Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR): Meet others & Share Your Story

Welcome to the Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR) group on Mayo Clinic Connect.

Meet other members who are dealing with PMR. Let’s learn from each other and share stories about living well with PMR, coping with the challenges and offering tips.We look forward to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.

Grab a cup of coffee or beverage of choice and let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What's your experience with PMR? How are you doing today?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR) Support Group.

@dadcue

I think infections caused flares of something although I don't think the flares were always a PMR flare. I was diagnosed with "reactive arthritis" which derives its name from a reaction to an infection.

Prednisone would relieve these painful flares of reactive arthritis but I often received antibiotics in addition to prednisone. Antibiotics alone were never enough to stop the systemic inflammation. I also needed moderately high doses of prednisone and that would relieve the pain quickly. I tapered off prednisone in a one or two months after each flare of reactive arthritis.

I still have reactive arthritis. It isn't likely to ever "go away" or "burn out" like PMR is said to do. Reactive arthritis usually occurs at a younger age and I was diagnosed at the age of 32.

Twenty years later, at the age of 52, something different happened. My rheumatologist was confused by my symptoms which were entirely different than anything I had experienced before. I was diagnosed with PMR on top of reactive arthritis. I still needed 40 mg of prednisone to control the pain but I never could taper off prednisone for 12 years after that.

I had more frequent flares along with chronically elevated inflammation markers. The flares never did go into remission in spite of moderately high doses of prednisone. My rheumatologist thought prednisone and other immunosuppressive medications were putting me at risk for infections. Recurring infections aren't a good thing when you have reactive arthritis.

My rheumatologist said my primary diagnosis PMR which never did burn itself out until a biologic was tried. A biologic allowed me to taper off prednisone and now I don't have so many infections. As long as I don't have infections then reactive arthritis stays quiet.

Jump to this post

Have you experimented with any dietary changes?

I’ve been reading a lot of these posts. There are many people who are tapering that are in actemra or methotrexate. Is this the normal course of treatment for this disease? I’ve been on pred 15 mg since May 26 and am to taper to 12.5 later this week.

@vjs

I’ve been reading a lot of these posts. There are many people who are tapering that are in actemra or methotrexate. Is this the normal course of treatment for this disease? I’ve been on pred 15 mg since May 26 and am to taper to 12.5 later this week.

Jump to this post

Hi @vjs, When it comes to PMR I don't think there is a one size fits all normal treatment. My own experience having PMR twice was being started on 20 mg prednisone for both occurrences and directed by my rheumatologist to taper slowly and listen to my body for when and how much to taper. My first time took 3-1/2 years to taper off. The last six months was going back and forth between 1 mg and 1/2 mg until I could finally stop taking prednisone and not have morning pain at a level I considered too much. For me that pain level is between 1 and 2 and it usually went away after moving around some after waking up. Six years later the PMR came back and it took me 1-1/2 years to taper off. Of course I was a lot better with my lifestyle and eating habits the second time around which I think made a difference.

Do you keep a daily log of your pain level when you get up and your dosage of prednisone for the day? That really helped when deciding when I should or shouldn't taper and how much to taper down.

@johnbishop

Hi @vjs, When it comes to PMR I don't think there is a one size fits all normal treatment. My own experience having PMR twice was being started on 20 mg prednisone for both occurrences and directed by my rheumatologist to taper slowly and listen to my body for when and how much to taper. My first time took 3-1/2 years to taper off. The last six months was going back and forth between 1 mg and 1/2 mg until I could finally stop taking prednisone and not have morning pain at a level I considered too much. For me that pain level is between 1 and 2 and it usually went away after moving around some after waking up. Six years later the PMR came back and it took me 1-1/2 years to taper off. Of course I was a lot better with my lifestyle and eating habits the second time around which I think made a difference.

Do you keep a daily log of your pain level when you get up and your dosage of prednisone for the day? That really helped when deciding when I should or shouldn't taper and how much to taper down.

Jump to this post

Yes, PMR is individual… first time got off prednisone in 1.5 years…. But even with that “short” time it cost me….. glaucoma, hypertension, weight gain and a worsening of osteopenia. So round 2 with methotrexate. Takes a long time to see improvement but it gradually is getting there. Bottom line for me: if the pain is at or below 5/10 it is a good day for me and I’ll take it. Remember, PMR isn’t good, but frankly there are many other things far worse out there.

