Recipes, Food Tips, Healthy Eating & More

Posted by Debbra Williams, Alumna Mentor @debbraw, Feb 22, 2019

Some of the members of the Gratitude Discussion Group were interested in having a place to share recipes and food ideas. I’m hoping that we can use this thread as a place to have that kind of discussion. I’d love to hear your ideas for quick meals, comfort food, healthy snacks, and more.

Personally, I’ve just been through a bad reaction to one of my medications that left me with a very queasy stomach. I would love to hear ideas – or recipes – that might be used when you need to get something on your stomach, but don’t want to overdo it.

Hopefully, this thread will even be a place where we can share recipes for special treats and yummy rewards. It doesn’t always have to be healthy!

I’d love to hear from members who have been part of other discussions AND from new members who have good ideas, recipes and food tips to share. I’m excited to see who might start us off here with an awesome food suggestion!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@imallears
No, the miserable sucker never did come. If the goon ever does show up I’m going to beat what little sense he has right out of him. Oh well, I’m getting used to eating ashes anyway.
As for the mask I think Colleen would object to me telling you exactly what you can do with it. I’m tired of this authoritarian dictatorship that has engulfed our country. At least in my opinion.
I’ve had 2 antibody tests so far, another in a week.
Negative so far. The Red Cross tests every donation.

@jakedduck1

@marjou
Hi there,
Yes indeedy, candy, one of the 5 major food groups, candy, cake, cookies. pies & pastery.
A member says I have unsophisticated taste buds, I think one reason is because I like milk chocolate better than that hideous dark chocolate.
“I've tried dark chocolate with sea salt and bits of orange rind which wasn't too bad.” But it probably wasn’t something you like to have again, right?
Anyway it’s nice to know I have company. I love Hershey with almonds too. I have a 5 pound Hershey bar but it doesn’t have almonds in it. If you live in central California come on over and we can have a ball scarfing that sucker down. I have tons of candy that’s one thing I never run out of. When I tried the dark chocolate I made sure that I had a milk chocolate chaser!!

Milk vs dark chocolate consumption
MILK DARK
Teen 13-17 88% 12%
Adults 18-44 85% 15%
Adults 45+ 71% 29%

This chart is proof positive some people dont get any wiser as they age. I think the reason the 45+ age group went up a bit is because many of you oldies fall for all this health propaganda nonsense. Stick with me kids I’ll get you back on the right track!!!
Take care kids,
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 Yes indeed give me Hershey's anytime! For me the dark chocolate is too bitter. I put mine in th freezer these days because of summer temps in New Mexico. At one time I lived in California mostly L. A.. Was going to visit friends there but COVID hit. Where in central California r u located?

Sorry to hear ur "chef" didn't work out. You have a good sense of humor about it and life in general.

@marjou
I have a Great Uncle in Los Lunas. If he’s still kickin he’d be 91.
I live 80 miles east of San Francisco in Modesto. I gave my potential “chef” a good dressing down but I dont think it phased him any.
I’ll get the better of him eventually to be sure.
Take care,
Jake

@jakedduck1

@fiesty76
You sure are an Ornery cuss feisty. I understand why you chose that particular user name it fits you to a T. My kind of person. I know how to use a thermometer I used to make candy remember. In case you were never an accomplished candy maker like myself thermometers are used all the time althya different type. Stick with me kid I’ll teach you all the finer things of cooking. Feel free to ask me any questions whenever you need help. I am here to serve.
You guys won’t believe this in fact I hardly believe it myself but I was at the grocery store the other day what a dreary miserable day that was but I bought some regular candy Which brightened my day immensely. which brightened my day immensely.
I was standing at the checkout counter and just happened to glance over and see a display of dark chocolate and of course my first thought was yuck, And I saw some 50% dark chocolate with sea salt and I was wondering if I could gag that down so I bought it and surprisingly enough it wasn’t too terribly horrible. Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying it was good by any stretch of the imagination. Do you by chance know if it comes in 20 30 40% dark chocolate?

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1, Yup! I answer willingly to "onery cuss". In fact, it is an endearment considering some of the other monickers unabashedly thrown my way! Not to boast, but my early kitchen seductions were due to my passionate desires to make homemade candy. Only those long standing/stirring sweet successes 30-40 yrs later enticed me to happen into the kitchen to try a hand and hotpad for veggies and casseroles. I am bowed on bended knee in abject humility and awe at your astonishing bravery at the purchase of a sea salted, dark chocolate bar. Truly, your feats of courage leave the rest of us poor morsels in the dust. Guess we'll have to start stocking up before you begin stockpiling. Just to prevent a raid, I'll share that Ghiradardelli produces some heavenly sea salt, dark chocolate mint and melt in the mouth milk chocolate caramel candies too. Here's the deal: I'll share my mom's fab Divinity and Millionaire secrets with you if you'll let us know how your next rendition of thermometer tested baked chickie breast turns out. As for sticking with you, are you a believer in making popcorn balls and poppycock???

@jakedduck1

@marjou
Hi there,
Yes indeedy, candy, one of the 5 major food groups, candy, cake, cookies. pies & pastery.
A member says I have unsophisticated taste buds, I think one reason is because I like milk chocolate better than that hideous dark chocolate.
“I've tried dark chocolate with sea salt and bits of orange rind which wasn't too bad.” But it probably wasn’t something you like to have again, right?
Anyway it’s nice to know I have company. I love Hershey with almonds too. I have a 5 pound Hershey bar but it doesn’t have almonds in it. If you live in central California come on over and we can have a ball scarfing that sucker down. I have tons of candy that’s one thing I never run out of. When I tried the dark chocolate I made sure that I had a milk chocolate chaser!!

Milk vs dark chocolate consumption
MILK DARK
Teen 13-17 88% 12%
Adults 18-44 85% 15%
Adults 45+ 71% 29%

This chart is proof positive some people dont get any wiser as they age. I think the reason the 45+ age group went up a bit is because many of you oldies fall for all this health propaganda nonsense. Stick with me kids I’ll get you back on the right track!!!
Take care kids,
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1, Now, Leonard, what you have yet to learn but need to understand is that we "oldies" have added Wisdom and a Taste for the Finer Things of Life in Maturity. I Do hold out hope for you because you aced the 5 major foods!!! Sincerely appreciate your great tip for chasing one candy with another....will try that tonight!!! Being a senior, I thought the route was to chase a sweet with a salty and then repeat...and repeat...See we olde dowgs can learn or at least try new tricks!

@jakedduck1

@marjou
I have a Great Uncle in Los Lunas. If he’s still kickin he’d be 91.
I live 80 miles east of San Francisco in Modesto. I gave my potential “chef” a good dressing down but I dont think it phased him any.
I’ll get the better of him eventually to be sure.
Take care,
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1, Yes, Deny your potential chef all access to candy if he ever shows up....That will fix his wagon!!!!!

@fiesty76
Hi,
I’ve about decided if he comes he won’t live long enough to get near any.
Jake

IMPORTANT FOOD ALERT

The candy bar “Payday” now comes chocolate covered. Has anyone tried one yet? I don’t know about you but I’m off to the store!!!!!
Jake

@jakedduck1

IMPORTANT FOOD ALERT

The candy bar “Payday” now comes chocolate covered. Has anyone tried one yet? I don’t know about you but I’m off to the store!!!!!
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 How exciting! Please give a critique.🎉

@jakedduck1

IMPORTANT FOOD ALERT

Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1, And how many did you buy? How many sampled? What's the maestro's verdict????

Please sign in or register to post a reply.