Tips on minimizing withdrawal symptoms from Effexor (aka Venlafaxine)

Posted by richyrich @richyrich, Nov 2, 2016

I have been taking Effexor/Venlafaxine for years and tried to get off it a few times but each time I try to give up the chemical withdrawal symptoms are a horror story and I give up giving up. Anyone got any tips or tried and tested strategies? Thank you

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Depression & Anxiety Support Group.

@catamite

I am three days off effexor. Feel horrid. Started decreasing dosage four months ago. Got to 35.5 and just decided to chuck it once and for all. I have upset stomach, squirts, nightmares, lethargy. I have some edibles to help me sleep but my stomach doesn't much like them. I am so miserable.

Jump to this post

I am tapering off of Effexor, down to 75 mg from 150 mg because the medication was causing eye pain. I found Effexor to be very helpful to me, and I have been on this drug for many years. Having said this, since dropping the dose I am no longer having eye pain.
My 84 year old friend/neighbor who I take care of suddenly stopped her Zoloft, but started taking it again when I explained what happens if one stops taking any kind of neurological drug. Now I watch her take it and have asked that her other friend call her doctor to get the dose increased, as the 25 mg tablets have not helped. The pharmacist told me when I picked it up for her that at such a low dose, he doubted it would work. Granted, she weighs 85 pounds, but it is obvious to me that her depression has increased, especially since she has realized that very soon she will not be able to drive.

@cherylannm

I would just say “ am stronger then a horrific pill” . And fast and furious was my approach... if I can do it everyone can ... good luck guys . Keep me posted .

Jump to this post

I found out effexor caused my high blood pressure recently
Yeah my prescriber knew about it didn’t mention the correlation between Effexor and HBP.
I need to wean off but am
scared to and Dr not very supportive … I take 150 mg effexor and
300 Wellbutrin for major depressive disorder
Any ideas on how to wean using the bead method ? I have a whole bottle of 150 mg pills thanks

@tobryan

Yeah my prescriber knew about it didn’t mention the correlation between Effexor and HBP.
Any ideas on how to wean using the bead method ? I have a whole bottle of 150 mg pills thanks

Jump to this post

@tobryan
I’d have a heart to heart talk with your doctor. Your doctor needs to support your decision to quit Effexor in a safe way.
I’d ask the doc for a prescription to a compounding pharmacy reducing your dose by 5-10% every 3-4 weeks.
Some insurance companies cover compounded medications and some don’t but it’s the safest way.
It’s important to go slowly. If you’re reducing to quickly you’ll know it!
Best of luck to you,
Jake

@jakedduck1

@tobryan
I’d have a heart to heart talk with your doctor. Your doctor needs to support your decision to quit Effexor in a safe way.
I’d ask the doc for a prescription to a compounding pharmacy reducing your dose by 5-10% every 3-4 weeks.
Some insurance companies cover compounded medications and some don’t but it’s the safest way.
It’s important to go slowly. If you’re reducing to quickly you’ll know it!
Best of luck to you,
Jake

Jump to this post

Thank you for the info. So a month ago my Dr switched me from Effexor 250 mg to Prozac 40mg. What a nightmare. I couldn't cope, went back on Effexor. I contacted her and she increased the prozac to 80! I sought advice from the pharmacist who recommended tapering off. So I did and started with the 40mg and still feel the brain zaps and other awful effects. She knows it increased BP but she never told me. I found out here! I already have hbp yes I know time for a new dr. My question is do these remedies really work? I'm desperate to get off Effexor,prozac has always worked and because of an episode of severe depression she switched me. So during this withdrawal period I just wandered what works the best and quickest? Thank you for any advice

@celiamimipalmer

Thank you for the info. So a month ago my Dr switched me from Effexor 250 mg to Prozac 40mg. What a nightmare. I couldn't cope, went back on Effexor. I contacted her and she increased the prozac to 80! I sought advice from the pharmacist who recommended tapering off. So I did and started with the 40mg and still feel the brain zaps and other awful effects. She knows it increased BP but she never told me. I found out here! I already have hbp yes I know time for a new dr. My question is do these remedies really work? I'm desperate to get off Effexor,prozac has always worked and because of an episode of severe depression she switched me. So during this withdrawal period I just wandered what works the best and quickest? Thank you for any advice

Jump to this post

I am in the process of trying to get off Effexor 75 XR. I suggest you go to a Website called Surviving Antidepressants. I joined last year, and they have provided a wealth of info and support. Just follow all their directions about posting, etc. Once you join, you can ask questions and get instructions, answers to questions, guidance, and support.

