Mysterious shortness of breath: What has helped you?

Posted by Gabe, Volunteer Mentor @gabrielm, May 31, 2018

I will try to make this as short as possible, but this has been going on for over 5 years, so it might be farily long. 

Beginning in summer of 2012, I began having shortness of breath (SOB) with no other symptoms. I felt a constant need to yawn, and every few breaths wouldn't satisfy the SOB. I would take a deep breath, and felt like it would get "stuck" before satisfying the air hunger feeling. About every 3-5 deep breaths would satisfy it, only for it to return a minute later. 

I got an endoscopy and other tests done, which revealed that I had some esophageal erosion due to acid reflux and a slight hiatal hernia and was diagnosed with GERD. I had always have bad heartburn, so I was prescribed with Prilosec, which I have been taking daily since them. I've tried stopping it a few times but the reflux always comes back a lot worse. 

Lung tests and x-rays were normal. Heart tests normal. Blood test revealed a slight anemia but otherwise pretty normal. 

I did some research reading forums where someone suggested taking vitamin B-12. Strangely, I took it and the SOB disappeared almost instantly. However, it only lasted a few days for it to return just as bad. I then started taking an iron supplement, which again made the SOB disappear quickly- same thing; symptom returned days later. 

After further research, I came across a breathing exercise method called the Buteyko method. Essentially you do a lot of breath holding to build up CO2 and reduce breathing as the theory is that I had chronic hyperventilation causing too much CO2 to exit my body. After applying the method and reducing my breathing, the SOB disappeared after only 2 days and I felt completely normal. I continued the method a few more days then no longer felt the need to pursue the exercises. I was normal for a whole year when the SOB once again returned with some chest tightness. I applied the method again and the symptom went away, this time with a little more effort; after about 3 weeks. I included physical exercise which also helped with my breathing. 

After that, I was normal for about 2 years. I mistakenly stopped or at least slowed down exercise and the SOB returned once again. I applied the method and began running for exercise but the SOB kept getting worse. It got so bad, I had multiple panic attacks and the feeling of completely empty lungs with the inability to satisfy it with deep breaths. I had to stop exercise altogether, apply the Buteyko method and do breathing exercises very carefully with very light and slow exercise. This helped, but it took many weeks for the SOB to improve. Then, it was almost normal when over a year ago as I was running, I couldn't get a deep breath to satisfy exercise-induced SOB. I have had SOB continuously since then (a year and a half). 

I once again started doing breathing exercises and slowly building up physical exercise, but I can't do any prolonged cardio activity because the SOB gets to a point where deep breathing will not satisfy it. While the breathing exercises have helped, they have had very little effect compared to previous efforts. It seems that every time the symptom returned, greater effort yields few results.

I suspect there is something, some underlying cause that is causing the SOB that has alluded me this entire time. 

So for the past few months to a year, the SOB is worse on some days, better on others, but never gone. There's no rhyme or reason or pattern for it. It's just there, sometimes affecting my sleep. I sometimes can't get a deep breath to satisfy it every now and then, but for the most part, a big gulp of air will satisfy it. But it returns seconds to minutes later. It's as though every breath doesn't deliver what it's supposed to, the SOB builds up, and then I have to take a big gulp of air to get rid of the feeling, pattern repeats. My breathing pattern is normal, however. I don't feel like anything physical is happening, but sometimes it feels like my airways and nostrils are slightly inflamed due to allergies, but when I don't feel inflammation the SOB is still there. 

Recent lung function tests show normal- I don't have asthma, or any other problems with my lungs. Heart tests are normal though I did have about a two week bout of heart palpitations which came and went. Haven't had any for a while- it just mysteriously started happening then stopped. Blood tests are normal, though tests always show a slight elevation of biliruben which my doc thinks is Gilbert's disease. 

I don't have sleep apnea (normal test), bloody oxygenation is normal, heart rate normal. 

I recently saw local naturopath (since mainstream docs aren't able to help) who immediately suspected a liver problem when I described my SOB, possibly liver inflammation. He used an electrodermal testing machine to test his theory which did seem to show a problem with my liver and gallbladder. He gave me digestive enzymes and a gallbladder formula to help clear a bile duct clog, thus reducing liver inflammation. He also determined with the machine that I have an egg sensitivity so I've been avoiding eggs. 

