Tips on minimizing withdrawal symptoms from Effexor (aka Venlafaxine)

Posted by richyrich @richyrich, Nov 2, 2016

I have been taking Effexor/Venlafaxine for years and tried to get off it a few times but each time I try to give up the chemical withdrawal symptoms are a horror story and I give up giving up. Anyone got any tips or tried and tested strategies? Thank you

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Depression & Anxiety Support Group.

@lovelyautumn

Venlafaxine Detox Success story!

I've been on a high dose of Venlfaxine for years, and I've successfully tapered off slowly over the coarse of 6months. My Dr thought I could taper off in about 2 months. But I listened to my body and gave myself 3+ weeks between each dose drop. Sort of as a reward to myself, I let myself feel leveled out again before dropping right away. This made a HUGE difference in moral.
One of my dose drops actually took me about 5 weeks to level out fully. So it definitely depends on how your body reacts.
Each time I lowered my dose I had horrible migraines and diarrhea. No pain medication helped the migraines because it was chemical instead of physical.
The only thing that helped was sleep for 2-3days after each drop.
Once a month I planned time to detox and set 3days aside to let my body run its coarse.

However once I finished my final dose I experienced flu like symptoms for about 2 weeks!
Full body shakes, fully body sweating, constant diarrhea(8+ times per day), migraines, and severe nausea. I could barely keep anything down, so I highly recommend eating foods gentle on your system for this part. Low fiber, light seasonings, and stay hydrated!!
Those first two weeks officially off Venlafaxine, were horrible for me physically. But by week three I started to feel the emotional symptoms.
There was some anxiety, but nothing close to what I was experiencing before I needed to start Venlafaxine years ago.
I've gone through a couple years of therapy that have helped immensely getting to this point.
BUT I want people to know, it IS possible!
I'm a success story!

It was ridiculously hard to come off of this medication.
I was not told of the withdrawal symptoms prior to starting this medication.
But when I started this medication I needed it. I would not be here today with out being on Venlafaxine for all these years. I am so thankful I had it while I needed it!

My biggest advice? Stay home if you can. Don't fight your anxiety While detoxing. Let it run its coarse. Then try going into the world again. And LEAN on your people!
Your going to need them.
Their positivity and reassurance, while transitioning back into the lucid world, will make it all so much more bearable!
This detox is brutal and it messes with your head. Your going to need help from people you love.
Have hope, and you can come fully off this medication!
Remind yourself that all the symptoms are temporary and it WILL get better!
I truly wish you all the best!!!

Jump to this post

Oh! I also forgot to mention. I struggled really bad with skin crawlies/ itches while detoxing. It felt like my skin was the fuzzy black and white tv screen.
It drove me nuts! My Dr prescribed me Hydroxyzine to help with this and it worked amazing!
Hydroxyzine is basically stronger Benadryl.
It makes you sleepy but it's non addictive. There are no crazy side effects but it helped a lot. You take it as needed like Benadryl for itchy skin from a mild allergy.

@frances007

Hello @rmce72a . I am currently tapering off the Effexor and understanding what you are going through. A friend gave me some CBD gummies this past Friday, and that really helped me settle down. I also use clonazepam for anxiety and that is also helpful. I thought it was all my imagination, the "brain zaps" until I looked it up and discovered that it is actually a medical term. This drug has to be the most horrible medication I have ever taken or tapered off of. And while I am going through this, I am dealing with an undiagnosed liver disease, and found a lump on my breast a few days ago. One more thing. Oy vey. Here are some colorful birds for you.

