Anyone taken Evenity (romosozumab) for Osteoporosis?

Posted by arlene7 @arlene7, May 27, 2020

Has anyone taken Evenity? I understand it’s only been on the market for a little over a year. I’m hoping it will help with my severe osteoporosis. Any information is helpful.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Osteoporosis & Bone Health Support Group.

@gravity3

What is his plan for drug sequencing after prolia?

Maybe check out Dr. Benjamin Leder's presentation on May 21 at 7
OsteoBoston.org

Jump to this post

I think I stay on Prolia but I haven’t gotten that far yet.

I just had my 4th evenity treatment last week. The only side effect I’ve had so far is fatigue after 10-14 days from treatment which lasts about 3 or 4 days. So far no complaints

@lauratys

This is good information for everyone. I wish I had stopped after 6 months. Up to that point had no adverse reactions. I did 11 months and am still struggling with some degree for arthralgia after stopping Feb 2023. I never had any arthritis pain prior to Evenity. I never knew about the 6 month benefit window.

Jump to this post

Hi @lauratys
I'm so sorry that the side effects lasted so long. Are they getting any better now?
I had my 5th set of injections last Tuesday. Over the following days I had periodic tingling in my ankles. All has been going well up to now with no remarkable side effects. Today I got sudden sharp pain in one ankle, and I can't walk on it. I took an NSAID but prefer to avoid doing that. I've also got an ice pack on it. Is there anything in particular that you've found that alleviates the pain?

I took 3 months of Evenity shots for low bone density because I have not had any prior stroke or heart incidents. After 3 months I developed severe heart arrhythmias that were occurring several times a day. I went to see my cardiologist and it happened while I was on an EKG machine, so they recorded the whole thing. My heart went to 230 beats per minute for a minute and then dropped back down to 120, then went back to 230. I was oscillating like that for quite a few minutes as I sat on a chair, after getting off the EKG machine. I suspect that if I had any vascular blockages in my system, I would have had a stroke right then and there. I think the Evenity shots caused the arrhythmia episodes. I had to have an ablation heart surgery within 2 weeks. So in order to prevent a POSSIBLE bone issue later in life, I ended having cardiac surgery immediately. This is NOT a good tradeoff.

Since getting off the Evenity shots, all the arrhythmia episodes went away, thank goodness. I am back to diet and exercise. I now work out 7 days a week for about 45 minutes with both jogging and lifting weights to hopefully build bone. I am also told that new measurements such as trabecular scores are better measurements of bone quality than just bone density measurements. My trabecular scores are above average.

I am 67 years old and very active and healthy. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis quite a few years ago which was surprising to me. I suspect that being born in Asia, drinking milk was not the norm and also the local water was not floridated. I have not had a bone scan since the ablation surgery.

I don’t know if my reaction is just specific to me. It feels like the Evenity shots acted like stimulants to my system. I have never had any heart issues prior to taking Evenity and nobody in my immediate family has either.

@hopefullibrarian

Hi @lauratys
I'm so sorry that the side effects lasted so long. Are they getting any better now?
I had my 5th set of injections last Tuesday. Over the following days I had periodic tingling in my ankles. All has been going well up to now with no remarkable side effects. Today I got sudden sharp pain in one ankle, and I can't walk on it. I took an NSAID but prefer to avoid doing that. I've also got an ice pack on it. Is there anything in particular that you've found that alleviates the pain?

Jump to this post

My pain was in joints and muscles and got better slowly about 3 mos post Evenity but never has totally gone away as Fosomax stirred it all up again. Switched to Actonel and that is manageable. I never had any aches or pains prior to these meds. The Actonel is okay but I think I am just sensitive to these drugs but want to try to keep Evenity gains, of course! Best to you and listen to your body as you know you best!!

I just finished 12th injections of Evenity. It has been uneventful.
Before starting this treatment, I was terrified of Evenity.
I start Reclast this month, so I have shifted my focus of anxiety to that.
Everyone is different.

@lauratys

Unfortunately yes and it started just about a week ago. I seem to be able to take Fosomax for 6-8 weeks then get pretty significant hip joint pain. I had that with Evenity at month 7 or 8. I don’t think my body likes antiresorptive drugs. I may try switching to daily Fosomax but waiting a couple of weeks to see if pain decreases throughout the week with 70 mg dosing. It’s just a challenge to feel like I have arthritis when I had zero aches/pains prior to Evenity and Fosomax .

Jump to this post

Where did you feel the arthritis pain? I started Evenity last June and by July I was having strange tingling and pain in my mid back. I do have stable compression fractures in my thoracic spine. I have had increasing pain and am even on a daily dose of Meloxicam to help (doesn't always give me much relief). I have one more shot in 2 weeks and hoping the pain and tingling subside. I was going to start Fosomax but your experience scares me. Not sure what to do at this point. I just hope I see some results in my Dexa scan. I have gone from being very active to doing a minimum of things. It's even getting hard to enjoy my grandchildren.

I've had 5 injections of Evenity with no side effects. No pain during injection. Are there others out there with the same experience? I think we only hear from those having issues so it gives a slanted view and can scare/worry those thinking about going on it.
I am not minimizing the experience of those who are having side effects, just stating my experience.

@susanfalcon52

I just finished 12th injections of Evenity. It has been uneventful.
Before starting this treatment, I was terrified of Evenity.
I start Reclast this month, so I have shifted my focus of anxiety to that.
Everyone is different.

Jump to this post

Sorry to hear this. I didn't have much luck either on Evenity. Had high hopes. Hope Reclast helps.

I don’t know if evenity worked. Waiting for dexa report.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.