Been taking this and avoiding eggs for a couple of months, but there has been no noticeable improvement. Everything else is normal. Emotionally I'm normal- no anxiety, depression, etc. The SOB seems to be the only symptom of something, but always comes back worse, until a year and half ago when it came back and has remained since. I feel like I shouldn't have to do breath holding exercises every day just to maintain my breathing well enough to do every day things. 

Does anyone have any idea of a possible underlying cause?

2021/2022 UPDATE:
Since my original post about 3-1/2 years ago, a lot has happened, so I’d like to update the post to share with others who come across this what I’ve done since then.

I have maintained a weekly Buteyko method breathing exercise regimen where I do a few of these breathing exercises 3-4 times a week in the morning. This, in combination with daily light to moderate exercise (specifically weight lifting, with 1 or 2 days a week of walking and light jogging), I feel has kept the air hunger symptoms tolerable and manageable. I have mostly good days with some not-so-good days, but doing a breathing exercise and knowing that it’ll get better again helps me get through those times.

I also have sinus inflammation which can exacerbate the symptoms, but I’ve also managed this, which in turn reduces the severity of the air hunger symptoms.

So, while I haven’t found a cure nor is the problem completely gone, I have been able to maintain normalcy in daily life and manage the symptoms through the strategies I described.

This discussion remains active, alive and well through the comments section where others who have similar symptoms have shared what has helped them as well as suggestions for possible solutions to explore.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Lung Health Support Group.

Thank you 🙏 this lets me know I’m not alone. I thought I was the only one that had this problem

@gabrielm

Hi @leelou03. This is definitely a good thread to learn some information on the air hunger/SOB. Have you gotten many medical tests done to rule out other possibilities?

There are a lot of pages of comments, but would be worthwhile to skim through what you can and learn about similarities you have with others and what they've done to manage the symptoms.

Jump to this post

See also: pseudo-dyspnea, particularly if your symptoms seem opposite of what would seem normal, ie: SOB when resting and not during activity.

@alexx12

I’m going through the exact same problem right now; it’s been going on for a month, I’ve had to stop mma training and I can barely keep up with my class, I was able to do 3x3 minute rounds before fine, now I can barely do the warmup, doctors done xray and blood test, checked vitals etc. everything is fine. I genuinely don’t know what to do my life was going really good then this happened for some unknown reason, it’s made me depressed tbh I don’t know what to do.

Jump to this post

Hi @alexx12, definitely seems mysterious that it came on so suddenly. During the vitals check was your bloody oxygen normal, and have you gotten tested for regular asthma or sports-induced asthma? I know sometimes breathing difficulties can occur due to these.

@mandiebee86

I am expierencing this too along with the panic attacks from my lungs feeling empty. I am so scared. Docs cant find anything wrong me. This happened to me before years ago but not to the severity of this time. I’m praying it goes away soon. I am going to try the things you mentioned. Thank you

Jump to this post

@mandiebee86, I'm sorry you're experiencing this. I know the feeling of being scared. Having finally gotten it under control (mostly) it definitely can get better so I hope I can encourage you to keep up hope.

Let me know if you have any questions on any breathing exercises or other methods of symptom management. In the meantime, have you gotten checked out by a doctor yet?

Hi,
I realize this is an old thread. I've had the same symptoms. Curious if you ever solved the problem 100%. Thanks,

@sab53

Hi,
I realize this is an old thread. I've had the same symptoms. Curious if you ever solved the problem 100%. Thanks,

Jump to this post

Hi @sab53, while it's not 100% resolved, symptoms are very mild and manageable through continued Buteyko breathing exercises, weight lifting, daily walking with nasal breathing, and a better diet. It's take a while to get here, but I am able to do 98% of things I've always done. The things I'm not able to do are really intense exercise, or long hikes in mountains. Other than that, I can lead a normal life without much symptoms.

How long have you had your symptoms and is it just the air hunger or do you deal with other issues as well?

