Mysterious shortness of breath: What has helped you?

Posted by Gabe, Volunteer Mentor @gabrielm, May 31, 2018

I will try to make this as short as possible, but this has been going on for over 5 years, so it might be farily long. 

Beginning in summer of 2012, I began having shortness of breath (SOB) with no other symptoms. I felt a constant need to yawn, and every few breaths wouldn't satisfy the SOB. I would take a deep breath, and felt like it would get "stuck" before satisfying the air hunger feeling. About every 3-5 deep breaths would satisfy it, only for it to return a minute later. 

I got an endoscopy and other tests done, which revealed that I had some esophageal erosion due to acid reflux and a slight hiatal hernia and was diagnosed with GERD. I had always have bad heartburn, so I was prescribed with Prilosec, which I have been taking daily since them. I've tried stopping it a few times but the reflux always comes back a lot worse. 

Lung tests and x-rays were normal. Heart tests normal. Blood test revealed a slight anemia but otherwise pretty normal. 

I did some research reading forums where someone suggested taking vitamin B-12. Strangely, I took it and the SOB disappeared almost instantly. However, it only lasted a few days for it to return just as bad. I then started taking an iron supplement, which again made the SOB disappear quickly- same thing; symptom returned days later. 

After further research, I came across a breathing exercise method called the Buteyko method. Essentially you do a lot of breath holding to build up CO2 and reduce breathing as the theory is that I had chronic hyperventilation causing too much CO2 to exit my body. After applying the method and reducing my breathing, the SOB disappeared after only 2 days and I felt completely normal. I continued the method a few more days then no longer felt the need to pursue the exercises. I was normal for a whole year when the SOB once again returned with some chest tightness. I applied the method again and the symptom went away, this time with a little more effort; after about 3 weeks. I included physical exercise which also helped with my breathing. 

After that, I was normal for about 2 years. I mistakenly stopped or at least slowed down exercise and the SOB returned once again. I applied the method and began running for exercise but the SOB kept getting worse. It got so bad, I had multiple panic attacks and the feeling of completely empty lungs with the inability to satisfy it with deep breaths. I had to stop exercise altogether, apply the Buteyko method and do breathing exercises very carefully with very light and slow exercise. This helped, but it took many weeks for the SOB to improve. Then, it was almost normal when over a year ago as I was running, I couldn't get a deep breath to satisfy exercise-induced SOB. I have had SOB continuously since then (a year and a half). 

I once again started doing breathing exercises and slowly building up physical exercise, but I can't do any prolonged cardio activity because the SOB gets to a point where deep breathing will not satisfy it. While the breathing exercises have helped, they have had very little effect compared to previous efforts. It seems that every time the symptom returned, greater effort yields few results.

I suspect there is something, some underlying cause that is causing the SOB that has alluded me this entire time. 

So for the past few months to a year, the SOB is worse on some days, better on others, but never gone. There's no rhyme or reason or pattern for it. It's just there, sometimes affecting my sleep. I sometimes can't get a deep breath to satisfy it every now and then, but for the most part, a big gulp of air will satisfy it. But it returns seconds to minutes later. It's as though every breath doesn't deliver what it's supposed to, the SOB builds up, and then I have to take a big gulp of air to get rid of the feeling, pattern repeats. My breathing pattern is normal, however. I don't feel like anything physical is happening, but sometimes it feels like my airways and nostrils are slightly inflamed due to allergies, but when I don't feel inflammation the SOB is still there. 

Recent lung function tests show normal- I don't have asthma, or any other problems with my lungs. Heart tests are normal though I did have about a two week bout of heart palpitations which came and went. Haven't had any for a while- it just mysteriously started happening then stopped. Blood tests are normal, though tests always show a slight elevation of biliruben which my doc thinks is Gilbert's disease. 

I don't have sleep apnea (normal test), bloody oxygenation is normal, heart rate normal. 

I recently saw local naturopath (since mainstream docs aren't able to help) who immediately suspected a liver problem when I described my SOB, possibly liver inflammation. He used an electrodermal testing machine to test his theory which did seem to show a problem with my liver and gallbladder. He gave me digestive enzymes and a gallbladder formula to help clear a bile duct clog, thus reducing liver inflammation. He also determined with the machine that I have an egg sensitivity so I've been avoiding eggs. 

Been taking this and avoiding eggs for a couple of months, but there has been no noticeable improvement. Everything else is normal. Emotionally I'm normal- no anxiety, depression, etc. The SOB seems to be the only symptom of something, but always comes back worse, until a year and half ago when it came back and has remained since. I feel like I shouldn't have to do breath holding exercises every day just to maintain my breathing well enough to do every day things. 

