Chronic Pain members - Welcome, please introduce yourself

Posted by Kelsey Mohring @kelseydm, Apr 27, 2016

Welcome to the new Chronic Pain group.

I’m Kelsey and I’m the moderator of the group. I look forwarding to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.

Why not take a minute and introduce yourself.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Chronic Pain Support Group.

I'm 86 and suffer from arthritis, Charcot foot, diabetes and chronic kidney disease. some days it's hard to do anything yet i know i must keep moving.

@sherrycarroll14

I'm 86 and suffer from arthritis, Charcot foot, diabetes and chronic kidney disease. some days it's hard to do anything yet i know i must keep moving.

Jump to this post

Hi Sherry,
Dealing with multiple chronic conditions isn't easy, especially when your conditions make it hard to be mobile, but moving is the best thing you can do for yourself.

I encourage you to follow these 2 groups:
- Diabetes/Endocrine System support group https://connect.mayoclinic.org/group/diabetes-and-endocrine-problems/
- Kidney & Bladder support group https://connect.mayoclinic.org/group/kidney-conditions/

I want you to know that you are not alone. There are many members who are living with both these conditions (and other conditions too). I invite you to post an introduction to this discussion and I'll bring others in to join the party.
- Who else is living with Diabetes (TD2) and kidney disease (CKD3)? https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/diabetestd2-with-ckd3/

I'm 75 and had a stroke after Vertebral Artery Tear 13 months ago. I was a marathon runner until my stroke, and while much of my function has recovered, I have awful burning neural pain which makes everything hurt so much. Oh just to be able to walk for an hour would feel like heaven! I am working hard...most recently on Pain Reprocessing Therapy.

@rebsue

I'm 75 and had a stroke after Vertebral Artery Tear 13 months ago. I was a marathon runner until my stroke, and while much of my function has recovered, I have awful burning neural pain which makes everything hurt so much. Oh just to be able to walk for an hour would feel like heaven! I am working hard...most recently on Pain Reprocessing Therapy.

Jump to this post

@rebsue Welcome rebsue. I can only imagine how difficult the sudden stop and slow down must be for you after being so physically active. Congrats on running marathons into your 70's! You being a marathon runner, leaves no doubt in my mind that you are working hard on recovery. Do you mind sharing more about pain processing therapy? Are you working on any other chronic pain strategies?

@rwinney

@rebsue Welcome rebsue. I can only imagine how difficult the sudden stop and slow down must be for you after being so physically active. Congrats on running marathons into your 70's! You being a marathon runner, leaves no doubt in my mind that you are working hard on recovery. Do you mind sharing more about pain processing therapy? Are you working on any other chronic pain strategies?

Jump to this post

Pain reprocessing is very popular way to treat chronic pain right now. There are some books out in it. My therapist is trying to use it with me. It's basically accepting and acknowledging the pain and reprocessing it as "there", but not owning it. Very hard to do.

Hi 62 and have Fibro, Sjogrens, Degenertive Disc Hoshiemoto thyroid I moderate a Chronic Pain Group here in Muskegon Mi

@linamend

Pain reprocessing is very popular way to treat chronic pain right now. There are some books out in it. My therapist is trying to use it with me. It's basically accepting and acknowledging the pain and reprocessing it as "there", but not owning it. Very hard to do.

Jump to this post

Interesting. I hope it works for you. Good luck!

@rwinney

Jump to this post

The curable app is where I first connected with pain reprocessing therapy and it’s about changing your relationship to pain by rewiring your brain to feel safe as it is misinterpreting the pain sensations. I’ve tried laser therapy. I do acupuncture and physical therapy. I am experimenting with small amounts of THC. I take gabapentin prescribed by my physiatrist. None of the experts can explain my pain and tell me I am an experiment of one.

@loke

Hi 62 and have Fibro, Sjogrens, Degenertive Disc Hoshiemoto thyroid I moderate a Chronic Pain Group here in Muskegon Mi

Jump to this post

Hi @loke. Thanks for joining the conversation! I'm glad you are involved with a chronic pain group. How has the group helped you productively deal with or manage your chronic symptoms? Do you mind sharing a bit more?

@rebsue

Jump to this post

Bummer- I had the femoral nerve injured after hip replacement, my leg felt like there were firecrackers in it, Burning pain is
nerve pain and it takes a long time to heal. Is PT recommended? If so, take advantage of what they can offer. I find water therapy helped me the most. When I had my left hip done the sciatic nerve was injured and I had a dropped foot. It took about 2 years in water therapy to regain my foot to its previous condition. Don't give up. This is a process and with your doctors approval you can try things accupuncture, PT, and other things. Try to be positive, Good luck!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.