@gabrielm

@mandiebee86, I'm sorry you're experiencing this. I know the feeling of being scared. Having finally gotten it under control (mostly) it definitely can get better so I hope I can encourage you to keep up hope.

Let me know if you have any questions on any breathing exercises or other methods of symptom management. In the meantime, have you gotten checked out by a doctor yet?

Jump to this post

Thank you. Yes I have gotten checked out by a doctor. I went to 2 different Emergency Rooms in one week and they found nothing wrong. They told me they think it’s anxiety. I tried some breathing excercises that helped quite a bit then I ran 2 miles. Running really helped a lot for 2 days and now it’s back again 😔 I’m doing some breathing excercises now and am struggling but not as bad. I plan to go for another run and go to the gym in the morning. I pray it helps me again.I am doing the butekyo breathing and box breathing as well.

@gabrielm

Hi @sab53, while it's not 100% resolved, symptoms are very mild and manageable through continued Buteyko breathing exercises, weight lifting, daily walking with nasal breathing, and a better diet. It's take a while to get here, but I am able to do 98% of things I've always done. The things I'm not able to do are really intense exercise, or long hikes in mountains. Other than that, I can lead a normal life without much symptoms.

How long have you had your symptoms and is it just the air hunger or do you deal with other issues as well?

Jump to this post

Hi Gabe,
Thanks for the quick response.
I'm happy to hear you're doing better.
The symptoms started 2 years ago but got worse after I had covid last year. Did pulmonary function tests, thoracic ultrasound, X-ray and heart tests, including under effort. Everything is normal. I do developed gastric reflux recently, though. I know it may be one of the culprits. I'm taking PPIs, they improved breathing symptoms a little.
My main issue is that I cannot take a full, satisfactory breath very often. Only once in a while. Whether I'm active or at rest doesn't change symptoms much but sometimes they get worse if I exercise. Some days are better overall, some are worse. When I read your post, it seemed written by me 🙂
I'll try the Buteyko breathing, never tried before. Thanks again for your help. I'll let you know if I notice any improvements!

@mandiebee86

Thank you. Yes I have gotten checked out by a doctor. I went to 2 different Emergency Rooms in one week and they found nothing wrong. They told me they think it’s anxiety. I tried some breathing excercises that helped quite a bit then I ran 2 miles. Running really helped a lot for 2 days and now it’s back again 😔 I’m doing some breathing excercises now and am struggling but not as bad. I plan to go for another run and go to the gym in the morning. I pray it helps me again.I am doing the butekyo breathing and box breathing as well.

Jump to this post

Let me know how you do with the breathing exercises. Your situation sounds very similar to mine. I also went to ERs and they found nothing. I also did some running until one day I ran too hard and it really damaged my breathing. I would suggest you do milder jogs if you can and only do nasal breathing during the run. It's helped me to not overbreathe.

@sab53

Hi Gabe,
Thanks for the quick response.
I'm happy to hear you're doing better.
The symptoms started 2 years ago but got worse after I had covid last year. Did pulmonary function tests, thoracic ultrasound, X-ray and heart tests, including under effort. Everything is normal. I do developed gastric reflux recently, though. I know it may be one of the culprits. I'm taking PPIs, they improved breathing symptoms a little.
My main issue is that I cannot take a full, satisfactory breath very often. Only once in a while. Whether I'm active or at rest doesn't change symptoms much but sometimes they get worse if I exercise. Some days are better overall, some are worse. When I read your post, it seemed written by me 🙂
I'll try the Buteyko breathing, never tried before. Thanks again for your help. I'll let you know if I notice any improvements!

Jump to this post

Yes please do let me know how you improve. Let me know if you have any questions on the Buteyko method. I'll tell you that what helped me improve right away was implementing Buteyko all throughout my day, every day; only nasal breathing, refraining from taking deep breaths as much as possible, doing breathing exercises 2-3 X a day, mild weight lifting while nasal breathing, taping my mouth shut at night when sleeping, eating smaller meals, etc. All this made symptoms pretty much go away in the beginning almost entirely. It was about a year later air hunger returned since I had let up on the exercise and hadn't done Butyeko breathing exercises but when I implemented Buteyko again, the symptoms went away.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.