Learn how to use Mayo Clinic Connect
Request an Appointment
← Return to Balanitis
what causes balanitis and what is the best over the counter medication?
Jump to this post
There are a few causes. The website indicated in Ethan’s note has good information. I was instructed to use Lotrimin.
Hi @lloyd12345, As @LMH963 mentioned, Ethan provided a good article about balanitis above. Here's another one from Harvard Medical
– Balanitis https://www.health.harvard.edu/a_to_z/balanitis-a-to-z
"Balanitis is an infection or inflammation of the skin on the head (glans) of the penis. …
A variety of infections and skin conditions can cause balanitis. These include:
– Infections with yeast (Candida) or bacteria that live on the skin (the most common cause)
– Sexually transmitted infections, such as herpes simplex
– Irritation of the skin by soap, detergents or spermicidal jelly
– Benign (noncancerous) skin conditions such as psoriasis
– Some types of skin cancer (very rare)
Treatment depends on the cause."
Have you discussed this with you medical provider?
Create an account to connect with other patients and caregivers like you.Ask questions, get answers, and give and get support.Also follow blogs from Mayo Clinic experts.
Already have an account? Sign In