Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR): Meet others & Share Your Story

Welcome to the Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR) group on Mayo Clinic Connect.

Meet other members who are dealing with PMR. Let’s learn from each other and share stories about living well with PMR, coping with the challenges and offering tips.We look forward to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.

Grab a cup of coffee or beverage of choice and let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What's your experience with PMR? How are you doing today?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR) Support Group.

@bren2023

I'm still waiting for a diagnosis of PMR or fibromyalgia or something else. I am 81, female, northern Europe ancestry.
I don't run to drs with every ache and pain so when I began having pain in my hips that made it hard to walk but once I started walking it eased up a bit. I basically ignored it saying "oh, it's just bursitis, it will go away" but it didn't , then came the pain in arms,shoulders neck and back of head, so after 5 months and getting worse I went to a doctor near me.
She said it sounds like PMR and sent me for blood tests. Tests did not show the right markers so she just told me it's not PMR and had no further comments. In telling her all my symptoms, she looked at me like I have 3 heads.
So, I went to another doctor who I don't trust either. He suggested Lupus and ordered the tests which did show positive ana and high anti , however I have none of the symptoms of Lupus and at my age the likelihood is remote.
I read a lot, everything I can find and my symptoms also suggest fibromyalgia as well as polymyalgia.
I told him this and he said "Nonsense" fibromyalgia is a made up disease doctors use when they don't know.
He referred me to a rheumatologist with whom I have an appointment in August.
Meanwhile, he prescribed 60 mg a day of prednisone for 14 days! No way in xxxx am I taking 60 mg a day of prednisone, not even for one day. I will take 15 mg for a few days and see if it helps.
One symptom that I can't find the answer to is severe hot flashes that are limited to my face and ears. My face burns but does not feel hot to the touch. I have to keep the room very cool and use fans.
I am anxious to learn what I am dealing with.

Jump to this post

After my diagnosis in early May, my rheumatologist started me on 20 mg prednisone in the morning, tapering to 15 mg in the morning after that first week. I had a pattern of 2-3 good days followed by 2 awful days (needed my wife to help me out of bed, and I'm only 52) for about a week and half. After I complained that I was making no progress, my rheumatologist increased my dosage to 30 mg a day, splitting the dosage at 20 mg in the morning, 10 mg at night. I had almost instant improvement (little to no pain within a couple of days), and he kept me on that for 4 weeks. I started my taper to 17.5 mg in morning and 7.5 mg at night last Thursday, and aside from a couple of headaches, the symptoms have not returned. If I stay symptom-free for 2 weeks, I'll taper to 15 and 5, for 2 weeks , etc.. until hopefully I make it to zero sometime early next year.

Obviously my experience with this is still very limited, but 60 mg to the highest dosage I've ever heard of. I don't think I've seen mention of anything higher than 40 mg/day on this board. For me, splitting my daily dosage seemed to make a world of difference in my results. I haven't had morning pain since day 1 of the split dosage, about a month ago.

Another thing that I felt like I had to do (which is outside of my comfort zone; I'm generally shy) was call into my medical network's scheduling team every day, about 30 minutes after the lines open, to check for canceled appointments. I was initially scheduled for early July in late April, which I didn't think I could endure at the time, and got my initial rheumatologist appointment moved all the way up to May 9, after calling in every morning for about a week. I got lucky, but I'd not be shy about calling in case someone cancels in front of you, to get in earlier. Maybe you will get lucky too!

Best of luck! I hope the appointment in August (or earlier) gets you the treatment you need!

@bfh3

After my diagnosis in early May, my rheumatologist started me on 20 mg prednisone in the morning, tapering to 15 mg in the morning after that first week. I had a pattern of 2-3 good days followed by 2 awful days (needed my wife to help me out of bed, and I'm only 52) for about a week and half. After I complained that I was making no progress, my rheumatologist increased my dosage to 30 mg a day, splitting the dosage at 20 mg in the morning, 10 mg at night. I had almost instant improvement (little to no pain within a couple of days), and he kept me on that for 4 weeks. I started my taper to 17.5 mg in morning and 7.5 mg at night last Thursday, and aside from a couple of headaches, the symptoms have not returned. If I stay symptom-free for 2 weeks, I'll taper to 15 and 5, for 2 weeks , etc.. until hopefully I make it to zero sometime early next year.

Obviously my experience with this is still very limited, but 60 mg to the highest dosage I've ever heard of. I don't think I've seen mention of anything higher than 40 mg/day on this board. For me, splitting my daily dosage seemed to make a world of difference in my results. I haven't had morning pain since day 1 of the split dosage, about a month ago.

Another thing that I felt like I had to do (which is outside of my comfort zone; I'm generally shy) was call into my medical network's scheduling team every day, about 30 minutes after the lines open, to check for canceled appointments. I was initially scheduled for early July in late April, which I didn't think I could endure at the time, and got my initial rheumatologist appointment moved all the way up to May 9, after calling in every morning for about a week. I got lucky, but I'd not be shy about calling in case someone cancels in front of you, to get in earlier. Maybe you will get lucky too!

