Recipes, Food Tips, Healthy Eating & More

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Feb 22, 2019

Some of the members of the Gratitude Discussion Group were interested in having a place to share recipes and food ideas. I’m hoping that we can use this thread as a place to have that kind of discussion. I’d love to hear your ideas for quick meals, comfort food, healthy snacks, and more.

Personally, I’ve just been through a bad reaction to one of my medications that left me with a very queasy stomach. I would love to hear ideas – or recipes – that might be used when you need to get something on your stomach, but don’t want to overdo it.

Hopefully, this thread will even be a place where we can share recipes for special treats and yummy rewards. It doesn’t always have to be healthy!

I’d love to hear from members who have been part of other discussions AND from new members who have good ideas, recipes and food tips to share. I’m excited to see who might start us off here with an awesome food suggestion!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@imallears

@jakedduck1
No hurricane but it has been pretty much a steady rain all day with short respites and is now pouring again. This is our rainy season but our reservoirs are still 5-6 inches below normal. Usually we get late afternoon thunderstorms so we pretty much know when to expect them. We also get power outages but they don’t last too long. I’m at the screaming point right now...STOP RAINING! But looking forward to Chicken Cutlet Parm later.

Soggy Fl Mary

Jump to this post

@imallears, Didn't see the time you were expecting us for dinner?????? Sounds yummie!

@jakedduck1

@merpreb
Thanks Merry but prepared foods not allowed either. I’d like to go out for a glorious steak dinner with a monster baked potato with globs of butter, sour cream, chives and cheese also some asparagus smothered in cheese sauce and a Dr Pepper. Then stop by the cheesecake kitchen for dessert. It’s been over a year since I’ve gone out for a decent meal. After all it is my birthday. But my doctor would squawk big time. Oh well, the fantasy was nice while it lasted.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck don't know if this info will be old stuff to you and others that are suffering trying to eat food that tastes good and easy to prepare. It took me a long time but with the help of the internet but know that changing what we eat and how has to be a permanent change. First the grocery store has pre cut fruits and vegtables vegan version of mayo - Vegenaise !ow sodium and low fat. In freezer compartment are chopped versions of many veggies no sodium my newest discovery was plain cauliflower rice. Now I make my own. Online on the search bar enter "all recipes " this enormous website asks what are you looking for enter what you want to make or research. Online or on TV there are multiple cooking shows entire what type and press enter. Since my food issues jump around by issues I started with Vegan recipes to get a base of understanding. I do eat chicken and salmon but wasn't raised with a healthy variety. Also the key to me besides easy is very few ingredients usually 3 - 5 covers it. Of course you know that pasta comes in whole wheat lentil chickpea pea protein greens. etc and ancient grains are highest in protein quinoa farro couscous. And monk fruit is a natural sweetener. I recently made vegan .mac 'n cheese honestly and am going to make seiten soon. Start slow it's doable just takes patience.

@lolaemma, Thank you for providing this link for "all recipes". I like experimenting with new recipes and this looks like an excellent source.

@lolaemma

@jakedduck don't know if this info will be old stuff to you and others that are suffering trying to eat food that tastes good and easy to prepare. It took me a long time but with the help of the internet but know that changing what we eat and how has to be a permanent change. First the grocery store has pre cut fruits and vegtables vegan version of mayo - Vegenaise !ow sodium and low fat. In freezer compartment are chopped versions of many veggies no sodium my newest discovery was plain cauliflower rice. Now I make my own. Online on the search bar enter "all recipes " this enormous website asks what are you looking for enter what you want to make or research. Online or on TV there are multiple cooking shows entire what type and press enter. Since my food issues jump around by issues I started with Vegan recipes to get a base of understanding. I do eat chicken and salmon but wasn't raised with a healthy variety. Also the key to me besides easy is very few ingredients usually 3 - 5 covers it. Of course you know that pasta comes in whole wheat lentil chickpea pea protein greens. etc and ancient grains are highest in protein quinoa farro couscous. And monk fruit is a natural sweetener. I recently made vegan .mac 'n cheese honestly and am going to make seiten soon. Start slow it's doable just takes patience.

Jump to this post

Good ideas, @lolaemma!

