Mysterious shortness of breath: What has helped you?

Posted by Gabe, Volunteer Mentor @gabrielm, May 31, 2018

I will try to make this as short as possible, but this has been going on for over 5 years, so it might be farily long. 

Beginning in summer of 2012, I began having shortness of breath (SOB) with no other symptoms. I felt a constant need to yawn, and every few breaths wouldn't satisfy the SOB. I would take a deep breath, and felt like it would get "stuck" before satisfying the air hunger feeling. About every 3-5 deep breaths would satisfy it, only for it to return a minute later. 

I got an endoscopy and other tests done, which revealed that I had some esophageal erosion due to acid reflux and a slight hiatal hernia and was diagnosed with GERD. I had always have bad heartburn, so I was prescribed with Prilosec, which I have been taking daily since them. I've tried stopping it a few times but the reflux always comes back a lot worse. 

Lung tests and x-rays were normal. Heart tests normal. Blood test revealed a slight anemia but otherwise pretty normal. 

I did some research reading forums where someone suggested taking vitamin B-12. Strangely, I took it and the SOB disappeared almost instantly. However, it only lasted a few days for it to return just as bad. I then started taking an iron supplement, which again made the SOB disappear quickly- same thing; symptom returned days later. 

After further research, I came across a breathing exercise method called the Buteyko method. Essentially you do a lot of breath holding to build up CO2 and reduce breathing as the theory is that I had chronic hyperventilation causing too much CO2 to exit my body. After applying the method and reducing my breathing, the SOB disappeared after only 2 days and I felt completely normal. I continued the method a few more days then no longer felt the need to pursue the exercises. I was normal for a whole year when the SOB once again returned with some chest tightness. I applied the method again and the symptom went away, this time with a little more effort; after about 3 weeks. I included physical exercise which also helped with my breathing. 

After that, I was normal for about 2 years. I mistakenly stopped or at least slowed down exercise and the SOB returned once again. I applied the method and began running for exercise but the SOB kept getting worse. It got so bad, I had multiple panic attacks and the feeling of completely empty lungs with the inability to satisfy it with deep breaths. I had to stop exercise altogether, apply the Buteyko method and do breathing exercises very carefully with very light and slow exercise. This helped, but it took many weeks for the SOB to improve. Then, it was almost normal when over a year ago as I was running, I couldn't get a deep breath to satisfy exercise-induced SOB. I have had SOB continuously since then (a year and a half). 

I once again started doing breathing exercises and slowly building up physical exercise, but I can't do any prolonged cardio activity because the SOB gets to a point where deep breathing will not satisfy it. While the breathing exercises have helped, they have had very little effect compared to previous efforts. It seems that every time the symptom returned, greater effort yields few results.

I suspect there is something, some underlying cause that is causing the SOB that has alluded me this entire time. 

So for the past few months to a year, the SOB is worse on some days, better on others, but never gone. There's no rhyme or reason or pattern for it. It's just there, sometimes affecting my sleep. I sometimes can't get a deep breath to satisfy it every now and then, but for the most part, a big gulp of air will satisfy it. But it returns seconds to minutes later. It's as though every breath doesn't deliver what it's supposed to, the SOB builds up, and then I have to take a big gulp of air to get rid of the feeling, pattern repeats. My breathing pattern is normal, however. I don't feel like anything physical is happening, but sometimes it feels like my airways and nostrils are slightly inflamed due to allergies, but when I don't feel inflammation the SOB is still there. 

Recent lung function tests show normal- I don't have asthma, or any other problems with my lungs. Heart tests are normal though I did have about a two week bout of heart palpitations which came and went. Haven't had any for a while- it just mysteriously started happening then stopped. Blood tests are normal, though tests always show a slight elevation of biliruben which my doc thinks is Gilbert's disease. 

I don't have sleep apnea (normal test), bloody oxygenation is normal, heart rate normal. 

I recently saw local naturopath (since mainstream docs aren't able to help) who immediately suspected a liver problem when I described my SOB, possibly liver inflammation. He used an electrodermal testing machine to test his theory which did seem to show a problem with my liver and gallbladder. He gave me digestive enzymes and a gallbladder formula to help clear a bile duct clog, thus reducing liver inflammation. He also determined with the machine that I have an egg sensitivity so I've been avoiding eggs. 

Been taking this and avoiding eggs for a couple of months, but there has been no noticeable improvement. Everything else is normal. Emotionally I'm normal- no anxiety, depression, etc. The SOB seems to be the only symptom of something, but always comes back worse, until a year and half ago when it came back and has remained since. I feel like I shouldn't have to do breath holding exercises every day just to maintain my breathing well enough to do every day things. 