Does anyone have any idea of a possible underlying cause?

2021/2022 UPDATE:
Since my original post about 3-1/2 years ago, a lot has happened, so I’d like to update the post to share with others who come across this what I’ve done since then.

I have maintained a weekly Buteyko method breathing exercise regimen where I do a few of these breathing exercises 3-4 times a week in the morning. This, in combination with daily light to moderate exercise (specifically weight lifting, with 1 or 2 days a week of walking and light jogging), I feel has kept the air hunger symptoms tolerable and manageable. I have mostly good days with some not-so-good days, but doing a breathing exercise and knowing that it’ll get better again helps me get through those times.

I also have sinus inflammation which can exacerbate the symptoms, but I’ve also managed this, which in turn reduces the severity of the air hunger symptoms.

So, while I haven’t found a cure nor is the problem completely gone, I have been able to maintain normalcy in daily life and manage the symptoms through the strategies I described.

This discussion remains active, alive and well through the comments section where others who have similar symptoms have shared what has helped them as well as suggestions for possible solutions to explore.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Lung Health Support Group.

I'm not sure if anyone still checks this post. this is hard for me. i'm gonna sound like i'm making this up or over-reacting to this. let me start at the beginning.. i've always been a high level athlete. i wrestled from the age of 8 til i was in my early 30's. also picked up Brazilian Jui Jitsu. i developed panic disorder hen i as around 30. i had never had a panic attack so i didnt even know hat it was. it turned my life upside down. i dont drink but after being put on some anti depressant and benzo i started smoking to calm my nerves. that lasted about 8 years before i stopped and realized i cant be smoking, not a part of me (i'm getting to my lung issues) still on a few psych meds at this point i started really getting into lifting. powerlifting and body building some anobolic steroid cycles but nothing excessive. i still go to the gym 5 days a week at 51. a number of years ago i noticed sometimes (not often) after a really taxing lift (deadlift, squats, etc) i ould have a feeling of not being able to get a full breath in. it wasnt that often and usually after a minute or so i ould get it and be fine but i definately would feel extreme anxiety while this occured. i dont remember when this started but im guessing about 5 years ago. 3 years ago i had a cardiac arrest. took about an hour to get a pulse, had chest compressions the hole time fortunatly. as in an induced coma for about 12 days and another 5 or 6 days recovering. i dont think i fully recovered though. took so much depression, anxiety and some memory loss with me. life goes on. over the next couple years my depression and anxiety stayed super strong. as on 5 psyche meds at a time, 3 heart meds and weekly TRT. So at the beginning of last October i woke up with that seem feeling i would have at the gym. for the 1st to days it wouldnt go away. fighting to get that deeper breath. needing a big yawn to get it. i called the advise nurse and she advised i go to ER. well they were just focusing on heart issues and gave me every antacid known to human kind (lidocaine cocktail is such a pleasant treat) took a chest xray and had me puff a lot of albuterol (albuterol gives me zero relief). told me to follow up with my primary. primary just said stop drinking caffeine (got a new primary real quick) went and saw an allergist. did breathing test and ordered a chest ct scan. put me on flovent inhaler. still not getting better. i made an appt with a pulmonary doctor but he just looked at the radiologist report of the ct scan which stated only mild inflamation and the breathing test which as normal. i asked him wwhat do we do next. he stated there ere no more tests he could order and said i should talk with my cardiologist (which wouldnt be for another 2 months (its about 2 weeks out) i have an appt with another pulminary doctor in april for a 2nd opinion. trying to get help through the medical system is near impossible. oh ive been taking anoro ellipta instead of flovent for 2 months even though everyone says i dont have copd. most days i think between my deppression, anxiety and now this whats the point of going on. i wish i had a happy ending to this but i'm not there yet. i guess it is just cathartic to write this. i'll update after the cardiologist appt.

