Mysterious shortness of breath: What has helped you?

Posted by Gabe, Volunteer Mentor @gabrielm, May 31, 2018

I will try to make this as short as possible, but this has been going on for over 5 years, so it might be farily long. 

Beginning in summer of 2012, I began having shortness of breath (SOB) with no other symptoms. I felt a constant need to yawn, and every few breaths wouldn't satisfy the SOB. I would take a deep breath, and felt like it would get "stuck" before satisfying the air hunger feeling. About every 3-5 deep breaths would satisfy it, only for it to return a minute later. 

I got an endoscopy and other tests done, which revealed that I had some esophageal erosion due to acid reflux and a slight hiatal hernia and was diagnosed with GERD. I had always have bad heartburn, so I was prescribed with Prilosec, which I have been taking daily since them. I've tried stopping it a few times but the reflux always comes back a lot worse. 

Lung tests and x-rays were normal. Heart tests normal. Blood test revealed a slight anemia but otherwise pretty normal. 

I did some research reading forums where someone suggested taking vitamin B-12. Strangely, I took it and the SOB disappeared almost instantly. However, it only lasted a few days for it to return just as bad. I then started taking an iron supplement, which again made the SOB disappear quickly- same thing; symptom returned days later. 

After further research, I came across a breathing exercise method called the Buteyko method. Essentially you do a lot of breath holding to build up CO2 and reduce breathing as the theory is that I had chronic hyperventilation causing too much CO2 to exit my body. After applying the method and reducing my breathing, the SOB disappeared after only 2 days and I felt completely normal. I continued the method a few more days then no longer felt the need to pursue the exercises. I was normal for a whole year when the SOB once again returned with some chest tightness. I applied the method again and the symptom went away, this time with a little more effort; after about 3 weeks. I included physical exercise which also helped with my breathing. 

After that, I was normal for about 2 years. I mistakenly stopped or at least slowed down exercise and the SOB returned once again. I applied the method and began running for exercise but the SOB kept getting worse. It got so bad, I had multiple panic attacks and the feeling of completely empty lungs with the inability to satisfy it with deep breaths. I had to stop exercise altogether, apply the Buteyko method and do breathing exercises very carefully with very light and slow exercise. This helped, but it took many weeks for the SOB to improve. Then, it was almost normal when over a year ago as I was running, I couldn't get a deep breath to satisfy exercise-induced SOB. I have had SOB continuously since then (a year and a half). 

I once again started doing breathing exercises and slowly building up physical exercise, but I can't do any prolonged cardio activity because the SOB gets to a point where deep breathing will not satisfy it. While the breathing exercises have helped, they have had very little effect compared to previous efforts. It seems that every time the symptom returned, greater effort yields few results.

I suspect there is something, some underlying cause that is causing the SOB that has alluded me this entire time. 

So for the past few months to a year, the SOB is worse on some days, better on others, but never gone. There's no rhyme or reason or pattern for it. It's just there, sometimes affecting my sleep. I sometimes can't get a deep breath to satisfy it every now and then, but for the most part, a big gulp of air will satisfy it. But it returns seconds to minutes later. It's as though every breath doesn't deliver what it's supposed to, the SOB builds up, and then I have to take a big gulp of air to get rid of the feeling, pattern repeats. My breathing pattern is normal, however. I don't feel like anything physical is happening, but sometimes it feels like my airways and nostrils are slightly inflamed due to allergies, but when I don't feel inflammation the SOB is still there. 

Recent lung function tests show normal- I don't have asthma, or any other problems with my lungs. Heart tests are normal though I did have about a two week bout of heart palpitations which came and went. Haven't had any for a while- it just mysteriously started happening then stopped. Blood tests are normal, though tests always show a slight elevation of biliruben which my doc thinks is Gilbert's disease. 

I don't have sleep apnea (normal test), bloody oxygenation is normal, heart rate normal. 