Have your Doctor decrease your dose slowly. Sleeping also worked for me while I was coming off of Effexor.

@tobryan

Jump to this post

in reply to @tobryan . I agree that talking to your doctor would be a good start. For what it is worth, tapering off the Effexor makes my tapering off of the fentanyl patch a long time ago feel like a walk in the park. Tapering slowly is best. I have been tapering for just over a week now, and still having some withdrawal symptoms. Hang in there.

@kimbersue

Have your Doctor decrease your dose slowly. Sleeping also worked for me while I was coming off of Effexor.

Jump to this post

hello @kimbersue . For what it is worth, my doctor sent me a note late yesterday to go back to the 150 mg dose I was previously taking. I sent him a response " If I understand you correctly, you want me to go back to the original dose, knowing that it has caused me severe eye pain, a side effect that my pharmacist told me was not a good sign." Also, the Effexor was not doing a whole lot for my anxiety, thus the clonazepam, which he wants me to taper off of at some point. However, with everything else on my plate, I do not see this happening anytime soon.

Thank you for your support

Venlafaxine Detox Success story!

I've been on a high dose of Venlfaxine for years, and I've successfully tapered off slowly over the coarse of 6months. My Dr thought I could taper off in about 2 months. But I listened to my body and gave myself 3+ weeks between each dose drop. Sort of as a reward to myself, I let myself feel leveled out again before dropping right away. This made a HUGE difference in moral.
One of my dose drops actually took me about 5 weeks to level out fully. So it definitely depends on how your body reacts.
Each time I lowered my dose I had horrible migraines and diarrhea. No pain medication helped the migraines because it was chemical instead of physical.
The only thing that helped was sleep for 2-3days after each drop.
Once a month I planned time to detox and set 3days aside to let my body run its coarse.

However once I finished my final dose I experienced flu like symptoms for about 2 weeks!
Full body shakes, fully body sweating, constant diarrhea(8+ times per day), migraines, and severe nausea. I could barely keep anything down, so I highly recommend eating foods gentle on your system for this part. Low fiber, light seasonings, and stay hydrated!!
Those first two weeks officially off Venlafaxine, were horrible for me physically. But by week three I started to feel the emotional symptoms.
There was some anxiety, but nothing close to what I was experiencing before I needed to start Venlafaxine years ago.
I've gone through a couple years of therapy that have helped immensely getting to this point.
BUT I want people to know, it IS possible!
I'm a success story!

It was ridiculously hard to come off of this medication.
I was not told of the withdrawal symptoms prior to starting this medication.
But when I started this medication I needed it. I would not be here today with out being on Venlafaxine for all these years. I am so thankful I had it while I needed it!

My biggest advice? Stay home if you can. Don't fight your anxiety While detoxing. Let it run its coarse. Then try going into the world again. And LEAN on your people!
Your going to need them.
Their positivity and reassurance, while transitioning back into the lucid world, will make it all so much more bearable!
This detox is brutal and it messes with your head. Your going to need help from people you love.
Have hope, and you can come fully off this medication!
Remind yourself that all the symptoms are temporary and it WILL get better!
I truly wish you all the best!!!

@rmce72a

I am in the process of trying to get off Effexor 75 XR. I suggest you go to a Website called Surviving Antidepressants. I joined last year, and they have provided a wealth of info and support. Just follow all their directions about posting, etc. Once you join, you can ask questions and get instructions, answers to questions, guidance, and support.

Jump to this post

Hello @rmce72a . I am currently tapering off the Effexor and understanding what you are going through. A friend gave me some CBD gummies this past Friday, and that really helped me settle down. I also use clonazepam for anxiety and that is also helpful. I thought it was all my imagination, the "brain zaps" until I looked it up and discovered that it is actually a medical term. This drug has to be the most horrible medication I have ever taken or tapered off of. And while I am going through this, I am dealing with an undiagnosed liver disease, and found a lump on my breast a few days ago. One more thing. Oy vey. Here are some colorful birds for you.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.