What's outside of your picture window today?

Posted by John, Volunteer Mentor @johnbishop, Nov 25, 2020

As we get ready for the real winter to show up and COVID-19 still playing a major part in our lives I like to spend moments of my day de-stressing about what's going on in the world today. All I have to do is look out the window and observe some of natures beautiful creatures, how they interact and ponder how small it makes my troubles seem. Sometimes I may even get the opportunity to take a photo or two. How about you? Anything going on outside of your window(s) that you want to share?

For those members that have the ability to size your photos before you upload them to the discussion, may I suggest using the following sizes:
– 500 x 335 pixels (landscape)
– 210 x 210 pixels (square)

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

My neighbor and his dog chasing a ball up and down the football size green in front of our houses. Fun to watch.

Filled up my bird feeder yesterday in anticipation of the winter storm predicted for this evening and a new covering of snow. Was happy to see some colorful house finches.

We recently had two trees cut down on our empty lot. The one was already dead, and threatening to fall over on the house, After limbing it and cutting the trunk up for firewood, we have a large pile of smaller branches waiting to be cut up. Our neighborhood deer have found that this pile is not only great to pick through, but as they start to shed winter coats, the "itchies" are helped by rubbing on those branches! The blissful expression as they get that elusive spot, is priceless!

Meanwhile, we have a winter storm warning through Sunday now, for more rain and snow.
Ginger

@johnbishop

Filled up my bird feeder yesterday in anticipation of the winter storm predicted for this evening and a new covering of snow. Was happy to see some colorful house finches.

Jump to this post

@johnbishop Spring must be here, everyone is looking out their back window. It has been quite a while since any comments or pictures have been posted. I am so glad everyone is sharing again. I wished I could post a picture but still have a landline and no cell phone. This afternoon late, there were all kinds of storm warnings and 60mph winds but the worst was east of us. And then, there was a loud crash, and one of our HUGE oak trees with multiple trunks on either side of the sidewalk leading to the patio (maybe 10 feet from the house) came crashing down. Thank goodness it missed the truck, car, and most important Abby (the guard dog), two very pg mother cats, and three others. There is no getting out of our driveway. Also of the two remaining trunks, the red-headed woodpeckers' homes are still standing. Now above all that, it was 80 degrees out. And looking out to pasture we have two new black spring calves. Welcome Spring.
Hope you are well and staying healthy. I love the birds and furry friends. KLH

@kilh

@johnbishop Spring must be here, everyone is looking out their back window. It has been quite a while since any comments or pictures have been posted. I am so glad everyone is sharing again. I wished I could post a picture but still have a landline and no cell phone. This afternoon late, there were all kinds of storm warnings and 60mph winds but the worst was east of us. And then, there was a loud crash, and one of our HUGE oak trees with multiple trunks on either side of the sidewalk leading to the patio (maybe 10 feet from the house) came crashing down. Thank goodness it missed the truck, car, and most important Abby (the guard dog), two very pg mother cats, and three others. There is no getting out of our driveway. Also of the two remaining trunks, the red-headed woodpeckers' homes are still standing. Now above all that, it was 80 degrees out. And looking out to pasture we have two new black spring calves. Welcome Spring.
Hope you are well and staying healthy. I love the birds and furry friends. KLH

Jump to this post

above comment @loribmt @gingerw @sueinmn @ess77 @colleenyoung @jakedduck1
Forgot to add KLH

@kilh, Woke up to an April Fool’s joke with 12+ inches of snow. Mother Nature must have missed the memo that Spring has sprung! It’s a beautiful marshmallow world though! ☃kilh Woke up to an April Fool’s joke with 12+ inches of snow. Mother Nature must have missed the memo that Spring has sprung! It’s a beautiful marshmallow world though! ☃️

It’s lightly snowing right now (almost 8am). The last few days it’s been very cold for me, so I’ve had to exercise indoors. I’m looking forward to spring as is my indoor cat, so the little animals will come out and entertain him.

70 degrees and sunny with strong wind warnings. These delightful visitors are taking advantage of a free lunch.
Central Kentucky

First, in the 61 years I've owned this house on the Oregon coast, we've never had actual snow that covered the grass...a few times, a bit of snow with blades of grass sticking up, but never real snow. Last month, we had TWO snow storms that left inches of snow, right here on the edge of the continent, even on the beach! Overall, it has both been the coldest winter here I've ever known, but with far less flooding than usual: apparently all the cold slows down how much water flows off the steep hills above us. Yesterday, we got a warning from the county emergency services: more snow, even below a thousand feet, through the Coast Range. meaning no one should plan to drive from the coast to the valley or vice versa this weekend. The alert started, "This is NOT an April fool joke..."

Fortunately, I got an ambulance to come in order to check my husband into our local hospital (necessary in order to try to get him into a rehab facility) yesterday. When I got home last night, I had to park out by the road, as the creek that crosses our driveway was even with it, with water all the way across. Now, that's the usual winter here: parking out by the road, donning knee boots to carry things down, across the creek, and back up the hill to the house. Usually, flood season is from November though the end of March, but this year we apparently didn't get enough flooding during winter, so we're going to have to add April to the list of months I can't use my own driveway. Did I say I really love development...not?

@loribmt

@kilh, Woke up to an April Fool’s joke with 12+ inches of snow. Mother Nature must have missed the memo that Spring has sprung! It’s a beautiful marshmallow world though! ☃kilh Woke up to an April Fool’s joke with 12+ inches of snow. Mother Nature must have missed the memo that Spring has sprung! It’s a beautiful marshmallow world though! ☃️

Jump to this post

@loribmt Oh My! But Beautiful. The old tree is being sawed apart as I write. Not very warm out. Arkansas really got hit and we lucked out. It could have been us. Thanks for the pictures and enjoy the view. KLH

Please sign in or register to post a reply.