Does anyone have any idea of a possible underlying cause?

2021/2022 UPDATE:
Since my original post about 3-1/2 years ago, a lot has happened, so I’d like to update the post to share with others who come across this what I’ve done since then.

I have maintained a weekly Buteyko method breathing exercise regimen where I do a few of these breathing exercises 3-4 times a week in the morning. This, in combination with daily light to moderate exercise (specifically weight lifting, with 1 or 2 days a week of walking and light jogging), I feel has kept the air hunger symptoms tolerable and manageable. I have mostly good days with some not-so-good days, but doing a breathing exercise and knowing that it’ll get better again helps me get through those times.

I also have sinus inflammation which can exacerbate the symptoms, but I’ve also managed this, which in turn reduces the severity of the air hunger symptoms.

So, while I haven’t found a cure nor is the problem completely gone, I have been able to maintain normalcy in daily life and manage the symptoms through the strategies I described.

This discussion remains active, alive and well through the comments section where others who have similar symptoms have shared what has helped them as well as suggestions for possible solutions to explore.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Lung Health Support Group.

Hello all!
I was so glad to read all of the posts regarding this issue. I am 50 yrs old and I have had this same problem since I was around 10 yrs old.
Yes, it comes and goes. Distraction does help, and for me yawning is a way to get that last little extra "depth" to my breath that helps relieve the feeling that my lungs just aren't quite expanding fully. YET I FOUND SOMETHING THAT HELPED!!!!
No, I'm not trying to sell anything lol. I only hope that some of you may be able to find some relief like I have.
Whenever I tried to explain this sensation to others or my docs, I heard the same responses as all of you. I was convinced it must be anxiety even though I didn't think I felt anxious. Then I had something odd happen that helped me to find a solution (at least for me). I had a blood draw for a different medical issue and when the results came in it showed I had unusually high inflammation markers. My docs weren't sure what it was from exactly but the inflammation was there. I searched for a natural way to help my body deal with the inflammation as I was already on a couple medications and didn't want to add more. What I found was that tumeric and ginger are both great natural ways to help your body deal with inflammation. I begin grating ginger into boiling water to make my own tea at home (which is super inexpensive! ). I definitely believe fresh ginger worked better than a pre-bagged processed ginger tea. I also jumped on Amazon and found a 500mg tumeric and curcumin capsule. I got 250 capsules for around $20. I would drink a big coffee cup (probably equal to 2 regular coffee cups) of the ginger tea maybe two or three times a week when I was feeling like I couldn't get that deep breath, or I would take 2 of the 500mg tumeric/ curcumin capsules for two or three days in a row, and usually by the 2nd day the feeling would not just disappear, but I could get a deep breath even if I was focused on my breathing! I think the ginger tea when made with fresh ginger (I would only steep maybe a teaspoon of ginger for that big cup) actually worked faster and I would have real results within 12 to 14 hrs. I truly believe that it is either my lung tissue or the space around my lungs that gets minorly inflamed. It's not significant enough to be readily noticeable on tests but just enough to keep me from achieving that deep breath. I don't use either method daily anymore as my inflammation seems to be much more in check now. I probably NEED to use them around 4 times a year now. The best thing though is that because these are both very natural herbs neither one will hurt you, unless you are allergic to them of course, if you want to use them on a daily basis.
Anyhow, this was my experience and if it in anyway can help any of you, I am certainly happy to share the information. Good luck to you all!

I have been experiencing this for about 6 months. I had a mild case of covid and felt lots of anxiety around it, so not really sure if its from the covid or from ongoing anxiety. All of my medical tests were normal.

It has gotten better slowly over time. But I feel like I've just stopped noticing the "air hunger" feeling more than anything else. If I try to take a deep breath consciously, it still feels like its restricted. It doesn't really effect my daily life as I can still work out normally and don't feel limited physically. I'm starting to wonder if its all in my head and if my breathing was always like this, but maybe now I just notice it more.

For those of you who have recovered, do you find that every conscious breath now gives you a satisfying feeling? Or is it that you just stop feeling the ongoing "air hunger" but breaths still feel constricted when you consciously focus on it?

