she's quiet when she's playing alone. She plays fetch with me and wants me to see her jump into the air to get her toy which she also flings up, so she can catch it. Your kitty's crying my be her expressing her appreciation of happiness for being rescued. She's been through some trauma and I'm sure was terrified by the injury and possibly her vet care after she was injured. I would be emotional if it was me.

Jump to this post

What a cute, sweet story, @jenniferhunter

@parus

@hopeful33250 Hummus is at the
Top of my favorites. I make my own. I also successfully sprouted brown rice. Woo-hoo!

Jump to this post

@parus Haven't figured out how to do it myself yet, but I love Athenos Roasted Red Pepper hummus, and it is lower fat and healthier than other brands. My standard breakfast for several years has been an apple sliced up and eaten with that hummus. Right amount of protein, and the fruit. Another favorite bfast is oatmeal in many forms except cookies.
Ginger

@jakedduck1

@lioness
I believe you mean 446 inches. Your going to have some full reservoirs.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 @lioness The official word is the drought moved from severe to moderate with this storm season.
Ginger

Please sign in or register to post a reply.