Hi, my name is Leslie and I have recently started on my PMR journey with bilateral upper arm, hip and leg pain. Although my blood results were normal, my rheumatologist gave me a one week high but tapering course of prednisone which immediately worked. My pain returned shortly after taking my last pill, so I was prescribed 6 mg of methylprednisolone and was pain free until a few days ago when I started to have extreme stiffness only in my legs in the mid afternoon and evenings. I have no pain or stiffness in the morning when I awaken so I’ve been experimenting with taking my prednisone in the early afternoon, but the stiffness in my legs continues to bother me about the same time no matter when I take my medication. I have an appointment with my rheumatologist at the end of June. I had open heart surgery last year and my cardiologist is not pleased with the addition of prednisone. Thank you for any advice or suggestions about my leg stiffness which is affecting my ability to walk.

@ellegeee

Hi, my name is Leslie and I have recently started on my PMR journey with bilateral upper arm, hip and leg pain. Although my blood results were normal, my rheumatologist gave me a one week high but tapering course of prednisone which immediately worked. My pain returned shortly after taking my last pill, so I was prescribed 6 mg of methylprednisolone and was pain free until a few days ago when I started to have extreme stiffness only in my legs in the mid afternoon and evenings. I have no pain or stiffness in the morning when I awaken so I’ve been experimenting with taking my prednisone in the early afternoon, but the stiffness in my legs continues to bother me about the same time no matter when I take my medication. I have an appointment with my rheumatologist at the end of June. I had open heart surgery last year and my cardiologist is not pleased with the addition of prednisone. Thank you for any advice or suggestions about my leg stiffness which is affecting my ability to walk.

Jump to this post

Hi Leslie @ellegeee, Welcome to Connect. Both times my PMR was active I did have stiffness in the legs but it was mostly in the morning and I didn't normally have any associated pain with it. Then when the prednisone kicked in and I got to moving around the legs loosened up and felt better. I think it's good that you have an upcoming appointment with your rheumatologist.

It might be good to keep track of other symptoms you have during the day and note the times they occur so that you can discuss them at your upcoming appointment. Do you keep a daily log of your dosage and pain levels?

@douglwuoregonedu

I associate stress with my initial experience with PMR. But I have to ask, is there any correlation of your flareups with COVID vaccinations?

Jump to this post

I had a leg flare up after the bivalent and the pt attributed to the vaccine… took1 month to feel better… but this was over a year begore being diagnosed with PMR… but convinced the vaccine was the start of the over active immune system as I also have hashimoto’s…

@douglwuoregonedu

I associate stress with my initial experience with PMR. But I have to ask, is there any correlation of your flareups with COVID vaccinations?

Jump to this post

I had no issues with the COVID vaccines other than feeling crummy for a few days. I had both Pfizer and Moderna. It wasn't until I actually caught COVID that I then flared. And now it seems my two flares since being diagnosed are related to catching "something" - both correlated with a stomach bug and some stress.

Hi folks - I'm Ted and I'm almost 81 years old - I have suffered from severe neuropathy in my feet for years now - I am also in permanent Atrial fibrillation - been able to get by OK - However, almost overnight I became a crippled old man - my neck, my shoulders and arms, my lower back, both of my hips and down to my knees all hurt me so bad I can hardly stand up, sit down, get in and out of bed - I can't remain in one position but for a few minutes and then the pain becomes almost unbearable - getting very little sleep - seems to get worse about 11pm and remains impossible until morning. I haven't been able to see my GP yet - next Tuesday. So I haven't been diagnosed yet but have been looking on the internet for answers and found out about PMR and it sure fits my symptoms - I'm just starting my journey with this malady - we'll see how it goes - glad to have found this forum!

Does PMR always have severe stiffness in shoulder and hips so that arms can't be raised above head and hip pain makes it hard to get out of bed? Could muscle pain in the neck, shoulders, arms, hips and upper thighs be PMR, along with achy shoulder joints? Do SED rate and C Reactive Protein tests have to be elevated to diagnose PMR? I was told I have Fibromyalgia, but also heard due to my age (72), it could be PMR? Any suggestions are welcome.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.