@samsaid

Hello all!
I was so glad to read all of the posts regarding this issue. I am 50 yrs old and I have had this same problem since I was around 10 yrs old.
Yes, it comes and goes. Distraction does help, and for me yawning is a way to get that last little extra "depth" to my breath that helps relieve the feeling that my lungs just aren't quite expanding fully. YET I FOUND SOMETHING THAT HELPED!!!!
No, I'm not trying to sell anything lol. I only hope that some of you may be able to find some relief like I have.
Whenever I tried to explain this sensation to others or my docs, I heard the same responses as all of you. I was convinced it must be anxiety even though I didn't think I felt anxious. Then I had something odd happen that helped me to find a solution (at least for me). I had a blood draw for a different medical issue and when the results came in it showed I had unusually high inflammation markers. My docs weren't sure what it was from exactly but the inflammation was there. I searched for a natural way to help my body deal with the inflammation as I was already on a couple medications and didn't want to add more. What I found was that tumeric and ginger are both great natural ways to help your body deal with inflammation. I begin grating ginger into boiling water to make my own tea at home (which is super inexpensive! ). I definitely believe fresh ginger worked better than a pre-bagged processed ginger tea. I also jumped on Amazon and found a 500mg tumeric and curcumin capsule. I got 250 capsules for around $20. I would drink a big coffee cup (probably equal to 2 regular coffee cups) of the ginger tea maybe two or three times a week when I was feeling like I couldn't get that deep breath, or I would take 2 of the 500mg tumeric/ curcumin capsules for two or three days in a row, and usually by the 2nd day the feeling would not just disappear, but I could get a deep breath even if I was focused on my breathing! I think the ginger tea when made with fresh ginger (I would only steep maybe a teaspoon of ginger for that big cup) actually worked faster and I would have real results within 12 to 14 hrs. I truly believe that it is either my lung tissue or the space around my lungs that gets minorly inflamed. It's not significant enough to be readily noticeable on tests but just enough to keep me from achieving that deep breath. I don't use either method daily anymore as my inflammation seems to be much more in check now. I probably NEED to use them around 4 times a year now. The best thing though is that because these are both very natural herbs neither one will hurt you, unless you are allergic to them of course, if you want to use them on a daily basis.
Anyhow, this was my experience and if it in anyway can help any of you, I am certainly happy to share the information. Good luck to you all!

Jump to this post

Hi @samsaid, thank you for posting this! I'm sure this will help a lot of people (including myself) as it is definitely worth a try especially that it's natural. I've suspected that inflammation may indeed be a part of what is going on with me and many others, though I haven't confirmed that through tests. I don't know if any of my past blood tests have indicated high inflammation, but it's good that there are inflammation markers that can be tested.

I've also read up on ginger, turmeric, etc., as things that can help with reducing inflammation along with a healthier diet. So it definitely gives people something to consider, and I'm very glad that this helps you!

@dishwalla9

Thanks for the reply but again I've tried that but didnt solve the 20 years of having this. I'm not overweight and I've takin meds for acid reflux. That didnt solve it. I do have some autonomic dysfunction so I'm guessing that has something to do with it.

Jump to this post

Hello my 21 year old son is experiencing shortness of breath after eating any meal for past one year. He has already tried PPI, H2 blockers etc . he has completely changed diet to acid free but continues to have shortness of breath. Any suggestions

Sorry to hear about all that you are going through. My 21 year old son is also experiencing shortness of breath after eating any meal for past one year. He has already tried PPI, H2 blockers etc . He also tries the Buteyko method with limited success. he has completely changed diet to acid free but continues to have shortness of breath. Any suggestions

@gabrielm

Thanks for the reply! I have explored the possibility of anxiety and stress, but I don't experience any of that, at least beyond the norm. I might have a stressed out day now and then, but I'm not a stressful person and am pretty easy-going. I don't have anxiety. The SOB is just always there. Always. Whether I'm at work, at home, stressed, not stressed, but stress for me is very uncommon. I have a low-stress job. So I'm not convinced it's that. So I still have no idea what it is; I'm looking into submitting my case to CrowdMed.

I'm doing alright, thank you for asking. I would say that over the past 6 months I have experienced periods of improvement from days to even weeks. Not 100%, but enough to where I didn't really notice it all day. Then I would have random bouts where it would get kind of bad, where I just can't get a deep breath, and when I do it doesn't last long before I'm desperately needing another. That would go on for a few days, and then it would get better again. So it's still up and down, and it's manageable but not normal at all. I still do exercise when I can, to an intensity that my breathing will allow- some weightlifting sessions allow me to lift a decent amount of weight with not as much rest in between, and other times I have to cut my sessions short after lifting light weights and having to rest for 5 minutes in between sets. So it all depends on the day I guess.

