Recipes, Food Tips, Healthy Eating & More

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Feb 22, 2019

Some of the members of the Gratitude Discussion Group were interested in having a place to share recipes and food ideas. I’m hoping that we can use this thread as a place to have that kind of discussion. I’d love to hear your ideas for quick meals, comfort food, healthy snacks, and more.

Personally, I’ve just been through a bad reaction to one of my medications that left me with a very queasy stomach. I would love to hear ideas – or recipes – that might be used when you need to get something on your stomach, but don’t want to overdo it.

Hopefully, this thread will even be a place where we can share recipes for special treats and yummy rewards. It doesn’t always have to be healthy!

I’d love to hear from members who have been part of other discussions AND from new members who have good ideas, recipes and food tips to share. I’m excited to see who might start us off here with an awesome food suggestion!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@contentandwell

@fiesty76 My husband really is amazing. They are saying older people have less reaction to the vaccines because our immune systems are not as strong. Well, my husband was miserable for two days and even had a mild temperature! Go figure.

I started limiting salt years ago for some reason, I'm not sure why. Now if anything has much salt at all I can really taste it, as can my husband because he's used to my cooking of course. That does not diminish the love for salty snacks though!
JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell Hello JK. I'm the same as you about salt; don't even touch a salt shaker anymore. I had to cut it back due to high blood pressure and now really find salty foods quite intolerable. The same goes for sweets or milk chocolate ( Jake!). My preference these days is for no sweets, and (Jake!) 75% dark chocolate.
My best to you. Laurie

@mockinbrd

If you like mayonnaise sandwiches, I strongly suggest this. I'm not affiliated with the company but just want to inform. PRIMAL KITCHEN sells mayonnaise that is so delicious AND it is made from avocados. I'm addicted to the stuff. As I eat my salmon salad sandwich I smile and think this is making me healthy. primalKitchenFoods. It seems like one of the good oils that spoken about by others.

Jump to this post

@mockinbrd I rarely eat salad sandwiches with mayo these days due to cholesterol, plus I have somewhat lost my taste for mayo. I use an avocado one too but not Primal Kitchen. When I do make a salad of this sort, like tuna or chicken salad, it's to put it on top of a green salad. I try to stay away from bread.

For salmon salad do you use canned salmon, and do you add anything besides mayo to it? I have a can of salmon that I bought because it's the kind with the bones and is supposed to be good for osteoporosis but I have not yet been brave enough to open it. My intentions were good but when I think of it, it is not appealing.

Dark chocolate is my treat and since it's good for you also I can feel OK about eating it unless I overdo.
JK

@contentandwell

@mockinbrd I rarely eat salad sandwiches with mayo these days due to cholesterol, plus I have somewhat lost my taste for mayo. I use an avocado one too but not Primal Kitchen. When I do make a salad of this sort, like tuna or chicken salad, it's to put it on top of a green salad. I try to stay away from bread.

For salmon salad do you use canned salmon, and do you add anything besides mayo to it? I have a can of salmon that I bought because it's the kind with the bones and is supposed to be good for osteoporosis but I have not yet been brave enough to open it. My intentions were good but when I think of it, it is not appealing.

Dark chocolate is my treat and since it's good for you also I can feel OK about eating it unless I overdo.
JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell JK, before I moved to Assisted Living, and in control of my own meal choices, I loved a meal with a whole can of salmon (bone in) on top of a mixed green salad. Absolutely scrumptious! I only used ordinary mayo, bc didn't know of avocado mayo at the time. Sounds delicious! Good luck some day soon, when you feel adventurous!

@contentandwell

JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell I love Mayo on sandwiches but I use a Vegan mayo it is by Best Foods so tasty . Egg free ,dairy free all plant based ,so good

@lioness

@contentandwell I love Mayo on sandwiches but I use a Vegan mayo it is by Best Foods so tasty . Egg free ,dairy free all plant based ,so good

Jump to this post

Thanks, @lioness That never occurred to me but probably being egg-free it is lower in cholesterol. I'll have to consider that the next time I buy mayo. I don't use it that much so it lasts for a long time. I think Best Foods is Hellman in the eastern part of the country.
JK

@contentandwell

JK

Jump to this post

Yes, I do use canned salmon, but only VitalChoice. I try to stay away from farmed salmon, far far away. This salmon is tasty and the best I can find. Add finely diced celery, carrot, onion. Add fresh dill. Add grapes when available.The smallest little tiny glob of Grey Pupon. And maybe toasted walnuts.
I like this canned salmon for convenience as it is a pantry stable item.
Now,
I pretty much think sardines are disgusting. But, these (conservasdeCambados) are fine. I need vitamin D as I never get outside. I am hoping the sardines, salmon, and pill supplements will help.
Wish I could treat you to my salmon salad because I think you would like it. Remember to add fresh dill!

@mockinbrd

Yes, I do use canned salmon, but only VitalChoice. I try to stay away from farmed salmon, far far away. This salmon is tasty and the best I can find. Add finely diced celery, carrot, onion. Add fresh dill. Add grapes when available.The smallest little tiny glob of Grey Pupon. And maybe toasted walnuts.
I like this canned salmon for convenience as it is a pantry stable item.
Now,
I pretty much think sardines are disgusting. But, these (conservasdeCambados) are fine. I need vitamin D as I never get outside. I am hoping the sardines, salmon, and pill supplements will help.
Wish I could treat you to my salmon salad because I think you would like it. Remember to add fresh dill!

Jump to this post

@mockinbrd I too only eat wild salmon. I don't eat any farmed fish.

Thanks for the suggestions for salmon salad. Maybe this week I will get brave enough to try it! I love regular wild salmon, both King and Sockeye, not so much Coho.
JK

@contentandwell

Thanks, @lioness That never occurred to me but probably being egg-free it is lower in cholesterol. I'll have to consider that the next time I buy mayo. I don't use it that much so it lasts for a long time. I think Best Foods is Hellman in the eastern part of the country.
JK

Jump to this post

@contentandwell Yes it is

@lioness
I bought this a while back but forgot I had it. It’s actually not bad with the caramel and salt. I don’t even need a milk chocolate chaser after I eat it.
Jake

@jakedduck1
Bravo Leonard. I bet you would like the ones with fruit like raspberries or orange. My favorite are Bark Thins , of which I eat too many. I get a large bag at Costco...full of almond or pistachios.

FL Mary

Please sign in or register to post a reply.