Sleep Apnea and adjusting to a CPAP machine: Tips?

Posted by vickiw @vickiw, Sep 24, 2016

I'm confused on what to do on CPAP. I hate it and am trying to find a dentist that will take my insurance for a dental device. What would happen if I stop using my CPAP while I'm waiting for one?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Sleep Health Support Group.

@moesilverio

I have used a cpap machine 10years. I have had mask problems like everyone. My main problem was that I am allergic to silicone mask. I discovered the Resmed Airtouch F20 full mask a few years ago. The F20 has foam seal, therefore the silicone doesn't touch my skin. However, during the last 3 months, the bridge of my nose is highly sensitive due to the use of the mask. Apparently, I have moved during sleep and the silicone area of the mask touched my nose. Another thing that happened last month, I received a mask that leaked excessively. I adjusted the strap and the mask made an indentation on the bridge of my nose. I visited a Technitian at my pulmonary doctor and she tested the mask and decided that the mask was defective. Today, I am going back to my pulmonary doctor's office to try to obtain a different mask that don't cover my face because my nose has not heal. But, as I mentioned I am allergic to silicone. Does any one is allergic to silicone and use silicone mask? I remember reading a post of someone that has similar problems with silicone. That person used some type of cream to help with silicone touching the skin. I'll appreciate any information about this issue.

Jump to this post

The F20 has a foam seal so the silicone shouldn’t touch your skin but during sleep you move and the silicone area of the mask touches your nose. This results in a sore spot on the bridge of your nose.

@moesilverio, questions about the seal of the CPAP mask, irritation or sore spots on the nose from the mask and silicone allergies are common issues that CPAP wearers ask at the Mayo Clinic Store - Sleep Apnea, where they fit people with masks. Here's information they provided to your concerns:

"A tender spot on the bridge of the nose is usually exacerbated by loosening the mask because it allows for more movement in the mask. If the mask is loose it will cause excessive vibration/rubbing. When this happens your device then sends a signal from the machine 3 times a second to determine what you are doing.

Silicone allergy is not an unheard of issue. Different manufacturers use different chemical makeup for their masks. You may wish to start with a different manufacturer. There are even cloth masks available. At the Flower of Hope, we commonly suggest a different mask with a more supportive cushion and a cloth barrier.

Regarding creams, it’s advised not to use a cream unless prescribed by a dermatologist. Most creams under the pressure of the mask can actually embed under the skin in the vascular bed and cause a bacterial infection making the situation much worse.

Moe, have you looked into a cloth mask? What did you learn from your pulmonary doctor?

@erikas

The F20 has a foam seal so the silicone shouldn’t touch your skin but during sleep you move and the silicone area of the mask touches your nose. This results in a sore spot on the bridge of your nose.

@moesilverio, questions about the seal of the CPAP mask, irritation or sore spots on the nose from the mask and silicone allergies are common issues that CPAP wearers ask at the Mayo Clinic Store - Sleep Apnea, where they fit people with masks. Here's information they provided to your concerns:

"A tender spot on the bridge of the nose is usually exacerbated by loosening the mask because it allows for more movement in the mask. If the mask is loose it will cause excessive vibration/rubbing. When this happens your device then sends a signal from the machine 3 times a second to determine what you are doing.

Silicone allergy is not an unheard of issue. Different manufacturers use different chemical makeup for their masks. You may wish to start with a different manufacturer. There are even cloth masks available. At the Flower of Hope, we commonly suggest a different mask with a more supportive cushion and a cloth barrier.

Regarding creams, it’s advised not to use a cream unless prescribed by a dermatologist. Most creams under the pressure of the mask can actually embed under the skin in the vascular bed and cause a bacterial infection making the situation much worse.

Moe, have you looked into a cloth mask? What did you learn from your pulmonary doctor?

Jump to this post

@erikas, Thank you for the information. I appreciate your concern. I am thinking about changing manufactures to obtain different masks. My doctor's therapist recommended to use cloth barriers. I am trying cloth liners now.

@moesilverio

@erikas, Thank you for the information. I appreciate your concern. I am thinking about changing manufactures to obtain different masks. My doctor's therapist recommended to use cloth barriers. I am trying cloth liners now.