Jump to this post

Hey I know I’m a few years late to this post but I have been dealing with this for three steady years now, same exact thing you describe and was wondering if you found any solutions? I have been looking everywhere and am lost . It makes no sense :
Physically I am fine , I’m very fit and have had every possible test done and still I have this issue . Have you found anything to help ?

@kka

I have been experiencing this for about 6 months. I had a mild case of covid and felt lots of anxiety around it, so not really sure if its from the covid or from ongoing anxiety. All of my medical tests were normal.

It has gotten better slowly over time. But I feel like I've just stopped noticing the "air hunger" feeling more than anything else. If I try to take a deep breath consciously, it still feels like its restricted. It doesn't really effect my daily life as I can still work out normally and don't feel limited physically. I'm starting to wonder if its all in my head and if my breathing was always like this, but maybe now I just notice it more.

For those of you who have recovered, do you find that every conscious breath now gives you a satisfying feeling? Or is it that you just stop feeling the ongoing "air hunger" but breaths still feel constricted when you consciously focus on it?

Jump to this post

Hi @kka, I'm glad that it's gotten better for you and that it's manageable. For me, I guess it's more that I don't feel the air hunger as intensely as I used to when it all began. Only sometimes does it feel constricted when I breathe, but I'm also able to get satisfying breaths most of the time. And the times I don't, it's not severe and I've learned not to worry about it because I know I'll get a normal breath soon. Does that make sense?

Did this symptom start when you had Covid? It's certainly possible that could affected your breathing, or as you said, maybe anxiety from the Covid. Do you know any breathing exercises that might help with anxiety? If the breathing exercises to help slow and control the breathing helps, that might be an indication that it was anxiety. But if anything, it's worth learning some breathing techniques to slow the breath where possible.

@nishajain

Hello my 21 year old son is experiencing shortness of breath after eating any meal for past one year. He has already tried PPI, H2 blockers etc . he has completely changed diet to acid free but continues to have shortness of breath. Any suggestions

Jump to this post

Hi @nishajain, I'm sorry your son is going through this. What sorts of tests have you gotten done so far, or have any doctors said anything about it yet? He experiences this after every meal...I wonder if he could get checked out for some sort of restricted movement of the diaphragm. Is he able to take a deep breath that is satisfying? Or does it get "stuck" when he tries to breathe in?

@percyellz

Hey I know I’m a few years late to this post but I have been dealing with this for three steady years now, same exact thing you describe and was wondering if you found any solutions? I have been looking everywhere and am lost . It makes no sense :
Physically I am fine , I’m very fit and have had every possible test done and still I have this issue . Have you found anything to help ?

Jump to this post

Hi @percyellz, you're definitely not late! This forum has become very popular because many other people are experiencing similar symptoms. What most have in common is that it's mysterious, and the general feeling of air hunger to varying degrees.

While I haven't found a solution, I have learned to manage it through breathing exercises and moderate daily exercise. I've also learned to breathe through my nose while doing normal every day things, but also while exercising.

Can you describe a bit more about what you're experiencing? Is this a shortness of breath that one would have during exercise, say? Or is it an air hunger where you can't seem to take a deep breath at times?

@gabrielm

Hi @percyellz, you're definitely not late! This forum has become very popular because many other people are experiencing similar symptoms. What most have in common is that it's mysterious, and the general feeling of air hunger to varying degrees.

While I haven't found a solution, I have learned to manage it through breathing exercises and moderate daily exercise. I've also learned to breathe through my nose while doing normal every day things, but also while exercising.

Can you describe a bit more about what you're experiencing? Is this a shortness of breath that one would have during exercise, say? Or is it an air hunger where you can't seem to take a deep breath at times?

Jump to this post

Three years ago I was doing sit ups and all of the sudden couldn’t catch my breath. Ever since then it has stuck with me. It’s like I feel the need to gulp air to catch a deep breath but often times cannot catch it . Also constantly yawning . Even my yawns do not come to completion if that makes sense . Some days I barley notice it at all; although the need to take deep breaths still occur; but other days usually 2-5 days at a time it seems especially bad and it’s all I can focus on all day . When I think about it to much it makes it worse I feel like. I’ve had every test imaginable done and am physically fine according to many different doctors. I notice when I take a few days off from the gym it seems to get worse . I definitely think the exercise helps but I consider myself very fit and don’t think that’s the main reason . Many doctors tell me it is anxiety which doesn’t make sense because i am happy and calm in life for the most part : I even tried their antidepressants and it did not help. I’m thinking it may be permanent and it’s very frustrating that there seems to be no solution or answers. I appreciate your insight

Please sign in or register to post a reply.