Chronic Pain members - Welcome, please introduce yourself

Posted by Kelsey Mohring @kelseydm, Apr 27, 2016

Welcome to the new Chronic Pain group.

I’m Kelsey and I’m the moderator of the group. I look forwarding to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.

Why not take a minute and introduce yourself.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Chronic Pain Support Group.

@rwinney

@rivermaya34 I'm no expert on insurances and know many have no wiggle room for switching after the window closes on renewal, but it never hurts to ask and make 100% sure that there are no exceptions to this rule due to health. A closed mouth doesn't get fed, I always say, and you've got nothing to lose by double checking. If you already have, bummer....on to the next plan.

I'm sure your doctor will come through with recommendations. Please let me know how you make out. Sending positive vibes your way.

How have you been doing otherwise? How have you been managing finding time for yourself and your studies without too much overdoing?

Jump to this post

@rwinney Yeah, it kind of stinks. But, the light is still shining through and I've chosen to stay in its presence at all costs. With this new school, I've had to regiment all my homework and other studies. My day-to-day is more structured than I'm used to. I don't enjoy it entirely, but I know that ultimately it's in my favor, whether I can see/feel/taste the immediate or possibly delayed results. I will say also, that I've noticed myself being a lot more mindful of my plate and what's on it. In addition, I'm really tuning into my body's needs i.e. rest. I'm really slowing down and exhausted more often than not. Pain constantly fluctuates. I'm trying to train my brain to accept the coming changes but also being proactive in evolving a counter plan of attack. Thing like introducing a walk here and there if possible, or drawing or crocheting if I feel I can't be "up and at 'em". And most of all, learning to enjoy gracious moments, small or big. For example, watching the Olympics for 20 mins or self-tattooing for 10 mins or just seeing the smiles on little kids' faces as I give back to them, in hopes of eternal impact. Life is hard, but my spirit is stronger 😉 <3 Thanks for always looking out for me and encouraging me and so many others daily. I pray you are well, sending all of the good in this world your way! 🙂

@rwinney

@rivermaya34, @pollysparrow
My experience in getting to the Mayo Clinic Pain Management Center was at first a denial of my insurance because I didn't have out of network coverage. I was determined to get there and knew it may take some strategic planning and time. I decided to wait until my insurance was up for renewal then chose a plan that allowed me out of network coverage, specifically Mayo, and one I knew they would accept.

My new monthly premium was a bit higher ($200) for that year but it afforded me the ability to go to PRC with 100% full coverage, except my out of pocket expense for air fare, meals and lodging (5K - ugh, I came from NY and lived in a hotel for 24 days). I also had been disabled for 3 years and became eligible for Medicare around the same time which allowed me to use Medicare and my new supplemental insurance. The year after I graduated Mayo PRC, I went back to a less expensive supplement insurance.

@rivermaya34 It's not always easy but do you see any strategic insurance planning that might work for you in getting to Mayo? If not, there are other rehabilitation centers and programs out there it's a matter of locating and researching to learn if they support a similar game plan like Mayo PRC and if they're a good fit for you.

@pollysparrow Hi Barb. Are you near any of the 3 Mayo Clinic campuses in Arizona, Minnesota or Florida? If not, have you researched pain management programs in your area and what insurances they might accept?

Jump to this post

Great suggestions @rwinney. May I add something for those of us that aren't good researchers (like me). I have an insurance professional with whom I meet every year. She looks at the previous year and we talk about what medical issues I continue to have and what new ones are likely to present themselves. Then, she suggests and explains the opportunities with their specific benefits. I love it....an expert that fills in my mental gaps. This year is working out well and I am behaving.
Chris

@artscaping

Great suggestions @rwinney. May I add something for those of us that aren't good researchers (like me). I have an insurance professional with whom I meet every year. She looks at the previous year and we talk about what medical issues I continue to have and what new ones are likely to present themselves. Then, she suggests and explains the opportunities with their specific benefits. I love it....an expert that fills in my mental gaps. This year is working out well and I am behaving.
Chris

Jump to this post

@artscaping I have an insurance professional/navigator too and completely forgot to mention. Thank you, for filling in my mental gap. I did a lot of my own navigating early on in my disability claim and loss of health insurance, and was quite overwhelmed. An insurance navigator takes off pressure. Great suggestion, Chris!

My name is Jo and I had back surgery with a fusion L4/L5 and have never been the same. It affected my life as I once knew it. I've always been very active physically working out for over 30 years. I also did a lot of volunteer work that I can't do and then we were hit with COVID. I'm bored at home and feel like I'm in jail. I have a husband but unfortunately does not have empathy and or sympathy especially when you still struggle. I do a lot more after 2 years but limited. I'm on medication which helps but would like to feel good enough that I just don't need anything. I am thankful for many things in my life and more fortunate than others but it still changed my life 90%..

@theai

i'm thea, a 67 year old woman who suffers from chronic pain. i have a lot of arthritis in my kness, my shoulders and my back. i have lumbar and cervical radiculopathy. thats besides the herniated discs, etc. i also recently had a brain stem stroke which has caused pain in walking.

Jump to this post

I'm sorry my heart goes out to you.

@artscaping

Chris

Jump to this post

May I ask what kind of insurance professional you are using? And what specifically are the opportunities with specific benefits.

I am Irr4et and have a ? Can anyone tell me how to manage the very difficult symptoms of titrating off of Lyrica after being on it 10 years for Fibromyalgia? TU

@irr4et

I am Irr4et and have a ? Can anyone tell me how to manage the very difficult symptoms of titrating off of Lyrica after being on it 10 years for Fibromyalgia? TU

Jump to this post

Perhaps consult w/ the prescribing doctor?

@faust73

May I ask what kind of insurance professional you are using? And what specifically are the opportunities with specific benefits.

Jump to this post

The business mission is to help folks find the best insurance for their age, medical conditions, address (I had to wait a year to get registered as an MN resident and it saved me lots of money. I was paying CA prices and they are higher.).

There is no charge for their services......they are paid by the companies. My life partner has been with them for years. Last year I needed benefits for surgeries and chronic pain. This year, I will be focusing on my hearing issues of tinnitus and limited functioning and my aging eyes with macular degeneration and glaucoma. I also added dental insurance because my osteoporosis meds have some risk in terms of allergic reactions that involve the jaw.

Does that help answer your questions? What are you looking for in an insurance program?

May you be content and have peace.
Chris

Hi! Thanks I’m Sally and I’ve been suffering from chronic migraine for over 30 years, headaches along with other symptoms, nearly every day. Also, IBS, so abdominal pain.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.