Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR): Meet others & Share Your Story

Welcome to the Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR) group on Mayo Clinic Connect.

Meet other members who are dealing with PMR. Let’s learn from each other and share stories about living well with PMR, coping with the challenges and offering tips.We look forward to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.

Grab a cup of coffee or beverage of choice and let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What's your experience with PMR? How are you doing today?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR) Support Group.

@mnmom1

Hi,
I have been dealing with PMR for a while. Started on Prednisone 15 mg last July after figuring out the diagnosis of PMR. I am tapering off the prednisone as the side effects are causing me more issues than the PMR at this point. (Sleeplessness, crabbiness, wt gain if I don’t watch my weight, high blood sugar if I don’t watch my diet, those types of things) The prednisone has helped but time to get off if it. I started at 15mg and am down to 7 mg now tapering down 1mg per month. Tapering more than that can cause other issues so you must taper SLOWLY and under a Drs care.

I am finding high sugar in my diet seems to exacerbate the PMR symptoms, walking and arm exercises helps me with the stiffness. It’s a fine line though, if I exercise or do too much, then I pay the next day.

I find PMR to be frustrating at times, but I am progressing forward with the taper, watching my sugar intake, figuring out HOW MUCH activity I can tolerate and WHAT activity I can tolerate. Right now I do about 30 minutes a day, of walking and arm exercises depending upon the day. If I have too much stiffness to walk very far one day, then I make up the time by doing arm exercises while sitting, which helps the shoulder stiffness. I still do my housework, grocery shopping, etc even if painful to stay as active as possible.

Because PMR is an inflammatory process, I found out the hard way that I need to be careful with repetitive activity as I developed a bursitis of my hip from too much gardening. Again I had to figure out HOW MUCH and WHAT type of activity I can do. Keeping my sugar intake down along with eating fruits and vegetables helps too.

This is a long term challenge but I hope what I have figured out and pass along to you will help.

Please discuss any diet, medication and exercise changes with your Dr. We are all different and what works well for one person may not work for another. Keeping track of pain is a plus too.

Jump to this post

I started an anti-inflammatory diet as soon as I was diagnosed --it's not all that different from my usual diet, which is close to the Mediterranean diet that's popular now, except to cut out red meat as much as possible and other foods on the high inflammatory list, and a lot more fruit and vegetables. They even suggest this on the Kevzara website. Whether or not it helps, it can't hurt to try to keep down inflammation and at the very least in that way support the drug regime.

@paulagcl

I am new to PMR. I am on 9 mg of prednisone and Kevzara, which my dr hopes will help to get me off prednisone. I am pain free with this regime so far but of course am worried about side effects of the drugs, and also adjusting emotionally to having this change in my life -- I'm 85 and it is the first condition I've ever been diagnosed with, so I realize I'm very lucky.

Jump to this post

Thanks for the hug, Sandi! That goes a long way!

@bren2023

I have been taking 15 mg prednisone for a week and I am very dizzy most of the day. I wonder if it is from the prednisone or the PMR. I'm not sure it is working either tho I don't hurt as bad but still hurting.

Jump to this post

Could be the prednisone. But best to ask your dr about it.

@paulagcl

I started an anti-inflammatory diet as soon as I was diagnosed --it's not all that different from my usual diet, which is close to the Mediterranean diet that's popular now, except to cut out red meat as much as possible and other foods on the high inflammatory list, and a lot more fruit and vegetables. They even suggest this on the Kevzara website. Whether or not it helps, it can't hurt to try to keep down inflammation and at the very least in that way support the drug regime.

Jump to this post

Yes, I think to eat foods that are less inflammatory like fruits and vegetables, low sugar and less red meat is helpful.

PMR is a very interesting disease process. Too bad I had to find out about it by having it.

It has been an experience that I hope I don’t have again once this episode is over with!

Yes, certainly not something we want to have on our
"I want to learn about this" list!

It's been about two months since I was diagnosed and finally it has hit on the emotional level, no matter what I tell myself. I realize the feelings are playing into general anxiety about aging and whatever lies ahead.

@paulagcl

It's been about two months since I was diagnosed and finally it has hit on the emotional level, no matter what I tell myself. I realize the feelings are playing into general anxiety about aging and whatever lies ahead.

Jump to this post

You are not alone @paulagcl. @jdiakiw summed it up pretty well in a discussion here - Getting Old: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/getting-old/. Lots of good discussions for us old timers in the Aging Well Support Group here: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/group/aging-well/

For the first time since starting prednisone and Kevzara four months ago I awakened with pain on one side, the side I was sleeping on. So I guess the PRM can get suddenly worse? I was feeling great on the meds, so that was deceptive. Depressing. I guesss now the reality of this illness is hitting. Depressing.

@mnmom1

Yes, I think to eat foods that are less inflammatory like fruits and vegetables, low sugar and less red meat is helpful.

PMR is a very interesting disease process. Too bad I had to find out about it by having it.

It has been an experience that I hope I don’t have again once this episode is over with!

Jump to this post

Well, I guess "interesting" is one word for it!!! I was doing fine and suddenly have awakened with pain on the side I was sleeping on -- I guess this is the PMR. It feels like a shock -- I guess I should have expected this. So this is it for the rest of my life?

@paulagcl

Well, I guess "interesting" is one word for it!!! I was doing fine and suddenly have awakened with pain on the side I was sleeping on -- I guess this is the PMR. It feels like a shock -- I guess I should have expected this. So this is it for the rest of my life?

Jump to this post

I'm not sure I would expect to have to live with the pain the rest of your life. There could be other factors at play. Although my PMR is in remission and have been off all treatments for the PMR for the past 5 years, I still have aches and pains from my degenerative arthritis. I'm a side sleeper also and normally sleep on my left side but have to keep switching back and forth during the night when I wake up with an ache on my side. I'd rather sleep on my left side which was always my normal but my arm falls asleep within 10 to 15 minutes so I go back to my right side.

I would give my rheumatologist a call just to check and make sure nothing else is going on. It's the pits when you wake up in pain so I'm hoping you find some answers

Please sign in or register to post a reply.