@lolaemma

Jump to this post

@lolaemma
“....changing what we eat and how has to be a permanent change.” I absolutely love the direction you are going in and the fact that you are actively thinking about and following the process of your research. I tried chickpea pasta last week and the brand Banza was excellent. I was also surprised at a purchase at Whole Foods this weekend of their brand (365) plant based cheddar...a cheese alternative. The nutritional facts seemed similar to regular cheese with few ingredients and it actually tasted like cheese. It melted well on a veggie burger for my plant based food day. I also love mashed cauliflower and found a frozen version that has simple ingredients also.

May I suggest again that we all read labels when we shop. Too many of “vegan” and gluten free products are not healthy at all. Know where your food is sourced if possible.
Keep up the great adventure.

FL Mary

@jakedduck1

@lioness
Now that’s an idea more to my liking but not to filling. Guess I’m asking for the impossible. I use to cook every day, guess I regained my sanity since then.

Jump to this post

@jakeduck1 if you like salads here is a recipe.
1 c spinach, 1c of cabbage, 1 cucumber, 1 avocado. I buy spinach and cabbage in a bag, I only use 1/4 of cucumber and 1/2 avocado. It is a similar recipe from one of Dr. Josh Axe receipes (online website to increase bone density but he uses more to make a smoothie).

@imallears

@lolaemma
“....changing what we eat and how has to be a permanent change.” I absolutely love the direction you are going in and the fact that you are actively thinking about and following the process of your research. I tried chickpea pasta last week and the brand Banza was excellent. I was also surprised at a purchase at Whole Foods this weekend of their brand (365) plant based cheddar...a cheese alternative. The nutritional facts seemed similar to regular cheese with few ingredients and it actually tasted like cheese. It melted well on a veggie burger for my plant based food day. I also love mashed cauliflower and found a frozen version that has simple ingredients also.

May I suggest again that we all read labels when we shop. Too many of “vegan” and gluten free products are not healthy at all. Know where your food is sourced if possible.
Keep up the great adventure.

FL Mary

Jump to this post

Hi Mary,
We must be on the same page, I also bought Banza spaghetti, it’s good, but will return to my former spaghetti.
Looking at ingredients, Banza has XANTHAN. GUM. Not the greatest ingredient to ingest.
It’s made in Riverside, California that is a city going towards the low desert.
Our markets are going thru another run of food, with aisles of empty shelves.
Funcountess

@funcountess
Hi
We are definitely on the same page. I made scallops provincial tonight using what I had left of the Banza spaghetti and it was good but not the same as my regular Dreamfield pasta. So the dish wasn’t as wonderful as it usually is. I have a box left (was on sale at the time) of rotelle and will use it up in soups. Always willing to try new things but find I have to look up a lot of the unknown ingredients so it’s a crap shoot at best. So it’s back to my regular brand also although I don’t eat a lot of pasta.

I wonder why certain areas of the country have shortages from time to time. There are no food shortages of any kind here for the most part. But about a month ago you couldn’t t get napkins anywhere but the aisles were filled with TP and paper towels. Napkins are back but not in abundance...how veddy veddy strange....

FL Mary

@imallears

@funcountess
Hi
We are definitely on the same page. I made scallops provincial tonight using what I had left of the Banza spaghetti and it was good but not the same as my regular Dreamfield pasta. So the dish wasn’t as wonderful as it usually is. I have a box left (was on sale at the time) of rotelle and will use it up in soups. Always willing to try new things but find I have to look up a lot of the unknown ingredients so it’s a crap shoot at best. So it’s back to my regular brand also although I don’t eat a lot of pasta.

I wonder why certain areas of the country have shortages from time to time. There are no food shortages of any kind here for the most part. But about a month ago you couldn’t t get napkins anywhere but the aisles were filled with TP and paper towels. Napkins are back but not in abundance...how veddy veddy strange....

FL Mary

Jump to this post

I have the same question, @imallears. A few weeks ago, I was shocked that not a single brand of peanut butter was available! Who knows what is causing the shortages of particular goods in some areas but not others? "veddy veddy strange" indeed!"

I also heartily endorse what both you and @lolaemma wrote. As a result of diet changes, I've improved lab values for two chronic health conditions!…."changing what we eat and how has to be a permanent change.”

Fiesty76,.
I don’t eat peanut butter, but yesterday —Monday I also noticed low peanut butter stock.
Can you imagine I grabbed the last box of saltine crackers.the frozen food isle was low on everything. 10 days already, and they are still out of jello cups.
I think people are worrying about the 2nd cov19 wave, and the seasonal flu. My market is in a dense population area, that could be part of the problem.
Do you read food labels?
Funcountess

Please sign in or register to post a reply.