I recently saw local naturopath (since mainstream docs aren't able to help) who immediately suspected a liver problem when I described my SOB, possibly liver inflammation. He used an electrodermal testing machine to test his theory which did seem to show a problem with my liver and gallbladder. He gave me digestive enzymes and a gallbladder formula to help clear a bile duct clog, thus reducing liver inflammation. He also determined with the machine that I have an egg sensitivity so I've been avoiding eggs. 

Been taking this and avoiding eggs for a couple of months, but there has been no noticeable improvement. Everything else is normal. Emotionally I'm normal- no anxiety, depression, etc. The SOB seems to be the only symptom of something, but always comes back worse, until a year and half ago when it came back and has remained since. I feel like I shouldn't have to do breath holding exercises every day just to maintain my breathing well enough to do every day things. 

Does anyone have any idea of a possible underlying cause?

2021/2022 UPDATE:
Since my original post about 3-1/2 years ago, a lot has happened, so I’d like to update the post to share with others who come across this what I’ve done since then.

I have maintained a weekly Buteyko method breathing exercise regimen where I do a few of these breathing exercises 3-4 times a week in the morning. This, in combination with daily light to moderate exercise (specifically weight lifting, with 1 or 2 days a week of walking and light jogging), I feel has kept the air hunger symptoms tolerable and manageable. I have mostly good days with some not-so-good days, but doing a breathing exercise and knowing that it’ll get better again helps me get through those times.

I also have sinus inflammation which can exacerbate the symptoms, but I’ve also managed this, which in turn reduces the severity of the air hunger symptoms.

So, while I haven’t found a cure nor is the problem completely gone, I have been able to maintain normalcy in daily life and manage the symptoms through the strategies I described.

This discussion remains active, alive and well through the comments section where others who have similar symptoms have shared what has helped them as well as suggestions for possible solutions to explore.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Lung Health Support Group.

@thomason

@dcm8299, I am a 63-year-old woman, and had Covid twice--even after being vaccinated.
After the second bout, all the breathing symptoms you describe sound exactly like mine did.
I should add, that I went through radiation for throat cancer a few years prior, which did cause much mucus build-up. However, the breathing issue did not arise until after the Covid.
It took over one year, many doctors, all the usual pulmonary test, x-rays, (all normal) etc., before I received a scoping of the esophagus (in-office procedure). It was determined that my Vocal Cords are bilaterally paralyzed. My ability to eat, drink and speak are fine, but air could not get through properly, thus, the shortness of breath. I ended up with a Tracheotomy, which has greatly helped me. Also, Primetene Mist--the inhaler sold over-the-counter--was a miracle for me. Before the Tracheotomy, I would almost pass-out just bending over to pick something up off the ground. The Ephedrine in the inhaler is a God-send, and a must try. If the Pharmacist had not recommended that inhaler, I do believe I would have died. I hope you find out what is causing your shortness of breath.

Jump to this post

Thomason, thank you for sharing your experience. I’m glad to hear that you’ve found a way to resolve and manage those problems. COVID seems to be wreaking havoc on the human population. Was it ever claimed whether or not the paralysis was due to the past tracheotomy or the virus?!? Any other symptoms that would indicate some sort of bilateral paralysis. I’ll keep trying for the endoscopy. Lastly, one other I forgot to mention, at my request the ENT checked my nasal passages and found them pretty swollen (allergies?!?!?). Prescribed a nasal spray to open them up. Perhaps unblocked nasal passages may help in my ability to breathe easier.

I, too, suffer from unexplained (at least so far) of shortness of breath. It usually occurs when I bend over, like to tie my shoes, or clean the bathtub, etc. I occasionally have it upon slow exertion, like climbing a hill at a walk. I o do have larger than normal lungs (so called hyperinflated) and a barrel chest. Been that way since I was a teen. My father passed from COPD and was a smoker. We lived in a home heated by a wood-burning fireplace. In retrospect, it shouldn't be surprising that at 65 I am having issues.
I have recently discovered different breathing programs that have really made a difference for me. A long breath in (10 beats or more) through the nose, then a long breath out through the mouth of the same duration. The controlled breathing out is harder than it sounds. I am working up to a 20 second in/20 second out, but I am already noticing improvement, and less fatigue. Take a moment to look up breathing exercises online, there are several different ones, but this one seems to work best for me. Its worth a try, and won't hurt you. Write back if you discover a breathing program works for you.

