Tips on minimizing withdrawal symptoms from Effexor (aka Venlafaxine)

Posted by richyrich @richyrich, Nov 2, 2016

I have been taking Effexor/Venlafaxine for years and tried to get off it a few times but each time I try to give up the chemical withdrawal symptoms are a horror story and I give up giving up. Anyone got any tips or tried and tested strategies? Thank you

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Depression & Anxiety Support Group.

@depressedbutnotdead

I'm not going to offer medical advice, that's not wise. I didn't consult my doctor when I made the initial decision to quit venlafaxine, and toughing it out until the symptoms subsided wasn't fun. I'm pretty bull-headed, and also stepped off of an already lowered dose, so my experience is unique to my situation. How I could have eased the symptoms I do not know.

Jump to this post

Here is a recent article with promising information about tapering strips. I would love to know if anyone in the US has tried tapering strips to lessen withdrawal from venlafaxine--and if so, how to get them.
https://www.madinamerica.com/2024/04/tapering-strips-a-practical-tool-for-personalised-and-safe-tapering-of-withdrawal-causing-prescription-drugs/?mc_cid=ca180cc9e8&mc_eid=471abdc030

@frances007

in reply to @depressedbutnotdead I think I am nearing the end of my tapering, although my PCP did prescribe the Prozac so I could taper off more easily. I may try it because now the nightmares are starting again. I thought I was doing really well measuring out the bead in the capsules, as I was not having the brain zaps, just total insomnia. It's not so bad, as I can stay up and work on my art for hours on end. Hmm. You think I should try the Prozac and taper off that?

Jump to this post

Francis007, Hi,
Ref your comment on the return of *Nightmares. I still get them over a year after stopping completely , after a 4 year titration down from 75mg VEN / EFFEXOR . *They run in day after day phases . Then stop & restart after about a week.
Not taken anything for it. Definitely the Effexor / Venlafaxine doing this. Plus some legacy short term memory / fog issues. It would be useful for someone who has such specific legacy experiences to offer feedback as to how long lasting / when do these effects, fade away.

This is just too much. Though I could get off effexor but finding this is too much. Can't sleep, eck pain, anxiety

I hate effexor. Worst thing I have e er taken. Can't seem to get off it. I don't sleep, have neck pain, anxiety. Please help me. I look at the effexor pills and I think maybe I will just go take one a d see if it helps. Been off about 3 weeks

@bondon251

I hate effexor. Worst thing I have e er taken. Can't seem to get off it. I don't sleep, have neck pain, anxiety. Please help me. I look at the effexor pills and I think maybe I will just go take one a d see if it helps. Been off about 3 weeks

Jump to this post

Why did you decide to stop taking it? Was it helping you and then wasn’t effective?
I think you need to discuss with your doctor so they can advise you in that.
There are other drugs you could try if you still have symptoms. I’m sorry.

@bondon251

Jump to this post

Bondon251, effexor is one of the most diffucult drugs to withdraw from. It is common to withdraw gradually. I can see how you are tempted, but you are past the three and close to the four week window of usual withdrawal. There are other medications that are used sometimes to lessen withdrawal symptoms. Duloxetine is one, but it seems like you are accomplishing this difficult endeavor successfully.
Like Leslie, I would wish or hope that you have medical resource for alternative prescribing. You don't seem to be in danger from depression, but it is one of the usual withdrawal effects of effexor.
Compliment you on your 3 week (so far) success. While I'm cheering for waiting another week, and think the worst is over, you may need that pill. If you are on EX don't break that pill in half. You can break the immediate release pills.
There is an otc serotonin uptake inhibitor SAM-e that would help your levels of serotonin and might alleviate some symptoms.
If you feel at risk, don't wait to call your physician.
wishing you success

@bondon251

This is just too much. Though I could get off effexor but finding this is too much. Can't sleep, eck pain, anxiety

Jump to this post

bondon251, are you trying this without medical support? Are you on EX? Even if you take one of those tempting pills, you can still continue withdrawing. Almost no one attempts this cold turkey. It is usually a step down process and sometimes involves the temporary use of other medications. Pretty impressive that you've managed three weeks.

I was on 37.5 + 75 for way over 10 years. I found a post online about removing the little beads. I’m now removing on the 75mg I take 35 out a day which according to post is around 53mg. I’ve been doing this dose now for weeks because of some side effects like insomnia. When I feel I’m able I’ll take out a few more beads. This seems to be working as this is lowest dose I e been on. Def a pain removing beads but I really want off of this. I feel for everyone on here because I know how bad this is.

My doctor referred me to a consulting pharmacist. We have a telehealth appointment once a month to discuss my withdrawal. I started at 225 mg. For the first month, she had me take that dose 4 days a week (T, Th, Sa, Su) and 187.5 mg for the other three days. Then I took 187.5 every day for a month. Now in my third month, I am alternating between 150 mg and 187.5 mg.

Honestly, it hasn't been bad. A few headaches and some vivid dreams, but that is about it. My goal is not to eliminate the drug entirely, but to cut down my dosage, probably to 75 mg.
I strongly suggest checking to see if there is a consulting pharmacist your doctor can refer you to. If not, ask to consult with the pharmacist who fills your medications.

@gently

bondon251, are you trying this without medical support? Are you on EX? Even if you take one of those tempting pills, you can still continue withdrawing. Almost no one attempts this cold turkey. It is usually a step down process and sometimes involves the temporary use of other medications. Pretty impressive that you've managed three weeks.

Jump to this post

Thanks for the reply. One day at a time

Please sign in or register to post a reply.