Chronic Pain members - Welcome, please introduce yourself

Posted by Kelsey Mohring @kelseydm, Apr 27, 2016

Welcome to the new Chronic Pain group.

I’m Kelsey and I’m the moderator of the group. I look forwarding to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.

Why not take a minute and introduce yourself.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Chronic Pain Support Group.

what is the Pain Rahab program and where is it offered. Thank you . Berge

Chronic pain for 5years after gallbladder surgrey anyone else

@rivermaya34

@rwinney This weekend was devastating for me, pain and sleep-wise. No sleep + worst pain ever = bad combination. Thankfully, tho, it was the first time in years I was able to just take a few minutes and cry. And, on top of that, I was able to reach out to a friend (my former figure skating coach, an Olympian at that) who really came alongside me to support, encourage and advocate for me. She even affirmed that it's ok "to slow down" and is probably necessary now. It's really humbling, but hard, to allow others who have always viewed you as "strong" to watch you hit rock bottom then come down and sit with you in the pit before offering a hand out. It's a deeper level of love than I'll ever be able to understand this side of Heaven! Yesterday was the first time I was able to voice to her and another friend that I just needed someone to sit with me while I cry...an enormous step for a hard-headed, independent, strong-willed girl like myself lol. But, your reminders above are absolutely golden and needed... that "it's not selfish" and to "extend grace" personally. As I've decreased my pace in life (with some things, not everything), it's blessed me by presenting opportunities to gaze at beautiful scenery more, increase my gratitude for life itself and basic functions, and ultimately encourage others in their hard times. Thank you for being such a bright spot among this community! 🙂

Jump to this post

@rwinney Hey, just a quick update - wanted to let you know that Mayo does not support my insurance, so my Dr said I would have to see a different neurologist at a different facility here locally in order to get a referral to that specific group's pain management program, if there is one. I'm really not thrilled...do you have any other suggestions besides? :/

@rivermaya34

@rwinney Hey, just a quick update - wanted to let you know that Mayo does not support my insurance, so my Dr said I would have to see a different neurologist at a different facility here locally in order to get a referral to that specific group's pain management program, if there is one. I'm really not thrilled...do you have any other suggestions besides? :/

Jump to this post

@rivermaya34 Do know if that is because you do not have out of network coverage through your insurance plan?

@rivermaya34

Jump to this post

need suggestions also for chronic pain management coverage Barb BAKER

@rwinney

@rivermaya34 Do know if that is because you do not have out of network coverage through your insurance plan?

Jump to this post

@rivermaya34, @pollysparrow
My experience in getting to the Mayo Clinic Pain Management Center was at first a denial of my insurance because I didn't have out of network coverage. I was determined to get there and knew it may take some strategic planning and time. I decided to wait until my insurance was up for renewal then chose a plan that allowed me out of network coverage, specifically Mayo, and one I knew they would accept.

My new monthly premium was a bit higher ($200) for that year but it afforded me the ability to go to PRC with 100% full coverage, except my out of pocket expense for air fare, meals and lodging (5K - ugh, I came from NY and lived in a hotel for 24 days). I also had been disabled for 3 years and became eligible for Medicare around the same time which allowed me to use Medicare and my new supplemental insurance. The year after I graduated Mayo PRC, I went back to a less expensive supplement insurance.

@rivermaya34 It's not always easy but do you see any strategic insurance planning that might work for you in getting to Mayo? If not, there are other rehabilitation centers and programs out there it's a matter of locating and researching to learn if they support a similar game plan like Mayo PRC and if they're a good fit for you.

@pollysparrow Hi Barb. Are you near any of the 3 Mayo Clinic campuses in Arizona, Minnesota or Florida? If not, have you researched pain management programs in your area and what insurances they might accept?

@rwinney

Jump to this post

@rwinney Yes, that's correct, unfortunately.

@rwinney

@rivermaya34, @pollysparrow
My experience in getting to the Mayo Clinic Pain Management Center was at first a denial of my insurance because I didn't have out of network coverage. I was determined to get there and knew it may take some strategic planning and time. I decided to wait until my insurance was up for renewal then chose a plan that allowed me out of network coverage, specifically Mayo, and one I knew they would accept.

My new monthly premium was a bit higher ($200) for that year but it afforded me the ability to go to PRC with 100% full coverage, except my out of pocket expense for air fare, meals and lodging (5K - ugh, I came from NY and lived in a hotel for 24 days). I also had been disabled for 3 years and became eligible for Medicare around the same time which allowed me to use Medicare and my new supplemental insurance. The year after I graduated Mayo PRC, I went back to a less expensive supplement insurance.

@rivermaya34 It's not always easy but do you see any strategic insurance planning that might work for you in getting to Mayo? If not, there are other rehabilitation centers and programs out there it's a matter of locating and researching to learn if they support a similar game plan like Mayo PRC and if they're a good fit for you.

@pollysparrow Hi Barb. Are you near any of the 3 Mayo Clinic campuses in Arizona, Minnesota or Florida? If not, have you researched pain management programs in your area and what insurances they might accept?

Jump to this post

@rwinney I'm currently looking into other options, waiting on my Dr to get back to me this week (hopefully) with some new recommendations etc. 🙁 I've actually been to Mayo in FL before for other reasons, and I'd love to go back there. But...time will tell, I guess. And, I just started this insurance plan at the beginning of the year, so I can't really change it anytime soon.

@rivermaya34

@rwinney I'm currently looking into other options, waiting on my Dr to get back to me this week (hopefully) with some new recommendations etc. 🙁 I've actually been to Mayo in FL before for other reasons, and I'd love to go back there. But...time will tell, I guess. And, I just started this insurance plan at the beginning of the year, so I can't really change it anytime soon.

Jump to this post

@rivermaya34 I'm no expert on insurances and know many have no wiggle room for switching after the window closes on renewal, but it never hurts to ask and make 100% sure that there are no exceptions to this rule due to health. A closed mouth doesn't get fed, I always say, and you've got nothing to lose by double checking. If you already have, bummer....on to the next plan.

I'm sure your doctor will come through with recommendations. Please let me know how you make out. Sending positive vibes your way.

How have you been doing otherwise? How have you been managing finding time for yourself and your studies without too much overdoing?

i'm thea, a 67 year old woman who suffers from chronic pain. i have a lot of arthritis in my kness, my shoulders and my back. i have lumbar and cervical radiculopathy. thats besides the herniated discs, etc. i also recently had a brain stem stroke which has caused pain in walking.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.