I have not been able to complete a deep breath for over 2 weeks. I feel a need to yawn and it gets stuck in my chest…. Pulmonologist found nothing, ENT said I have GERD. ( no symptoms). I’m now taking allergy meds, nasal sprays and Omeprazole with no relief…. This is making me anxious and uncomfortable.
I don’t know where to turn for help. This has never happened before. I’m a senior citizen with no health issues except for this

@dcm8299

Thomason, thank you for sharing your experience. I’m glad to hear that you’ve found a way to resolve and manage those problems. COVID seems to be wreaking havoc on the human population. Was it ever claimed whether or not the paralysis was due to the past tracheotomy or the virus?!? Any other symptoms that would indicate some sort of bilateral paralysis. I’ll keep trying for the endoscopy. Lastly, one other I forgot to mention, at my request the ENT checked my nasal passages and found them pretty swollen (allergies?!?!?). Prescribed a nasal spray to open them up. Perhaps unblocked nasal passages may help in my ability to breathe easier.

Jump to this post

The doctors do not know what caused the paralysis. It took an esophagus scoping (is that also called an endoscopy?) where the doctor slides the tube up through one nostril, down into the throat area, to find the tumor. Even a CT scan did not detect it! Yet, after the radiation, shortness of breath was not an issue. It came on after the second bout with Covid, so I am assuming Covid was the culprit. Maybe, it was a bit of both. Please give the Primetene Mist a try, as it is the only thing that helped me before the tracheotomy. I hope the nasal spray helps you, because shortness of breath is miserable to have.

Absolutely agree about the shortness of breath being miserable. An endoscopy goes down your throat. It’s suppose to scope your esophagus. With GERD, stomach acid can climb the esophagus and harm the lining of one’s esophagus. Stomach acid can also slide down the windpipe into the lungs. I’m going to look into the Primitene Mist Spray. Although, for me, I’m starting to wonder if it’s not diaphragm and musculoskeletal skeletal related since I constantly have discomfort in the area of the sternum/xyphoid process.

@shels

I have not been able to complete a deep breath for over 2 weeks. I feel a need to yawn and it gets stuck in my chest…. Pulmonologist found nothing, ENT said I have GERD. ( no symptoms). I’m now taking allergy meds, nasal sprays and Omeprazole with no relief…. This is making me anxious and uncomfortable.
I don’t know where to turn for help. This has never happened before. I’m a senior citizen with no health issues except for this

Jump to this post

I understand your anxiety! Most of the commenters in this thread have similar anxiety. Much like me, the good news is your pulmonologist says it’s not lung related. That’s a big deal. Try breathing techniques to try and slow down/calm down and catch the deep breath you’re looking for. Reduce anxiety and maybe you’ll find your symptoms begin to dissipate.

@kevink

Hello, I have been following this thread off and on since my SOB started back in the spring of 2020. Seems like alot of us are experiencing the exact same symptoms. I can go days and even weeks without alot of issues then it returns just as bad. For me it will usually get worse through out the day, just depends on the day. Like many others if I don't dwell on it and am really busy at work or something to keep my mind off it. But the minute I start thinking about it it gets worse! I've been to a couple of doctors they have no answers for me. Went to the ER one morning because my anxiety got the best of me. Chest xray EKG and oxygen levels all normal. It's been so frustrating and no one understands when I try to tell them about it. I'm 48 years old and in good health. Had asthma as a kid and still have some allergies. The one thing I do have that has been strange is excessive burping. I'm on Omeprazole and don't have much acid reflux issues. But I think that the burping and SOB are some how related? It's been very frustrating last few years!