Jump to this post

Thank you, Frances. How are you progressing with your taper? This is the most miserable physical experience I have ever gone through. I am down on 3 mg in a year, and I'm still ill nearly all the time. Thank you for your response, and the birdies! 🙂 Rebecca

@rmce72a

Thank you, Frances. How are you progressing with your taper? This is the most miserable physical experience I have ever gone through. I am down on 3 mg in a year, and I'm still ill nearly all the time. Thank you for your response, and the birdies! 🙂 Rebecca

Jump to this post

In reply to @rmce72a Thanks for the note. I am doing much better, and think the worst of the withdrawal is over. Having said this, I still feel a bit discombobulated, a word I rarely use, but is fitting presently. If not for the other medication I have to ease the "suffering" I think I would have gone crazy. What has been working for me is the same thing I used when I quit smoking, and that is cleaning my apartment. LOL. Luckily, it is time for spring cleaning, and my apartment is looking like Martha Stewart dropped by with her cleaning tips.
Thank you for your support.

@kbmayo

I haven't taken Cymbalta, but I am taking generic Celexa (citalopram) 20 mg/day with very good results, and I'm taking it for anxiety. I tapered off Effexor with no bridge and things were fine for several months, but then anxiety returned and kept getting stronger. My doctor tried me on Wellbutrin, which made things worse because one possible side effect is increased anxiety, so he took me off that and started me on citalopram. (I have a couple of friends who take it and it works for them, too -- they're both on a stronger dose, 40mg daily -- which I haven't needed.) I also take a generic beta blocker -- metaprolol, 25mg -- so that I don't get the big rush of adrenaline that can increase anxiety and trigger panic attacks. You might want to ask your doctor about trying you on a different medication. Good luck!!

Jump to this post

How did u taper Effexor as I am trying and I am in daily interdose withdrawals no matter what on this med from start
Thanks

@brightwings

Checking in...
I was just reflecting on what I am doing and how different it is from just one month ago.
Today I am feeling good, filled with the zest for living, baking 5 loves of bread and preparing to go camping...and kayaking.
One month ago I was preparing to go to my Tribal gathering, (I am 10% Indian) to say good bye to the Many sons and daughters of my heart.
I knew I was dying......
Yet God in his mercy, spared my life again. I am so humbly grateful.
I know I have both feet firmly rooted in life now. I have the skills, determination, drive and the DNA to live to be 105.
What a difference a month makes...
Bright Wings, who is so grateful
It was pain in my body from a misaligned spine that almost took me out. I am seeing a chiropractor and well, I am Definately feeling good and happy. Moving to a healthier house this week. Life feels sweet.
See, there is life after withdrawing from Venlafaxine.

Jump to this post

How did u taper? I feel like giving up as in daily Interdose wd from this med I should never have been given sadly

@lovelyautumn

Oh! I also forgot to mention. I struggled really bad with skin crawlies/ itches while detoxing. It felt like my skin was the fuzzy black and white tv screen.
It drove me nuts! My Dr prescribed me Hydroxyzine to help with this and it worked amazing!
Hydroxyzine is basically stronger Benadryl.
It makes you sleepy but it's non addictive. There are no crazy side effects but it helped a lot. You take it as needed like Benadryl for itchy skin from a mild allergy.

Jump to this post

@ lovelyautumn
OMG I broke out in a rash and itches like u explained.
But I thought it was allergic reaction to something. I went to see my dermatologist and she gave me topical ointments and hydroxine! Which doesn’t help at all. I scratched it so much I have open soars all over my arms. It still itches. But I only went from 150 mg to 112 mg Effexor to begin the taper. It’s been 2 months. You think that’s why I have this rash? It’s small bumps on my arm that show up in the morning under my skin on my arms. I’ve been spraying it with calamine and cortisone. That helps. This would be a new symptom of withdrawing I’ve never had. I’ve tapered unsuccessfully 5 times before never had this reaction. I’m severely allergic to grass (which is a predominant pollen here) during spring it’s vet high. and this sometimes happens in spring to me. My doctor just has me taking Zyrtec 4 times a day and hydroxine at night. None of which are helping. FYI. Thanks!