@meattruck

I'm not sure if anyone still checks this post. this is hard for me. i'm gonna sound like i'm making this up or over-reacting to this. let me start at the beginning.. i've always been a high level athlete. i wrestled from the age of 8 til i was in my early 30's. also picked up Brazilian Jui Jitsu. i developed panic disorder hen i as around 30. i had never had a panic attack so i didnt even know hat it was. it turned my life upside down. i dont drink but after being put on some anti depressant and benzo i started smoking to calm my nerves. that lasted about 8 years before i stopped and realized i cant be smoking, not a part of me (i'm getting to my lung issues) still on a few psych meds at this point i started really getting into lifting. powerlifting and body building some anobolic steroid cycles but nothing excessive. i still go to the gym 5 days a week at 51. a number of years ago i noticed sometimes (not often) after a really taxing lift (deadlift, squats, etc) i ould have a feeling of not being able to get a full breath in. it wasnt that often and usually after a minute or so i ould get it and be fine but i definately would feel extreme anxiety while this occured. i dont remember when this started but im guessing about 5 years ago. 3 years ago i had a cardiac arrest. took about an hour to get a pulse, had chest compressions the hole time fortunatly. as in an induced coma for about 12 days and another 5 or 6 days recovering. i dont think i fully recovered though. took so much depression, anxiety and some memory loss with me. life goes on. over the next couple years my depression and anxiety stayed super strong. as on 5 psyche meds at a time, 3 heart meds and weekly TRT. So at the beginning of last October i woke up with that seem feeling i would have at the gym. for the 1st to days it wouldnt go away. fighting to get that deeper breath. needing a big yawn to get it. i called the advise nurse and she advised i go to ER. well they were just focusing on heart issues and gave me every antacid known to human kind (lidocaine cocktail is such a pleasant treat) took a chest xray and had me puff a lot of albuterol (albuterol gives me zero relief). told me to follow up with my primary. primary just said stop drinking caffeine (got a new primary real quick) went and saw an allergist. did breathing test and ordered a chest ct scan. put me on flovent inhaler. still not getting better. i made an appt with a pulmonary doctor but he just looked at the radiologist report of the ct scan which stated only mild inflamation and the breathing test which as normal. i asked him wwhat do we do next. he stated there ere no more tests he could order and said i should talk with my cardiologist (which wouldnt be for another 2 months (its about 2 weeks out) i have an appt with another pulminary doctor in april for a 2nd opinion. trying to get help through the medical system is near impossible. oh ive been taking anoro ellipta instead of flovent for 2 months even though everyone says i dont have copd. most days i think between my deppression, anxiety and now this whats the point of going on. i wish i had a happy ending to this but i'm not there yet. i guess it is just cathartic to write this. i'll update after the cardiologist appt.

Jump to this post

Be sure to have an x-ray of your spine as I had a herniated disc and had a breathing problem.

@meattruck

Jump to this post

Heart issues can definitely bring on the shortness of breath AND so can asthma. I think you are wise to go to a Pulmonologist. They will probably do a Pulmonary Function test on you to see how your lung capacity is and an CT scan of your lungs if you haven't already had one.

Praying for you to get some relief. I'm sorry you are battling all of this. God Bless You.

@meattruck

Jump to this post

I have a couple of thoughts based on my own experience. I have lung and heart problems and recently started having symptoms that no one could identify. My chest would tighten, and I would get very short of breathe. I just found out that is anxiety because of pulmonary hypertension. I hope that you are able to find out the root of the problem.

@meattruck

Jump to this post

Hi @meattruck, I'm really sorry for what you're going through. I know how hard it can be with one thing after another. But if I can offer any word of encouragement, consider this a journey that you're in the middle of that you will find your way through. Depression, anxiety, and other mental issues can manifest themselves in a variety of ways especially symptoms of the heart and breathing.

Have you dealt with the panic and anxiety directly? Either through medication or breathing exercises? There are many ways to deal with the anxiety and depression, which I highly recommend first getting under control. I think once you do, you will find your outlook improving with a sense of strong hope that will help you through everything.

Look up in-person or online Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, which is a way of overcoming anxiety and depression through various mental exercises and slowly shifting your though patterns and processes to enable your state of mind to improve even in the midst of challenging times. From there, it is a snowball effect where you might find your physical symptoms going away. You can pursue this and other avenues such as breath control and breathing techniques to help calm the mind and manage your symptoms in parallel to what your doctors are helping you with.

@gabrielm

Hi @meattruck, I'm really sorry for what you're going through. I know how hard it can be with one thing after another. But if I can offer any word of encouragement, consider this a journey that you're in the middle of that you will find your way through. Depression, anxiety, and other mental issues can manifest themselves in a variety of ways especially symptoms of the heart and breathing.

Have you dealt with the panic and anxiety directly? Either through medication or breathing exercises? There are many ways to deal with the anxiety and depression, which I highly recommend first getting under control. I think once you do, you will find your outlook improving with a sense of strong hope that will help you through everything.

Look up in-person or online Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, which is a way of overcoming anxiety and depression through various mental exercises and slowly shifting your though patterns and processes to enable your state of mind to improve even in the midst of challenging times. From there, it is a snowball effect where you might find your physical symptoms going away. You can pursue this and other avenues such as breath control and breathing techniques to help calm the mind and manage your symptoms in parallel to what your doctors are helping you with.