Jump to this post

i agree about it being worse when I think (obsess) about it.
I'm still not 100% sure this is not long covid since I started 6 days before I got other symptoms and tested positive. Some docs think it could be. Some think it's anxiety. I've been on anti anxiety meds for 6 months. Still in same recover/relapse pattern.
I have to say diaphragm strengthening tool has helped I think. Also doing diaphragm breathing throughout thd day.I also take an antihistamine and cut out sugar, alcohol and high histamine foods. I've started a very clean diet. Lost 23 pounds. If not for this breathing, I'd be the healthiest girl on the planet!

@dcm8299

Thank you Gabe for reaching back out to me. To make a long story short, I’ve have lots of different blood work done and it’s always come back relatively normal. Cholesterol is good. Triglycerides are borderline high. ALT (liver enzymes) are borderline high, need to give up the hard liquor.
I’ve seen two different pulmonologist groups, both administered pulmonary function tests both resulted in normal lung function with one exception. The second group afministered and ABG (arterial blood gas) draw and found mild hypoxemia, 72. The doctor wasn’t all that concerned saying that the rest of your studies were way above average and that hypoxemia could be lots of things not to do with lung function or gas exchange. With regard to GERD, I still have some reflux depending on the foods that I eat. I’m trying to figure out specifically if a particular type of food triggers it. Meanwhile, I am on Protonix. It appears to be aiding in reducing the frequency of the reflux. I’m in the process of trying to convince the GI doctor to perform an endoscopy.

Jump to this post

It would be good to get an endoscopy. Some people have had some relief with their symptoms by taking a PPI or some sort of heartburn medication. How long have you been on Protonix and have you noticed any difference with the breathing?

@mdrickards

I, too, suffer from unexplained (at least so far) of shortness of breath. It usually occurs when I bend over, like to tie my shoes, or clean the bathtub, etc. I occasionally have it upon slow exertion, like climbing a hill at a walk. I o do have larger than normal lungs (so called hyperinflated) and a barrel chest. Been that way since I was a teen. My father passed from COPD and was a smoker. We lived in a home heated by a wood-burning fireplace. In retrospect, it shouldn't be surprising that at 65 I am having issues.
I have recently discovered different breathing programs that have really made a difference for me. A long breath in (10 beats or more) through the nose, then a long breath out through the mouth of the same duration. The controlled breathing out is harder than it sounds. I am working up to a 20 second in/20 second out, but I am already noticing improvement, and less fatigue. Take a moment to look up breathing exercises online, there are several different ones, but this one seems to work best for me. Its worth a try, and won't hurt you. Write back if you discover a breathing program works for you.

Jump to this post

@mdrickards , thank you for the breathing tips! I think this type of exercises helps with many things including any acute anxiety from breathing or other health issues as well as calming the body and expanding your breathing capacity which may help with the air hunger sensation

@gabrielm

It would be good to get an endoscopy. Some people have had some relief with their symptoms by taking a PPI or some sort of heartburn medication. How long have you been on Protonix and have you noticed any difference with the breathing?

Jump to this post

I’ve been on Protonix now for over a month. I’ve NOT noticed a difference in my breathing. Although the GERD still appears from time to time. The excessive yawning continues, the need to take a deep breath more often than normal continues. Sometimes I get that deep breath easier than others. It appears to be happening more frequently. As per the advice of another poster, I’m trying the Primatene spray although it doesn’t seem to be having much effect. Nothing beyond has seemingly changed. I still run freely and without much interference with my breathing. I’ve noticed recently that more strenuous exercise like climbing hills or stairs make my legs more tired that I remember but that could be just normal aging, conditioning or lack thereof issues. Still wake u every morning with normal BP and an O2 Sat of 98-99%. Maybe it’s a diaphragm issue?!?! At my height, I could probably stand to lose 20 lbs. perhaps the diaphragm is compressing and now allowing the lungs to properly expand?!?

Please sign in or register to post a reply.