Jump to this post

@moesilverio, If the cloth liners don't work for you, there is a mask that I was looking at but haven't tried it that is made by Circadiance called Sleepweaver - https://circadiance.com/sleepweaver/.

Can you let us know how the cloth liners work for you?

@johnbishop

@moesilverio, If the cloth liners don't work for you, there is a mask that I was looking at but haven't tried it that is made by Circadiance called Sleepweaver - https://circadiance.com/sleepweaver/.

Can you let us know how the cloth liners work for you?

Jump to this post

@johnbishop, I ordered the cloth liners from the website that you sent me. In the mean time, I cut a couple of T-shirt liners and I did sleep better, without leaks and did not aggravated injured nose bridge. So, I am on the right track to correct my nose issue. I do appreciate you very important information. I'll be in touch to inform of my progress.

@moesilverio

@johnbishop, I ordered the cloth liners from the website that you sent me. In the mean time, I cut a couple of T-shirt liners and I did sleep better, without leaks and did not aggravated injured nose bridge. So, I am on the right track to correct my nose issue. I do appreciate you very important information. I'll be in touch to inform of my progress.

Jump to this post

@moesilverio - That's great! Actually I tried making my own out of an old t-shirt also. My local medical equipment store sleep therapist showed me how but they were a little hard for me to manage when putting on the mask. It is a great tip though and cheap if a person can make it work. As my CPAP friend @thankful says Happy ZZZZZ's!

@dawn_giacabazi

So hard to find the right mask. Took me 11 years. I sure pray you find your perfect fit soon!!!

Thanks
Dawn

Jump to this post

Dawn, oh my goodness how frustrating. I'm replying to your old post dated 5/8/17. I'm going on five months, two different masks and STILL cannot get to sleep with my CPAP. I meet with my sleep doc in a few weeks.

give it lots of time. I hated CPAP for a year or more, but I didnt give up. Finally I realized it was helping me sleep better and controlling my sleep apnea. Now I wouldnt give up my CPAP machine.

@gamesjr

give it lots of time. I hated CPAP for a year or more, but I didnt give up. Finally I realized it was helping me sleep better and controlling my sleep apnea. Now I wouldnt give up my CPAP machine.

Jump to this post

It took me nine long months. I sleep great after finding the right mask. Patience and determination!

What has worked well for me was switchingto a nasal only cushion and light weight harness. Combined with an inexpensive chin strap to encourage nasal breathing only, I have enjoyed the most comfortable and longest sleep periods in25 years

@miker8888

What has worked well for me was switchingto a nasal only cushion and light weight harness. Combined with an inexpensive chin strap to encourage nasal breathing only, I have enjoyed the most comfortable and longest sleep periods in25 years

Jump to this post

@miker8888 and all, I've used the Resmed Bi-pap now for a couple of years. I'm so in love with this thing for saving my life, I have very severe apnea with many events holding my breath for over 60 sec and such. I was having trouble breathing during the day while awake, realizing I wasn't breathing and had to take deep, full breath. sometimes it was tough to even breathe; Now, I breathe well all day. The bi-pap pushes air into my nose and helps me breathe out as well. So, I am reminded tp breathe in and out; My autonomic systems aren't working well in some ways. So, I suppose this little quiet machine is saving my life.

My secret find was the nasal cushion, like @miker8888, mentioned.I have a heated hose that warms the water making it much more comfortable for me since I sleep only with cool air and an overhead fan. Helps me with breathing. I'm claustrophobic so any other mask is total NO. Thank God this one was available last year. I don't need the chin strap as with the machine I usually close my mouth.

One problem I can't solve: my kitty sleeeps with me and is afraid of the hose, guess it looks like a snake??? and she can't stand the air that comes out near my nose. So, we have a different sleeping position now. Works. No husband so no issue there. This new machine is much smaller and very qyuet.

Oh, I made an investment in the SoClean machine for daily automatic cleaning. I love it. No more lung infections from not being able to clean the pieces well daily. Arthritis is bad and I can't do so well with my hands, so the additions machine is a wonder;

I hope this info helps and you have the best sleeps from now on. Blessings and enjoy better health...elizaeth

Please sign in or register to post a reply.