Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR): Meet others & Share Your Story

Welcome to the Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR) group on Mayo Clinic Connect.

Meet other members who are dealing with PMR. Let’s learn from each other and share stories about living well with PMR, coping with the challenges and offering tips.We look forward to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.

Grab a cup of coffee or beverage of choice and let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What's your experience with PMR? How are you doing today?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR) Support Group.

@vjs

On 15 mg pred to start for PMR, now down to 12.5. Pain has returned. I get facial hot flashes every night and I awake with a red hot face. I believe it’s prednisone related. Annoying.

Jump to this post

My hot flashes ( and they are not just flashes but sometimes long lasting) started at the same time as my body pain so mine is not prednisone related.
My face feels like it is burning but is not red and there is no sweat involved. I find I can keep it at bay by keeping the ac on very low and using ceiling fans.

@vjs

On 15 mg pred to start for PMR, now down to 12.5. Pain has returned. I get facial hot flashes every night and I awake with a red hot face. I believe it’s prednisone related. Annoying.

Jump to this post

Hi @bren2023 & @vjs
I just wanted you to both know that I had significant facial warm spells before my PMR diagnosis and prednisone, so it may be part of the disease. I remember feeling like I was getting the flu or something in addition to my hip and shoulder pain but I never developed the flu. I even remember taking my temperature several days and it was slightly elevated. My rheumatologist told me that was part of his cue to test for PMR. I hope that info is helpful. Blessings!
Sandi

Delicate subject: I have PMR, on 12.5 prednisone from a 15 mg starting dose
Does anyone get extreme pain in the rectum? My bowels have been thin or loose ( I have IBS), so that’s kind of normal for me. But not the frequent pain. I did have a colon resection a year Feb. surgeon and doc say all ok after surgery. Thoughts??

@bren2023

I'm still waiting for a diagnosis of PMR or fibromyalgia or something else. I am 81, female, northern Europe ancestry.
I don't run to drs with every ache and pain so when I began having pain in my hips that made it hard to walk but once I started walking it eased up a bit. I basically ignored it saying "oh, it's just bursitis, it will go away" but it didn't , then came the pain in arms,shoulders neck and back of head, so after 5 months and getting worse I went to a doctor near me.
She said it sounds like PMR and sent me for blood tests. Tests did not show the right markers so she just told me it's not PMR and had no further comments. In telling her all my symptoms, she looked at me like I have 3 heads.
So, I went to another doctor who I don't trust either. He suggested Lupus and ordered the tests which did show positive ana and high anti , however I have none of the symptoms of Lupus and at my age the likelihood is remote.
I read a lot, everything I can find and my symptoms also suggest fibromyalgia as well as polymyalgia.
I told him this and he said "Nonsense" fibromyalgia is a made up disease doctors use when they don't know.
He referred me to a rheumatologist with whom I have an appointment in August.
Meanwhile, he prescribed 60 mg a day of prednisone for 14 days! No way in xxxx am I taking 60 mg a day of prednisone, not even for one day. I will take 15 mg for a few days and see if it helps.
One symptom that I can't find the answer to is severe hot flashes that are limited to my face and ears. My face burns but does not feel hot to the touch. I have to keep the room very cool and use fans.
I am anxious to learn what I am dealing with.

Jump to this post

Hi @bren2023, it's possible to have PMR without the inflammatory markers being high for a while. I also thought I had fibromyalgia. I was not diagnosed for a year. I did have PMR, then Giant Cell Arteritis and had to take 40 mg of prednisone to control it (blindness or stroke can result if GCA is not treated). I've been off prednisone about nine months.
When I had GCA I had a lot of head symptoms - a very stiff neck, a tender scalp, short stabbing pains from my ear to my nose. I developed an extreme sensitivity to sunlight and had a few episodes where I couldn't see out of my right eye. I also had a very itchy torso (no rash) for a couple of weeks..
The burning face and ears are odd. Be sure to mention them to the rheumatologist. If you have any problems with your eyes, it's best to go to the Emergency Room.
I wish you the best.

@bren2023

I'm still waiting for a diagnosis of PMR or fibromyalgia or something else. I am 81, female, northern Europe ancestry.
I don't run to drs with every ache and pain so when I began having pain in my hips that made it hard to walk but once I started walking it eased up a bit. I basically ignored it saying "oh, it's just bursitis, it will go away" but it didn't , then came the pain in arms,shoulders neck and back of head, so after 5 months and getting worse I went to a doctor near me.
She said it sounds like PMR and sent me for blood tests. Tests did not show the right markers so she just told me it's not PMR and had no further comments. In telling her all my symptoms, she looked at me like I have 3 heads.
So, I went to another doctor who I don't trust either. He suggested Lupus and ordered the tests which did show positive ana and high anti , however I have none of the symptoms of Lupus and at my age the likelihood is remote.
I read a lot, everything I can find and my symptoms also suggest fibromyalgia as well as polymyalgia.
I told him this and he said "Nonsense" fibromyalgia is a made up disease doctors use when they don't know.
Meanwhile, he prescribed 60 mg a day of prednisone for 14 days! No way in xxxx am I taking 60 mg a day of prednisone, not even for one day. I will take 15 mg for a few days and see if it helps.
One symptom that I can't find the answer to is severe hot flashes that are limited to my face and ears. My face burns but does not feel hot to the touch. I have to keep the room very cool and use fans.