Best of luck! I hope the appointment in August (or earlier) gets you the treatment you need!

Jump to this post

Thank you for your comments and best of luck to you. I will try your suggestion of calling in for cancelled appointments.

I finally saw a rheumatologist last week!! Been waiting since February! So, it’s officially PMR - my primary was amazing and after being on 40mg of prednisone for 9 weeks my ESR went from 69 to 20! I now start decreasing prednisone by 5mg every week until I hit 20mg then wait 2 weeks and taper down by 2.5 every week - increased methotrexate to 17.5 weekly - it’s relieving to finally have a diagnosis and a game plan

In 2010 I started prednisone 10mg after PMR was diagnosed by exclusion of other arthritic type causes that might be possible given my PMR symptoms but with a normal sed rate. I went through an excruciating episode of not being able to lift my hands over my head to take off clothing, not being able to lift bedclothes to turn in bed, extreme fatigue, difficulty rising from a chair, and pain, especially in my left deltoid. By the time I got in to see my rheumatologist all symptoms had receded except the deltoid pain. I was tapered off prednisone but then represcribed for a flareup a couple of times that was mostly deltoid pain. My doctor made the glib comment that “low dose prednisone was the new aspirin” which I wrongly took to mean it was harmless. I stayed on 5mg for several years. Upon moving to a new state in 2021 the rheumatologist here began reducing my prednisone immediately till I got to 2 mg/day where I have stayed. He says he will not be able to get me off it. I began getting calcium deposits in both hands at about 3 mg prednisone and pain and weakness in both wrists which is severe at times, particularly at night. He prescribed colchicine 3mg, currently at 6mg BID. It at first helped a little but doesn’t seem to be helping now. Does anyone have a similar experience or done anything for this wrist pain that worked? Thanks for any input.

@bunnybear

In 2010 I started prednisone 10mg after PMR was diagnosed by exclusion of other arthritic type causes that might be possible given my PMR symptoms but with a normal sed rate. I went through an excruciating episode of not being able to lift my hands over my head to take off clothing, not being able to lift bedclothes to turn in bed, extreme fatigue, difficulty rising from a chair, and pain, especially in my left deltoid. By the time I got in to see my rheumatologist all symptoms had receded except the deltoid pain. I was tapered off prednisone but then represcribed for a flareup a couple of times that was mostly deltoid pain. My doctor made the glib comment that “low dose prednisone was the new aspirin” which I wrongly took to mean it was harmless. I stayed on 5mg for several years. Upon moving to a new state in 2021 the rheumatologist here began reducing my prednisone immediately till I got to 2 mg/day where I have stayed. He says he will not be able to get me off it. I began getting calcium deposits in both hands at about 3 mg prednisone and pain and weakness in both wrists which is severe at times, particularly at night. He prescribed colchicine 3mg, currently at 6mg BID. It at first helped a little but doesn’t seem to be helping now. Does anyone have a similar experience or done anything for this wrist pain that worked? Thanks for any input.

Jump to this post

When I was first diagnosed with PMR, I also had pain caused from gout in my right ankle and was given colchicine and it got rid of the pain caused by the uric acid and inflammation from gout.

@bunnybear

Jump to this post

Colchicine is often used for the treatment of gout.

https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-8640-20/colchicine-oral/colchicine-oral/details#:~:text=Colchicine%20works%20by%20decreasing%20swelling,disease%20(familial%20Mediterranean%20fever).

I was treated with colchicine but I had a high uric acid level along with multiple kidney stones composed of 80% uric acid. I also had a long history of PMR and a longer history of a type of inflammatory arthritis diagnosed 20 years before PMR was diagnosed.

My symptoms of "gout" were inconclusive mostly because I had "pain all over" after PMR was diagnosed. My rheumatologist thought my my high uric acid levels were "contributing" to my overall symptoms of "pain everywhere."

The other suggestion was that long term prednisone use was causing metabolic disorders and hormone imbalances so that "everything was out of whack."

@bunnybear

Jump to this post

There are many opinions on whether or not "low dose" prednisone is safe to use on a long term basis. Whether or not taking prednisone forever is necessitated for the treatment of you original symptoms is debatable. You could have ongoing symptoms of PMR or something else entirely.

What does happen with long term prednisone use is adrenal insufficiency which can become permanent. When your body lacks the ability to produce adequate supplies of cortisol, all kinds of symptoms start to develop. In the best case scenario, you will regain adrenal function and eventually get off prednisone. The adrenals have a "reserve capacity" to function even if they may not function at 100%.

This problem is also an age related phenomenon. It is sometimes referred to as senescence.
https://www.cellsignal.com/science-resources/overview-of-cellular-senescence#:~:text=Aging%20is%20a%20progressive%20decline,well%20as%20during%20wound%20healing.

