Recipes, Food Tips, Healthy Eating & More

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Feb 22, 2019

Some of the members of the Gratitude Discussion Group were interested in having a place to share recipes and food ideas. I’m hoping that we can use this thread as a place to have that kind of discussion. I’d love to hear your ideas for quick meals, comfort food, healthy snacks, and more.

Personally, I’ve just been through a bad reaction to one of my medications that left me with a very queasy stomach. I would love to hear ideas – or recipes – that might be used when you need to get something on your stomach, but don’t want to overdo it.

Hopefully, this thread will even be a place where we can share recipes for special treats and yummy rewards. It doesn’t always have to be healthy!

I’d love to hear from members who have been part of other discussions AND from new members who have good ideas, recipes and food tips to share. I’m excited to see who might start us off here with an awesome food suggestion!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@imallears

@fiesty76
I think these people are extraterrestrials although I used to love bologna on white bread ...no condiments...could eat one now.

FL Mary

Jump to this post

@imallears Oh yes, bologna on white bread, but maybe with a touch of mustard!

@avmcbellar

@fiesty76 I was glad too. I have known for years real butter was also better than the margarines. The only problem is having those “bad” oils in foods like breads, seafood in cans, and processed foods. As a result I have decreased my weekly shopping bill. I find I am cooking more often to make my own foods from scratch like hummus and pita bread. The bad oils are also found in supplements.

Jump to this post

@avmcbellar, My shopping list has changed pretty radically over recent years too. I'd begun limiting salt in my diet a few years ago, which by itself reduced the number of many pkg'd/processed foods. That was followed by a reduction in use of sugar which was harder but I learned to eat oatmeal and other unsugared cereals with fresh/frozen fruits & unsalted nuts instead. Using olive oil & vinegar; a spritz of lemon or perhaps no salad dressings at all came next.

Perhaps the most "telling" change occurred when I realized that instead of planning meals around the frequent red meat-of-the-day, my plates had larger portions of fruits and veggies. For a girl growing up in a cattle producing state married to a guy who thought beef in any form was the only way to have a "real meal", using more chicken, fish and sea food would have the hubby teasing that we must be at poverty's door if I served a meatless meal occasionally.

I still "need" some sweets in my life because they bring comfort and smiles but recently I've found some just too sweet now for my taste. The same goes, especially in restaurants or carry outs when I'm turned off by too much salt.

It was easy to jump on the calcium Viactiv bandwagon because those little delights were like eating caramels. When vitamins and other supplement "gummies" were advertised, I gave those a try as well. Now, I'm back to reading the labels on vitamin and supplement bottles and "saving" my sweet splurges for a slice of pie, cake, scoop of ice cream or cookie or two. Never thought the day would come when I'd prefer the above to the large stash of candies on hand. Guess I ought to send those on to our friend @jakedduck1. Jake, are you up to paying postage? Advance warning there is quite a stash with lots of milk chocolate???

My dental hygienist told me yesterday that her family of four had all had Covid in November. While all lost sense of taste and smell, she alone still can't taste or smell coffee and most foods, including sweets, still taste like cardboard. Wow! Another reason for everyone to get those vaccines as soon as eligible, right?

@imallears

@jakedduck1
I'm butting in. I actually don't like the taste of milk chololate...never did even as a kid and that included those Easter Bunnies..although I always bit the head off. I loved coffee when I first tasted it in high school..My family were tea drinkers which I like too and drink a cup of green tea daily and matcha tea before gym class (loaded with caffine). No sugar with coffee..just half and half and always honey with tea. Different buds ...don't subject yourself to anymore dark chocolate if you hate it but don't say "yuck" either.
FL Mary

Jump to this post

@imallears, You and my older grandson must share DNA. If I'd not been present at his birth, I'd question if we brought home the "right" baby because from the get go, just the thought of anything chocolate makes our 15 yr old queasy to this day!

For years, I loved Halloween because that was the time to buy my year's worth of candy. Halloween became a favorite holiday for my daughter when this little trick-or-treater, turned over all of his gathered chocolates to her. At about 9 yrs, he "smartened up" and began suggesting that in return, it only seemed fair for her to exchange a few dollar bills for the chocolates. Maybe an investment broker in the works? smiles

Like you, Mary, I've enjoyed coffee all different ways and at present, it is with half & half. In TX, ordering tea at a restaurant meant the standard "iced tea". On my first trip to NYC, I was very surprised to order tea and be served hot tea. It was also a surprise to order water and it came with no ice. Added to the teas you mention, I additionally like Jasmine and other herbal teas but without sweetener.

Must be a difference in the type of caffeine tea and coffee have because if I drink coffee at night, I have trouble sleeping. Not the case with hot or iced tea before bed. Does this happen to you or others?

@avmcbellar

@fiesty76 I was glad too. I have known for years real butter was also better than the margarines. The only problem is having those “bad” oils in foods like breads, seafood in cans, and processed foods. As a result I have decreased my weekly shopping bill. I find I am cooking more often to make my own foods from scratch like hummus and pita bread. The bad oils are also found in supplements.

Jump to this post

Let me add, it is the processing in the refinery plants that make the oils “bad”. Products that can be squeezed easily to get oils like olives and avacados are not the problem. Seeds or corn can not be easily squeezed for oil. The refineries used high temperatures and chemicals to extract the oils.

