Congestive Heart Failure & Neuropathy

Posted by jillg @jillg, Jul 30, 2012

Looking for information on neuropathy and congestive heart failure. Hoping someone can lend and ear so to speak or has any information. I am having a hard time with my Dr.'s. Thank jillg

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Heart & Blood Health Support Group.

Jill, I'm in CHF now, 5 weeks after suffering my first heart attack and having 3 stents placed. I have severe neuropathy in the lower extremities - and although I was diabetic before the heart attack, I never had this type of neuropathy. What exactly are you suffering with?

@booperlaw50

Jill, I'm in CHF now, 5 weeks after suffering my first heart attack and having 3 stents placed. I have severe neuropathy in the lower extremities - and although I was diabetic before the heart attack, I never had this type of neuropathy. What exactly are you suffering with?

Jump to this post

Thanks for replying, and sorry to hear about your health problems. I have CHF, no heart attack yet. I want to stop from having one, my Dr's are treating me with medicine and a breathing machine at night. I can't sleep at night, not sure why. The neuropathy I have had for about 2 years, lots of pain. Gone through lots of drugs that worked for a while like Lyrcia, Cymbalta, Neurotin. I am still on neurotin 600mg 3 x's @ day, plus norco a pain med. Can't walk much or do any exercise, oh I do not have diabetes. What can I suggest to my Dr's about my chf I want to prevent a heart attack? Thank care Jill

@booperlaw50

Jump to this post

Well, my sister has been on 450 mgs of Lyrica a day and Cymbalta - no resolution. I don't have any advice for you on the CHF part except for exercise. That's my problem as well. With the recent heart attack, I've been told to walk as much as I can to build back my endurance - but the pain/neuralgias prevent that. It's a Catch-22, that's for sure! You didn't mention your age - but it seems like a nerve block would be helpful if your neuropathy was limited to one or the other extremity?? Don't know, just thinking aloud.

@booperlaw50

Jump to this post

Well, I am 56 the neuropathy is now "uncontrollable" and pretty much all over. Exercise is out of the question for me also. I am now on methadone for pain. I want to prevent what happened to you. a heart attack. I watch what I eat closely but my fluid retention is real bad, how is yours.

Have you checked with any other doctors beside the one your seeing. mite make a difference if they can do alot of tests to see which one you have.

i started having severe neuropathy in legs and feet AFTER i was diagnosed with congestive heart failure. I have tried everything - compression sox for legs and feet, elevation, supplements - it is getting worse by the hour. can't sleep, walk, stand - pain is constant but funny, no swelling. my heart doc wanted to give me gabapentin - he was pretty sure it would help - maybe ask your cardiologist about it - i could not take it because i take Vimpat (and others) for my epilepsy and was told to talk to my neurologist. doc told me my CHF damaged my nerves and i am scheduled for an ultrasound of my legs and feet but the damage may be permanent. my heart goes out to all sufferers of this horrible, painful issue.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.