Mayo Clinic Connect
Has anyone experience Balanitis? How long does it take to resolve once treated with clotrimazole cream? Thanks.
Hi @LMH963 here is more information on balanitis: https://www.healthline.com/health/balanitis
Did your doctor give you any guidance as to how long until it resolves? How long have you been having symptoms?
Jump to this post
Thanks for the information. I have a follow up appointment with doctor in about 4 weeks.
what causes balanitis and what is the best over the counter medication?
There are a few causes. The website indicated in Ethan’s note has good information. I was instructed to use Lotrimin.
Liked by Colleen Young, Connect Director
Hi @lloyd12345, As @LMH963 mentioned, Ethan provided a good article about balanitis above. Here's another one from Harvard Medical
– Balanitis https://www.health.harvard.edu/a_to_z/balanitis-a-to-z
"Balanitis is an infection or inflammation of the skin on the head (glans) of the penis. …
A variety of infections and skin conditions can cause balanitis. These include:
– Infections with yeast (Candida) or bacteria that live on the skin (the most common cause)
– Sexually transmitted infections, such as herpes simplex
– Irritation of the skin by soap, detergents or spermicidal jelly
– Benign (noncancerous) skin conditions such as psoriasis
– Some types of skin cancer (very rare)
Treatment depends on the cause."
Have you discussed this with you medical provider?
version 22.214.171.124.3.2Page loaded in 0.426 seconds