@fiesty76

@avmcbellar, My shopping list has changed pretty radically over recent years too. I'd begun limiting salt in my diet a few years ago, which by itself reduced the number of many pkg'd/processed foods. That was followed by a reduction in use of sugar which was harder but I learned to eat oatmeal and other unsugared cereals with fresh/frozen fruits & unsalted nuts instead. Using olive oil & vinegar; a spritz of lemon or perhaps no salad dressings at all came next.

Perhaps the most "telling" change occurred when I realized that instead of planning meals around the frequent red meat-of-the-day, my plates had larger portions of fruits and veggies. For a girl growing up in a cattle producing state married to a guy who thought beef in any form was the only way to have a "real meal", using more chicken, fish and sea food would have the hubby teasing that we must be at poverty's door if I served a meatless meal occasionally.

I still "need" some sweets in my life because they bring comfort and smiles but recently I've found some just too sweet now for my taste. The same goes, especially in restaurants or carry outs when I'm turned off by too much salt.

It was easy to jump on the calcium Viactiv bandwagon because those little delights were like eating caramels. When vitamins and other supplement "gummies" were advertised, I gave those a try as well. Now, I'm back to reading the labels on vitamin and supplement bottles and "saving" my sweet splurges for a slice of pie, cake, scoop of ice cream or cookie or two. Never thought the day would come when I'd prefer the above to the large stash of candies on hand. Guess I ought to send those on to our friend @jakedduck1. Jake, are you up to paying postage? Advance warning there is quite a stash with lots of milk chocolate???

My dental hygienist told me yesterday that her family of four had all had Covid in November. While all lost sense of taste and smell, she alone still can't taste or smell coffee and most foods, including sweets, still taste like cardboard. Wow! Another reason for everyone to get those vaccines as soon as eligible, right?

Jump to this post

@fiesty76 I can agree totally with everything you've said and done with regard to food! I've done exactly the same.
I feel so sad for your poor dentist, not being able to smell coffee anymore. That's one of our primal joys in life, is it not? So sorry her whole family had Covid. Get your shots, folks. I've had my first, but have to abide by my province's new 16-week protocol. Troubling. Canada has run short of vaccine.

@artist01

@imallears Oh yes, bologna on white bread, but maybe with a touch of mustard!

Jump to this post

@artist01 We used to love fried bologna sandwiches! Haven’t had one since I was a teen?

@becsbuddy

@artist01 We used to love fried bologna sandwiches! Haven’t had one since I was a teen?

Jump to this post

@becsbuddy Oh, Becky, I had forgotten about fried bologna! A real delicacy during WWll days, when I was a kid! My seniors' residence has just this week added bologna sandwiches to our menu choice. I can hardly wait!

@fiesty76

@imallears, You and my older grandson must share DNA. If I'd not been present at his birth, I'd question if we brought home the "right" baby because from the get go, just the thought of anything chocolate makes our 15 yr old queasy to this day!

For years, I loved Halloween because that was the time to buy my year's worth of candy. Halloween became a favorite holiday for my daughter when this little trick-or-treater, turned over all of his gathered chocolates to her. At about 9 yrs, he "smartened up" and began suggesting that in return, it only seemed fair for her to exchange a few dollar bills for the chocolates. Maybe an investment broker in the works? smiles

Like you, Mary, I've enjoyed coffee all different ways and at present, it is with half & half. In TX, ordering tea at a restaurant meant the standard "iced tea". On my first trip to NYC, I was very surprised to order tea and be served hot tea. It was also a surprise to order water and it came with no ice. Added to the teas you mention, I additionally like Jasmine and other herbal teas but without sweetener.

Must be a difference in the type of caffeine tea and coffee have because if I drink coffee at night, I have trouble sleeping. Not the case with hot or iced tea before bed. Does this happen to you or others?

Jump to this post

@fiesty76 Ice tea? Blah! We always get hot tea when ordering tea at Canadian restaurants.
Like you, I can't sleep after drinking coffee or tea at night, but decaf of either is ok. I know, I know - decaf is not good for us. Actually, I only drink decaf tea now, lunch and dinner. Old age sucks. Lol

@becsbuddy

Jump to this post

@becsbuddy
We had fried bologna and scrambled eggs when I was a kid. I remember just eating the fried bologna by itself. We also had kippers for breakfast. Dad was English and Mom was Irish. I remember her making Welsh Rarebit with onions as a quick dinner or lunch.
But just plain old bologna on white bread was the best and of course, who could forget mayonnaise sandwiches.

FL Mary

@fiesty76

Jump to this post

@fiesty76
Hi,

It’s just milk chocolate I don’t like ....anything dark chocolate flavored or bars are my favorite. I only drink decaf green tea....hot....for lunch. No coffee or tea generally after that. Caffeine would keep me awake at night although chocolate has its fair amount. It’s usually unsweetened ice tea at a restaurant...unless of course it’s dinner, then it’s wine naturally. There are just times when I just like hot tea with lunch...depends on what lunch is that day....and it has to be green tea. I do like herbal ice teas.

FL Mary

Please sign in or register to post a reply.