Jump to this post

i was doing some CBT about 10 years ago or so. not sure why i stopped but i will definitely get back into it. it really does help. i just dont understand this "air hunger" phenomenon. how it starts, what it's connected to. why some days are better than others, etc. i am trying to use all resources available. the cardiologist is my next step then a 2nd opinion from a pulmonary doctor

@meattruck

i was doing some CBT about 10 years ago or so. not sure why i stopped but i will definitely get back into it. it really does help. i just dont understand this "air hunger" phenomenon. how it starts, what it's connected to. why some days are better than others, etc. i am trying to use all resources available. the cardiologist is my next step then a 2nd opinion from a pulmonary doctor

Jump to this post

I hear you. It's a frustrating mystery that seems difficult to resolve through ordinary means. Let me know how it goes with the CBT if you're able to get back to doing that. It helped me a great deal especially when faced with certain events- I no longer deal with anxiety for those things that once caused anxiety for me.

Breathing exercises have also helped me cope with the air hunger as well as mild to moderate weight training. I feel the weight training and working my body and muscles helps with the flow of oxygen as well as staying in shape to improve the breathing over all. I never push myself very hard and what I've done for exercise I think has helped tremendously manage all my symptoms.

Let me know how your doctors visits go.

@gabrielm

I hear you. It's a frustrating mystery that seems difficult to resolve through ordinary means. Let me know how it goes with the CBT if you're able to get back to doing that. It helped me a great deal especially when faced with certain events- I no longer deal with anxiety for those things that once caused anxiety for me.

Breathing exercises have also helped me cope with the air hunger as well as mild to moderate weight training. I feel the weight training and working my body and muscles helps with the flow of oxygen as well as staying in shape to improve the breathing over all. I never push myself very hard and what I've done for exercise I think has helped tremendously manage all my symptoms.

Let me know how your doctors visits go.

Jump to this post

i did a bunch of mindfulness meditation/breathing as ell. definitely helps but i see it as a relief not a cure. my breathing or labored breathing has been a lil less intense this past week. like you i workout a lot. i dont feel it gets worse while lifting or doing cardio (like asthma). it's either extreme or mellow regardless. i do need to get my anxiety under control. im letting it rule me. even hen im breathing somewhat easier or my depression is lessened im still thinking about how long til everything flares up again. im the type that always has to know exactly whats going on. thats why i have an appt in 2 days with my psychiatrist (routine) and im gonna ask about all this. next week i see my new cardiologist and will be looking for whatever answers he can provide then next month i see my 2nd pulmonary doctor (the 1st one just totally had zero idea what to do). even if i don't get the answers im looking for im hoping to exhaust all possibilities of what it could be. ive been looking on line and come across some videos about different breathing techniques but i need to look in depth. the Buteyko method you mentioned, something called the Alexander method...im sure theres more. not sure what other avenues to explore if these dont pan out.

Interesting. Alot of looking for reasons. I'm having the same thing try to find a reason for my SOB. My gastro said it's not GERD, anti reflux. No one helping. I'll reread your story again and try the breathing
Thanks

@meattruck

i did a bunch of mindfulness meditation/breathing as ell. definitely helps but i see it as a relief not a cure. my breathing or labored breathing has been a lil less intense this past week. like you i workout a lot. i dont feel it gets worse while lifting or doing cardio (like asthma). it's either extreme or mellow regardless. i do need to get my anxiety under control. im letting it rule me. even hen im breathing somewhat easier or my depression is lessened im still thinking about how long til everything flares up again. im the type that always has to know exactly whats going on. thats why i have an appt in 2 days with my psychiatrist (routine) and im gonna ask about all this. next week i see my new cardiologist and will be looking for whatever answers he can provide then next month i see my 2nd pulmonary doctor (the 1st one just totally had zero idea what to do). even if i don't get the answers im looking for im hoping to exhaust all possibilities of what it could be. ive been looking on line and come across some videos about different breathing techniques but i need to look in depth. the Buteyko method you mentioned, something called the Alexander method...im sure theres more. not sure what other avenues to explore if these dont pan out.

Jump to this post

I hope you pursue remedies for your anxiety and depression. Even if you're well physically with no breathing problems, the anxiety and depression will still affect your life. In fact, if you search the word "anxiety" in the search bar atop this site, you'll find many discussions on the topic and how people are managing it. The breathing techniques (as well as CBT) takes time and effort and is part of a holistic approach to getting things under control.

I can relate on having to know what's going on. I work as an engineer so I've got to know how things work. And if I don't know what exactly is going on with my body, I at least have to have tools to deal with the symptoms as they come, and even before they come back and that gives me peace of mind.

Check back in on how your appointments go. Definitely good to know what health professional have to say about all this.

And I highly encourage you to deal with the anxiety and depression, but I'm sure your psychiatrist will recommend somethings for you to do to help out.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.