Tips on minimizing withdrawal symptoms from Effexor (aka Venlafaxine)

Posted by richyrich @richyrich, Nov 2, 2016

I have been taking Effexor/Venlafaxine for years and tried to get off it a few times but each time I try to give up the chemical withdrawal symptoms are a horror story and I give up giving up. Anyone got any tips or tried and tested strategies? Thank you

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Depression & Anxiety Support Group.

@bondon251

Thanks for the reply. One day at a time

Jump to this post

Thanks for getting back to me

Hi, I'm Eric and new to this forum. I worked with my doctor to end Effexor, but we did it a little too quickly. It was extremely rough but it is doable. Half way through the titration down, I was laying on the bathroom floor and extremely ill. However , it only lasted for two or three days. You can do this and I'm here if you have any questions comments. You CAN do this.

@gently

Bondon251, effexor is one of the most diffucult drugs to withdraw from. It is common to withdraw gradually. I can see how you are tempted, but you are past the three and close to the four week window of usual withdrawal. There are other medications that are used sometimes to lessen withdrawal symptoms. Duloxetine is one, but it seems like you are accomplishing this difficult endeavor successfully.
Like Leslie, I would wish or hope that you have medical resource for alternative prescribing. You don't seem to be in danger from depression, but it is one of the usual withdrawal effects of effexor.
Compliment you on your 3 week (so far) success. While I'm cheering for waiting another week, and think the worst is over, you may need that pill. If you are on EX don't break that pill in half. You can break the immediate release pills.
There is an otc serotonin uptake inhibitor SAM-e that would help your levels of serotonin and might alleviate some symptoms.
If you feel at risk, don't wait to call your physician.
wishing you success

Jump to this post

I am trying really hard. Found a good doctor to help

Thanks for the update. You've been a worry. We'll be curious about the doctor's direction, and confident in your success.

@gently

Bondon251, effexor is one of the most diffucult drugs to withdraw from. It is common to withdraw gradually. I can see how you are tempted, but you are past the three and close to the four week window of usual withdrawal. There are other medications that are used sometimes to lessen withdrawal symptoms. Duloxetine is one, but it seems like you are accomplishing this difficult endeavor successfully.
Like Leslie, I would wish or hope that you have medical resource for alternative prescribing. You don't seem to be in danger from depression, but it is one of the usual withdrawal effects of effexor.
Compliment you on your 3 week (so far) success. While I'm cheering for waiting another week, and think the worst is over, you may need that pill. If you are on EX don't break that pill in half. You can break the immediate release pills.
There is an otc serotonin uptake inhibitor SAM-e that would help your levels of serotonin and might alleviate some symptoms.
If you feel at risk, don't wait to call your physician.
wishing you success

Jump to this post

Thanks

@careth2

So glad my insight helped! I hope you are doing better! Depression can be hell - we didn't choose this, but are stuck with dealing with it! I wish you well! Let me know if you have any questions.

Jump to this post

Hello! I came across this today. Thanks for your advice. Have you listened to Dr Ilardi? 1+ hr talk in YouTube. Plus Andrew Huberman podcast regarding depression. I am not saying they have the solution, but some of their lifestyle and supplements (High doeses of Omega 3 EPA, mostly) recommendations may help if you have not tried them. I wish you luck in your journey. Big hug!

I have been on Venlax for close to 10 years. I have had so many issues with feeling like I'm a walking zombie and my head feels like it's full of fluff and trying to taper down makes me have diarrhea and nausea and feel like I have the flu. Does anyone else get the diarrhea part? I have gotten down to 75, but I want to get off. I am going to try getting down to 37.5, and I guess I'll have to take Diarrhea medicine. I take prescription nausea medicine when I get that. I started taking CBD recently and take the Montkush brand. It is actually advertised on tv because the man who started it purified it so that he could try it with his autistic daughter who didn't speak and he said it has worked wonders. I do find that it takes the edge off. It has .3 THC so it does show up in a drug test. They have some gummies that are .5 THC that help you chill. I am going to try to use these more to taper off. This is a horrible medicine. CBD has helped me with headaches and joint & muscle pain too. It's a blessing. Love & hugs to everyone.

@kippybee

I don’t have tips because I’m only 5 days into my weaning off process. I’ve tried numerous times in the past, but always gave up due to the withdrawal side effects. I’ve successfully gone from 225 to 150 mg without any effects at all. 5 days ago I went from 150 to 112.5mg and the unpleasant physical effects started appearing yesterday. My brain feels like it’s in a vice grip and no painkiller is alleviating the discomfort. The vertigo and nausea have also begun.

I’m really disappointed that here in Canada (I don’t know if this is the case in the US as well), immediate release Effexor tablets are no longer available; I was counting on using them for this process. How I’m going to wean with capsules is beyond me.

Right now I want to die and it’s only the beginning. Ugh.

Jump to this post

@kippybee, can you get CBD oil or gummies in Canada? They really do help you chill out some and they help with headaches. I learned from a nurse that hiding an alcohol swab to your nose sometimes helps with nausea, but you can get some prescription nausea meds. I also make up a cream for headaches using a few drops rosemary, basil and lavender essential oils mixed into coconut oil as a carrier and put it in a bottle or jar and rub it on your head and message. It always relieves my headaches. Blessings, dear

@hopeforpeace
I wonder if you could be tapering to quickly?
What has your tapering schedule been?
Jake

Please sign in or register to post a reply.