@johnbishop

Hello @loujc, Welcome to Connect. I've had 2 occurrences of PMR with the first lasting 3 and half years until I was able to taper off of prednisone. I started with 20 mg prednisone for both occurrences. I struggled more with tapering with my first go around with PMR. The second time was a little easier because I changed my eating habits, gave up processed foods, cut way back on sugar and focused on eliminating as much inflammatory food items as I could. I also added a little more exercise and stretching to my morning routine but nothing strenuous. I think this helped my to taper off of prednisone in 1 and half years the second around. I've been in remission now almost 5 years.

How is your tapering going? Do you keep a daily log of your dose and level of pain in the morning when you wake up?

Jump to this post

Hello All, I posted on this chat site one time (May 31st) and you may or may not care to review that post to appreciate this follow-up after 28 days. I postponed my second posting because I was conducting a sort of clinical experiment on myself and did not want to report premature misinformation.
After my "first" acute PMR episode in mid-May, I immediately started 40mg of pred with a planned 3 to 4 week taper depending on response. My initial response to the steroid was immediate (within 24 hr.) pain relief. Within a week of my first symptoms, I had blood work done that showed dramatically elevated CRP and IL-6 (normal sed Westergren sed rate). The one surprising finding was a positive urine analysis (positive for Klebsiella pneumoniae), a UTI which responded to a 10 day course of Amoxicillin/Clavulanic (Augmentin). I have a chronic bladder dysfunction and thus, reoccurring UTIs. But in retrospect, I realize that I had been nursing a subacute, mildly symptomatic, untreated UTI (cloudy, frequent urination) for an extended period. I share this clinical history because my classic PMR presentation (clinical and lab confirmed) has resolved completely (no steroids for 2 weeks now) and pain free. I think the immune system in older patients (>60 ?) can respond to infection with a "pseudo PMR" or a "PMR-like" attack which seems to resolve with a short course of tapered steroids and aggressive anti-infective therapy. with any signs of acute, subacute or chronic infection.
I strongly urge people to consider infection (acute, subacute or chronic) as a potential trigger for "PMR-like," reversible reactions.
Good luck to all

@loujc

Hello All, I posted on this chat site one time (May 31st) and you may or may not care to review that post to appreciate this follow-up after 28 days. I postponed my second posting because I was conducting a sort of clinical experiment on myself and did not want to report premature misinformation.
After my "first" acute PMR episode in mid-May, I immediately started 40mg of pred with a planned 3 to 4 week taper depending on response. My initial response to the steroid was immediate (within 24 hr.) pain relief. Within a week of my first symptoms, I had blood work done that showed dramatically elevated CRP and IL-6 (normal sed Westergren sed rate). The one surprising finding was a positive urine analysis (positive for Klebsiella pneumoniae), a UTI which responded to a 10 day course of Amoxicillin/Clavulanic (Augmentin). I have a chronic bladder dysfunction and thus, reoccurring UTIs. But in retrospect, I realize that I had been nursing a subacute, mildly symptomatic, untreated UTI (cloudy, frequent urination) for an extended period. I share this clinical history because my classic PMR presentation (clinical and lab confirmed) has resolved completely (no steroids for 2 weeks now) and pain free. I think the immune system in older patients (>60 ?) can respond to infection with a "pseudo PMR" or a "PMR-like" attack which seems to resolve with a short course of tapered steroids and aggressive anti-infective therapy. with any signs of acute, subacute or chronic infection.
I strongly urge people to consider infection (acute, subacute or chronic) as a potential trigger for "PMR-like," reversible reactions.
Good luck to all

Jump to this post

This is very important information! Many types of autoimmune flares respond with a burst of high dose of prednisone followed by a fast taper. In my case PMR didn't respond this way but just because people are diagnosed with PMR doesn't mean that long term prednisone is always necessary.

I would say the longer you take prednisone, slowly tapering off prednisone is necessary and in fact safer regardless of whether the problem is ongoing PMR or not.

Often times an infection becomes chronic and you may not even be aware that you have an infection. Even a treated infection can leave debris deposited in various places that can cause an immune response or "flare."

I was diagnosed with "reactive arthritis" long before PMR was diagnosed. Reactive arthritis derives its name from a reaction to an infection. It too is often treated with antibiotics and prednisone. However, the reaction to the infection often happens weeks or month after the infection is "gone."

Hi ,i am new on this mayoclinic blog,find it intersting.Like to share some Inf for Polly Myalgia.I was first diagnosed over ten Years ago,had all the Problems with Pain as other mentioned.Once i was diagnosed,i started with a high Number and i am now down to 5mg a Day.Also Hydroxychlotoquine 200 g was added some Time ago.It is described for Maleriabut helps to keep Infections down.I see my Reuma Doctor every three Month and have my Blood checked One thing i noticed and was not mentioned was Side Effects from taking Prednison.It may not agree with other Meds your taking,that includes over the Counter Vitamins .Hope this will help sombody with the same Problems

Please sign in or register to post a reply.