Jump to this post

OMG they tested me Five times for LUPUS! Why is that usually a go to for doctors! I think you’ll find that most of us had to start with a higher dose of prednisone. I started at 40mg but I couldn’t walk. My legs felt like they were in asked in cement. I also did not fit the normal profile. Mine was totally in thighs, hips, lower back. Inflammation markers were off the charts though. I started pred in December and am now down to 12.5mg along with methotrexate. I have the sweats and sometimes, like you, feel hot. Are the hot flashes new since you started taking prednisone? Or did you have before?

@barracudacool

OMG they tested me Five times for LUPUS! Why is that usually a go to for doctors! I think you’ll find that most of us had to start with a higher dose of prednisone. I started at 40mg but I couldn’t walk. My legs felt like they were in asked in cement. I also did not fit the normal profile. Mine was totally in thighs, hips, lower back. Inflammation markers were off the charts though. I started pred in December and am now down to 12.5mg along with methotrexate. I have the sweats and sometimes, like you, feel hot. Are the hot flashes new since you started taking prednisone? Or did you have before?

Jump to this post

NO, the hot flashes started at the same time as the muscle pain. If the room is not cold enough, I feel like I feel like it is hot sun on my face and I'm in Arizona (109 today)
I had my 5th covid vaccine (the Omicron) in December and this started in January. Maybe a coincidence. Dr thinks there is a connection to vaccines.
My legs are heavy too and painful to walk but after 2 days on 15 mg pred, I already feel some relief in my muscles but the hot face is still here. It may be something different from pmr. I just don't know.

@vjs

Jump to this post

Hi,

Yes, every early evening I have facial hot flashes. Last a couple of hours then thankfully goes away.

Thanks for posting!

@bren2023

NO, the hot flashes started at the same time as the muscle pain. If the room is not cold enough, I feel like I feel like it is hot sun on my face and I'm in Arizona (109 today)
I had my 5th covid vaccine (the Omicron) in December and this started in January. Maybe a coincidence. Dr thinks there is a connection to vaccines.
My legs are heavy too and painful to walk but after 2 days on 15 mg pred, I already feel some relief in my muscles but the hot face is still here. It may be something different from pmr. I just don't know.

Jump to this post

Sure sounds like PMR. Everybody has a different experience with it. Some people have no high inflammation markers at all. And yes mine started as a result of long Covid, a bad flu and the vaccine. Threw my body into inflammatory overdrive.

@bren2023

Jump to this post

Hi @bren2023 - So sorry you’re dealing with this and you’ve seen multiple doctors now who haven’t been supportive. Sadly, it happens too often, and we end up needing to be advocates for ourselves.

Just wanted to add along with the others who have said that it is possible to still have PMR without elevated inflammatory markers. It’s somewhat less common but definitely not unheard of. GCA, which occurs frequently with PMR often has “head” symptoms.

It’s great you’re feeling a better with the 15 mg prednisone, but it’s actually pretty common to start with a higher dose. I believe my dad started at 20 mg, and after an initial improvement his symptoms and inflammatory markers spiked and he was out on 30 mg. Higher doses are used for GCA or if it’s strongly suspected because it’s so much more dangerous (could lose your vision of higher risk of stroke).

Was one of your doctors a rheumatologist? If not, do you think you’d be able to consult with a rheumatologist? There are still dismissive and unsupportive rheumatologists out there but it may be less likely to find one, as they’re usually best positioned to diagnose PMR and/or fibromyalgia and/or lupus or distinguish it from other conditions that share similar symptoms.

I hope you feel better soon and find answers, despite all the challenges.

@emo

Hi @bren2023 - So sorry you’re dealing with this and you’ve seen multiple doctors now who haven’t been supportive. Sadly, it happens too often, and we end up needing to be advocates for ourselves.

Just wanted to add along with the others who have said that it is possible to still have PMR without elevated inflammatory markers. It’s somewhat less common but definitely not unheard of. GCA, which occurs frequently with PMR often has “head” symptoms.

It’s great you’re feeling a better with the 15 mg prednisone, but it’s actually pretty common to start with a higher dose. I believe my dad started at 20 mg, and after an initial improvement his symptoms and inflammatory markers spiked and he was out on 30 mg. Higher doses are used for GCA or if it’s strongly suspected because it’s so much more dangerous (could lose your vision of higher risk of stroke).

Was one of your doctors a rheumatologist? If not, do you think you’d be able to consult with a rheumatologist? There are still dismissive and unsupportive rheumatologists out there but it may be less likely to find one, as they’re usually best positioned to diagnose PMR and/or fibromyalgia and/or lupus or distinguish it from other conditions that share similar symptoms.

I hope you feel better soon and find answers, despite all the challenges.

Jump to this post

Yes, I think I feel a SLIGHT improvement after 2 days on 15mg but after walking my dog this morning, the pain increased.
Both of my doctors are family doctors , I have an appointment with a rheumatologist in August and and switching my primary care to an internist.
Thanks, Bren

Please sign in or register to post a reply.