Anyone taken Evenity (romosozumab) for Osteoporosis?

Posted by arlene7 @arlene7, May 27, 2020

Has anyone taken Evenity? I understand it’s only been on the market for a little over a year. I’m hoping it will help with my severe osteoporosis. Any information is helpful.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Osteoporosis & Bone Health Support Group.

@windyshores

@susanfalcon52 policies of Medicare Advantage are not relevant since it is Medicare Part B that covers Evenity given in a doctor's office or infusion center. People with Medicare Advantage are covered by Part B for Evenity, not their private plans. I pay 20%.

Jump to this post

It is my understanding that when you have Medicare Advantage, also know as a Medicare Part C plan, it subsumes both Part A and Part B for plan participants. I think of this role as providing an umbrella under which Parts A(hospitalization), B ( doctors and outpatient treatment,) and often Part D (medication not covered under Part B) are administered.

Although an Advantage Plan must provide the same benefits as Medicare Parts A& B, I think it can play around a bit with the procedure for obtaining those benefits. For example, the expanding trend of prior approval might be just that sort of 'playing around.'

I thought I could provide a cite to where I read this on one of the Medicare.gov myriad websites, but cannot locate it now.

@rjd

It is doubtful whether Medicare covers Evenity BECAUSE injections are give in an infusion center. Windy' injections are Medicare covered and I understand her to say that her injection is given in her doctor's office.

Jump to this post

I was told by my supplemental insurance that Evenity is fully covered by my plans (Medicare plus plan F).

Instead of conjecture I suggest contacting your insurance company.

@rjd

It is my understanding that when you have Medicare Advantage, also know as a Medicare Part C plan, it subsumes both Part A and Part B for plan participants. I think of this role as providing an umbrella under which Parts A(hospitalization), B ( doctors and outpatient treatment,) and often Part D (medication not covered under Part B) are administered.

Although an Advantage Plan must provide the same benefits as Medicare Parts A& B, I think it can play around a bit with the procedure for obtaining those benefits. For example, the expanding trend of prior approval might be just that sort of 'playing around.'

I thought I could provide a cite to where I read this on one of the Medicare.gov myriad websites, but cannot locate it now.

Jump to this post

@rjd In my experience your post is not correct. Medicare Part B is not in the umbrella of Medicare Advantage and my Evenity was covered by regular Medicare B, not my Advantage Plan. I cannot have a supplement with my Advantage Plan so I paid 20%. I don't know but it seems those with regular Medicare plus a good supplement may pay little or nothing. After all my Advantage Plan is only $79/month and it covers Part D meds, dental, vision, hearing.

I agree with @normahorn that this discussion is probably better conducted with our insurance companies!

I would never dispute what anyone said regarding Medicare Advantage plans and Evenity coverage, because I do not understand those plans. I was only speaking to my experience which is with traditional Medicare. I was not offered the option of receiving Evenity at the doctor’s office. I have been given that option for Reclast, however.

@normahorn

I was told by my supplemental insurance that Evenity is fully covered by my plans (Medicare plus plan F).

Instead of conjecture I suggest contacting your insurance company.

Jump to this post

Connibar DID contact her insurance company....twice. First contact they told her a copay amount on which she relied to seek treatment. The second contact was when she learned she was responsible for an amount considerably larger than what she was first told.

Welcome to the world of Medicare Advantage.

@windyshores

@rjd In my experience your post is not correct. Medicare Part B is not in the umbrella of Medicare Advantage and my Evenity was covered by regular Medicare B, not my Advantage Plan. I cannot have a supplement with my Advantage Plan so I paid 20%. I don't know but it seems those with regular Medicare plus a good supplement may pay little or nothing. After all my Advantage Plan is only $79/month and it covers Part D meds, dental, vision, hearing.

I agree with @normahorn that this discussion is probably better conducted with our insurance companies!

Jump to this post

Perhaps you might review the Explanation of Benefits for the Evenity and see who issued it. If it came from the government,, then it was processed by Medicare. If it came from your Medicare Advantage insurer, then that is likely the answer.

People with a Medicare supplement (aka Medigap) pay a monthly premium that is often far greater than what those who have Medicare Advantage pay, with some Advantage plans having no monthly premium.

A good overview of how all the various Medicare Plans relate to one another can be reviewed here. https://www.medicareinteractive.org/get-answers/medicare-basics/medicare-coverage-overview/original-medicare

Medicare is unnecessarily complex and makes it difficult to identify anyone who really knows what is going on so an intelligent decision about treatment costs can be made.

Again, for those of us with Medicare Advantage Plans, Medicare Advantage does not pay for Evenity. It is covered by regular Medicare Part B for us as well, We pay a premium for part B of Medicare, which can be automatically taken out of social security ($174.70/month). This is in addition to the premium for our Advantage plans. There are no Medigap supplementals available for Medicare Advantage plans. Most Advantage Plans cover drugs, but not those given in the office, which are covered by Part B.

@connibar

Hello, I was told by my Medicare advantage plan that my monthly Evenity shotes were a $20 co pay. The first month's bill was just processed and I owe over $800!! Help!!! I need one month, this is half of my social security check!!

Jump to this post

@connibar, What a horrible shock! I'm so sorry that happened.
I'm on commercial insurance and able to get assistance from Amgen directly. I wish they had a program to help those on Medicare like yourself.
They do however offer information on non-profits that do if you call them at (866) 264-2778 Monday - Friday 9:00 am - 8:00 pm ET
I hope you can find help paying for this rediculously expensive treatment that many of us so badly need.

@hopefullibrarian

@connibar, What a horrible shock! I'm so sorry that happened.
I'm on commercial insurance and able to get assistance from Amgen directly. I wish they had a program to help those on Medicare like yourself.
They do however offer information on non-profits that do if you call them at (866) 264-2778 Monday - Friday 9:00 am - 8:00 pm ET
I hope you can find help paying for this rediculously expensive treatment that many of us so badly need.

Jump to this post

@hopefullibrarian thank you!! I appealed the claim and noted that I had an online chat with the $20 copay quoted to me. I see that my claim is now being processed again. I am praying that it was all just a horrible mistake! Otherwise, I will be making alot of calls!! I really appreciate everyone's advice!

@windyshores

@connibar on my Medicare Advantage we pay 20% of the cost and Medicare part B pays 80% since it is given in the office. My cost is $427/month. You might want to call Amgen to ask if there is assistance available!

Jump to this post

Same with my Medicare Advantage. I pay 20%, which has been $420-$470 each set of injections. I get $450 a month from my ex, so I figure he’s paying for them. He owes me that. 😁 I couldn’t qualify for Amgen’s financial aid, applied to another program and never heard back.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.