Tips on minimizing withdrawal symptoms from Effexor (aka Venlafaxine)

Posted by richyrich @richyrich, Nov 2, 2016

I have been taking Effexor/Venlafaxine for years and tried to get off it a few times but each time I try to give up the chemical withdrawal symptoms are a horror story and I give up giving up. Anyone got any tips or tried and tested strategies? Thank you

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Depression & Anxiety Support Group.

@jrbourquin

Ask your doctor to put you on 10 mg of prozac. It has a much longer half-life than effexor. Take that with the effexor for about a week or two (however long it takes for the prozac to reach steady state - the pharmacist should be able to tell you), then quit the effexor. You should then be able to taper off the prozac by adding a day between doses (every other day, then every third day, etc.) until such time that you can quit taking that. It's the ONLY way I've ever been able to get off effexor or pristiq. I've tried slowly tapering off for months, and that was miserable. The prozac trick worked and was prescribed by my OB when I was pregnant. I've used it recently to get off pristiq, but I was surprised to learn that my PCP was unaware of it. No brain zaps with the prozac, and it took me about a month or so maybe two - to wean off both completely.

Jump to this post

Thanks for your input. I have been in touch with my psychiatrist, and since I've been detoxing for ten days now and feel past the worst of the Effexor withdrawal, we're going drug free for now. I felt that my personality had been medicated out of existence, and I'm not in hurry to try a different drug. I was on a low dosage of both drugs and coming off of them was not what a lot of others have endured. The brain zaps were the worst part, but those have mostly settled. I don't want to resume the Effexor now, even at a taper dosage, because it would prolong an unpleasant situation.

I want to stay off psych drugs altogether moving forward. I'm going to look into cognitive behavioral therapy. I'm just not seeing it available in my area.

@colleenyoung

Hi @kuma, You'll notice that I removed your email address. Connect is a public forum. We recommend sharing personal contact information using the secure private message function.

I might also add that by sharing here in the forum, you are connecting with several people where all can benefit from group support.

Jump to this post

@colleenyoung
I have been having trouble finding any helpful conversations regarding weaning off of Paroxetine (Paxil). Can you guide be? I am new to this forum. Deborah Youngblood

@frances007

Cold turkey? What strength was your Effexor and were you on the extended release. I started my taper from 150mg, now down to 37.5, and this is the XR version.
Thank you for your post

Jump to this post

I had been reduced to 37.5 a few months ago, with Abilify introduced. I stopped both because my depression continued as ever, but my sense of self was lost to the drugs. Coming off of 37.5 wasn't impossible, but the brain zaps were not fun. I'm 11 days out from stopping right now and feeling much better.

I want to get off Effexor but am afraid to try. I once forgot one pill(I take two at bedtime and 1 in the morning - one at bedtime was the one I tried not to take. Wow-I was really slammed with a reaction. Heart racing, shakes, and felt awful. I am scared to try again. What should I do?
didgi

@sixer

I want to get off Effexor but am afraid to try. I once forgot one pill(I take two at bedtime and 1 in the morning - one at bedtime was the one I tried not to take. Wow-I was really slammed with a reaction. Heart racing, shakes, and felt awful. I am scared to try again. What should I do?
didgi

Jump to this post

Almost everyone here is in the same boat. You will learn a lot by starting at page 1 of these posts and reading through at your own pace--a suggestion given to me. I am still reading; it is a wealth of information.

in reply to @coloradogirl, thank you for this great information. I am tapering off of Effexor XR, my current dose is now 37.5, and a few days ago I began emptying the small beads in the capsule into a measuring spoon in an effort to taper off of this dose. This is my second go at it, and already I noticed I am feeling more tearful than usual, which is exactly what happened last time I tried this method. While I do have some deep sorrow about many things this month, I am a bit surprised at just how tearful I really am. I suppose this too will pass, and like you, I am not making any plans to do myself in or harm myself.
My psychologist and I agreed that I no longer need to be on an antidepressant, thus my reason for tapering off of this particular drug. Coincidentally, she went AWOL just before the first of the year; this is the third time this has happened to me re Teletherapy. While I am working with a new one, who wants me to try EDMR therapy to deal with my many chronic issues, it is going to take a while for me to allow myself to be vulnerable again. Are you familiar with this type of treatment by any chance?

@debamato

@colleenyoung
I have been having trouble finding any helpful conversations regarding weaning off of Paroxetine (Paxil). Can you guide be? I am new to this forum. Deborah Youngblood

Jump to this post

@debamato, you did a good job of connecting with other members talking about paroxetine (Paxil) in the discussion you started here:
- Tips on how to wean off of Paxil (paroxetine): Bad withdrawal.
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/trying-to-wean-off-of-paxil-on-it-for-20-years-bad-withdrawal/

If you use the search, you will find additional related discussions. Click here: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/search/discussions/?search=paxil

Check out Inner Compass Initiative for information on various drugs and how to withdraw from them: https://www.theinnercompass.org

in reply to @depressedbutnotdead I have been following the Effexor comments for some time. I am currently tapering down from Effexor XL 37.5 mg, measuring out the tiny beads inside the capsule. Since doing so I have found that I have become an insomniac. Did you experience this type of reaction when you stopped taking this drug? I am not having "brain zaps" as described by others, but I am experiencing more tearfulness than "usual." While I do have a lot going on, I usually don't have this kind of ongoing and sorrowful reaction to whatever it is that is upsetting to me.
Thank you very much.

@frances007

in reply to @depressedbutnotdead I have been following the Effexor comments for some time. I am currently tapering down from Effexor XL 37.5 mg, measuring out the tiny beads inside the capsule. Since doing so I have found that I have become an insomniac. Did you experience this type of reaction when you stopped taking this drug? I am not having "brain zaps" as described by others, but I am experiencing more tearfulness than "usual." While I do have a lot going on, I usually don't have this kind of ongoing and sorrowful reaction to whatever it is that is upsetting to me.
Thank you very much.

Jump to this post

My reactions have not been like yours. Insomnia hasn't been an issue, and I only had a couple of moments of surging emotions, so I can't offer much insight into what you're experiencing. I am still having brain zaps sixteen days out, although not as severe or as frequent as the first week or so off the drug.

I feel doctors don't inform patients about how powerful this drug is. I also think it drove my depression, which stems from bipolar 2. The data on using venlafaxine for bipolar depression is weak, and the studies indicate it might flip people into their cycles. I can't prove that this happened to me, but I can say that it hadn't been working for a very long time. My decision to quit was abrupt and not thought through (I made the choice while cycling hard, so it was an emotional response, not an informed one), but I've felt like I've recovered myself. I would consider reintroducing the Abilify, but not the Effexor.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.