@frances007

hello @kimbersue . For what it is worth, my doctor sent me a note late yesterday to go back to the 150 mg dose I was previously taking. I sent him a response " If I understand you correctly, you want me to go back to the original dose, knowing that it has caused me severe eye pain, a side effect that my pharmacist told me was not a good sign." Also, the Effexor was not doing a whole lot for my anxiety, thus the clonazepam, which he wants me to taper off of at some point. However, with everything else on my plate, I do not see this happening anytime soon.

Thank you for your support

Jump to this post

@ frances007 @lovelyautumn
Sorry if I am getting in on this convo late. Im planning on taking 9 months to taper this time. 3 months for every dosage drop. I’ve never experienced all those symptoms. That is your “anxiety” which comes if u taper to fast. Nausea shaking diarrhea. Ur off so that’s good. But those that are still trying to get off. And I’ve done this several times u successfully cuz of the anxiety couldn’t stand it. Im on 2 months now of 112 mg from 150. Im taking this time very very slow. If it’s hard just stay on that dosage for awhile. You’ll definitely need something for anxiety cuz that’s gonna hit you. (Anxiety) Especially since I started this 20 years ago for anxiety. But I’m healthy now and working out which helps a lot! You should try just for ur mental health. And go very slow tapering. Everyone is different. Last time I tried tapering after 6 months I gave up. Went back on it. But I’m working out and i quit smoking my anxiety is good. So I decided it’s a good time and I’m planning 9 months at least to get off of the Effexor. I also have Xanax tho which certainly helps a lot!!! But it’s not recommended due to people can become addicted. I added Wellbutrin for my depresssion. But doctors usually like prescribing Prozac because it’s another SNRI and it’s prescribed for depression and anxiety. Wellbutrin is not an SNRI and not for anxiety. Just fyi. A lot of regular doctors will not want to taper you off of Effexor because of all the bad psychological symptoms. And will ask you to see psych doctor to taper off Effexor. If your doctor won’t taper you off see a psychiatrist who will help you do this and give you all the correct medications to successfully get off of it. These doctors can help with the anxiety symptoms and prescribe the best meds to help you. FYI.

Hi Barry: I took 300mg venlafaxine for over 23 years.
I am in process of tapering
8 ⁸under care of a menkhealth nurse practioner.
She is using a " Prozac bridge." This has proved extremely helpful. Does your MD know about this.? I know you want to get off it as oon as possible AND the Prozac helps a lot to reduce all the discontinuation systems.

How long do the effexor withdrawal symptoms last? I have read that they may last up to a year, is that correct? I had been on Effexor XR, 150 mg., for 18 years. Under a doctors supervision, I weaned off of it after 5 months. It's been a month completely off and I suffer different problems, like headaches, gut pain, dizziness, nausea on a daily basis. So, how long will I have to experience this?

@llk

How long do the effexor withdrawal symptoms last? I have read that they may last up to a year, is that correct? I had been on Effexor XR, 150 mg., for 18 years. Under a doctors supervision, I weaned off of it after 5 months. It's been a month completely off and I suffer different problems, like headaches, gut pain, dizziness, nausea on a daily basis. So, how long will I have to experience this?

Jump to this post

I have been on 450 mgs for almost thirty years( I know that’s crazy), after 20 years I wanted off. No doctor would even try. So I did it myself. I instantly developed psychosis. Ultimately I lost all concept of reality and ended up breaking the law for the first time in my life. I ended up in prison where they put me right back on it.

I did a short sentence but my life was destroyed. I lost my family, my business, the respect of the community and any resources I had.

I am still at 450 mgs and still no doctor will touch it. If I miss one day the next day I start to withdraw. 7 plus doctors have continued to fill this prescription.

I will likely be on it until I die, which at times seems like it is taking forever to happen.

If you can get off it my recommendation is to do so. If you are considering it let my story inform you. I had the American Dream Venlafaxine contributed to me losing everything. I now live with consequences

I’ve been told Prozac can help with the withdrawal. I just need to find a doctor willing to take it on.

Good luck to everyone and do your own research. The medical profession doesn’t even no what causes depression but they have hundreds of drugs to treat it.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.