Uveitis in children
Ten year old daughter diagnosed with uveitis, and Methotrexate is not keeping the inflammation down. Her rheumatologist now wants to prescribe either Cyclosporine or Humira. I’m not on board with either of these and wondering if anyone else has a child with this condition and what treatment they are currently on and how they are responding to it? Thanks!
Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Eye Conditions Support Group.
I suggest consulting a ophthalmologist who specializes in treating uveitis.
I work with a very good ophthalmologist in the Phx area who treats pts with chronic uveitis. I can refer you to some good docs if you are in this area. Your daughter should really be seen by an ophthalmologist to access the inflammation and begin treatment. I am assume since she is on methotrexate, she is being treated by rheum for juvenile RA?
We live in the Kansas City area and she has seen 4 different ophthalmologists all specializing in children. Their main concern is getting her off the pred forte (steroid) drops. No she does not have RA, she is on that to get off the steroid drops. Thank you for your reply!
Thank you for your reply, but she has seen and is currently going biweekly to an opthalmologist.
Hello, I have a 16 year old son that has Uveitis. He had gotten three rounds of steroid injections in his eyes. In August he got a 1/2 injection in his left eye and now his pressure has been 40 +/- since then. He is on 4 different drops as well as the Methotrexate with no luck. He is now seeing a Glaucoma specialist who wants to to a tube shunt or Trabeculotomy in order to reduce the pressure. We are getting ready to meet with a Doctor to research some natural solutions. there is a product called Standard Process that has had success in other areas and we are hoping that it may help with his inflamation. It wont help the eye pressure so we are still deciding what to do about that.
Thank you for your reply, and I’m sad to hear that the steroids or the Methotrexate is not working. How long has your son had Uveitis? Did your rheumatologist not want to prescribe either Cyclosporine or Humira? Our ophthalmologist had mentioned the steroids in the eye but thank goodness my daughter’s pressure has never gone beyond the normal range. We were informed that it is possible that she may out grow this condition in a couple of years, and thank God she is responding well to 1 drop of the Pred forte, and 12 cc of Methotrexate each week. What was your son’s eye inflammation at the first diagnosis of his eyes? My daughter’s was 4+ in the left and 3 + in the right and the Opthalmologist was in shock that it was so high. I’m just curious as how your son’s eye pressure could have got so high and the steroid didn’t bring it down. I wish you the best of luck, and if I hear of any treatment that may help you out I will certainly let you know. God bless!!
hello, I posted earlier and wanted to update you on my sons condition. The glaucoma specialist decided that my son would need a Canaloplasty to reduce the pressure in his eye and that our next move would be to see a rheumatologist.
At the end of our rope we heard about a doctor nearby. She is a Chiropractor that also does a lot with natural supplements. After a long consultation she has put my son on a couple of natural supplements that deal specifically with eye health. His pressure was 47 when we began and in two weeks his pressure has come down to 39. We have postponed the surgery and will get the pressure checked again this week. I will let you know how that goes.
If you would like to know more about what we’ve learned i would be happy to share. All the doctors said we were wasting our time but I’m here to tell you that his floaters are pretty much gone and pressure is coming down at a pretty steady pace… I am encouraged…
Going Thursday afternoon for another check of his pressure. Also, his floaters in his eyes have virtually cleared all the way up. I will let you know about the pressure.
Thank you for the update. I’m glad your son is doing better!!! Have you seen a Rheumatologist yet?
My daughter is now having issues with the Methotrexate and I’m thinking that her Rheumatologist is going to want to put her on the Humara, so I too maybe looking into natural supplements.
Please keep me posted on your son’s progress.
Hello I read your post and interested in what type of natural supplement was being used, my daughter just recently got diagnosed with this and were new to this. I hoping in looking for something more natural than prescribed medication very afraid of long term effects. I see this post was in 2011 how is your child doing today?