Mysterious shortness of breath: What has helped you?

Posted by Gabe, Volunteer Mentor @gabrielm, May 31, 2018

I will try to make this as short as possible, but this has been going on for over 5 years, so it might be farily long. 

Beginning in summer of 2012, I began having shortness of breath (SOB) with no other symptoms. I felt a constant need to yawn, and every few breaths wouldn't satisfy the SOB. I would take a deep breath, and felt like it would get "stuck" before satisfying the air hunger feeling. About every 3-5 deep breaths would satisfy it, only for it to return a minute later. 

I got an endoscopy and other tests done, which revealed that I had some esophageal erosion due to acid reflux and a slight hiatal hernia and was diagnosed with GERD. I had always have bad heartburn, so I was prescribed with Prilosec, which I have been taking daily since them. I've tried stopping it a few times but the reflux always comes back a lot worse. 

Lung tests and x-rays were normal. Heart tests normal. Blood test revealed a slight anemia but otherwise pretty normal. 

I did some research reading forums where someone suggested taking vitamin B-12. Strangely, I took it and the SOB disappeared almost instantly. However, it only lasted a few days for it to return just as bad. I then started taking an iron supplement, which again made the SOB disappear quickly- same thing; symptom returned days later. 

After further research, I came across a breathing exercise method called the Buteyko method. Essentially you do a lot of breath holding to build up CO2 and reduce breathing as the theory is that I had chronic hyperventilation causing too much CO2 to exit my body. After applying the method and reducing my breathing, the SOB disappeared after only 2 days and I felt completely normal. I continued the method a few more days then no longer felt the need to pursue the exercises. I was normal for a whole year when the SOB once again returned with some chest tightness. I applied the method again and the symptom went away, this time with a little more effort; after about 3 weeks. I included physical exercise which also helped with my breathing. 

After that, I was normal for about 2 years. I mistakenly stopped or at least slowed down exercise and the SOB returned once again. I applied the method and began running for exercise but the SOB kept getting worse. It got so bad, I had multiple panic attacks and the feeling of completely empty lungs with the inability to satisfy it with deep breaths. I had to stop exercise altogether, apply the Buteyko method and do breathing exercises very carefully with very light and slow exercise. This helped, but it took many weeks for the SOB to improve. Then, it was almost normal when over a year ago as I was running, I couldn't get a deep breath to satisfy exercise-induced SOB. I have had SOB continuously since then (a year and a half). 

I once again started doing breathing exercises and slowly building up physical exercise, but I can't do any prolonged cardio activity because the SOB gets to a point where deep breathing will not satisfy it. While the breathing exercises have helped, they have had very little effect compared to previous efforts. It seems that every time the symptom returned, greater effort yields few results.

I suspect there is something, some underlying cause that is causing the SOB that has alluded me this entire time. 

So for the past few months to a year, the SOB is worse on some days, better on others, but never gone. There's no rhyme or reason or pattern for it. It's just there, sometimes affecting my sleep. I sometimes can't get a deep breath to satisfy it every now and then, but for the most part, a big gulp of air will satisfy it. But it returns seconds to minutes later. It's as though every breath doesn't deliver what it's supposed to, the SOB builds up, and then I have to take a big gulp of air to get rid of the feeling, pattern repeats. My breathing pattern is normal, however. I don't feel like anything physical is happening, but sometimes it feels like my airways and nostrils are slightly inflamed due to allergies, but when I don't feel inflammation the SOB is still there. 

Recent lung function tests show normal- I don't have asthma, or any other problems with my lungs. Heart tests are normal though I did have about a two week bout of heart palpitations which came and went. Haven't had any for a while- it just mysteriously started happening then stopped. Blood tests are normal, though tests always show a slight elevation of biliruben which my doc thinks is Gilbert's disease. 

I don't have sleep apnea (normal test), bloody oxygenation is normal, heart rate normal. 

I recently saw local naturopath (since mainstream docs aren't able to help) who immediately suspected a liver problem when I described my SOB, possibly liver inflammation. He used an electrodermal testing machine to test his theory which did seem to show a problem with my liver and gallbladder. He gave me digestive enzymes and a gallbladder formula to help clear a bile duct clog, thus reducing liver inflammation. He also determined with the machine that I have an egg sensitivity so I've been avoiding eggs. 

Been taking this and avoiding eggs for a couple of months, but there has been no noticeable improvement. Everything else is normal. Emotionally I'm normal- no anxiety, depression, etc. The SOB seems to be the only symptom of something, but always comes back worse, until a year and half ago when it came back and has remained since. I feel like I shouldn't have to do breath holding exercises every day just to maintain my breathing well enough to do every day things. 

Does anyone have any idea of a possible underlying cause?

2021/2022 UPDATE:
Since my original post about 3-1/2 years ago, a lot has happened, so I’d like to update the post to share with others who come across this what I’ve done since then.

I have maintained a weekly Buteyko method breathing exercise regimen where I do a few of these breathing exercises 3-4 times a week in the morning. This, in combination with daily light to moderate exercise (specifically weight lifting, with 1 or 2 days a week of walking and light jogging), I feel has kept the air hunger symptoms tolerable and manageable. I have mostly good days with some not-so-good days, but doing a breathing exercise and knowing that it’ll get better again helps me get through those times.

I also have sinus inflammation which can exacerbate the symptoms, but I’ve also managed this, which in turn reduces the severity of the air hunger symptoms.

So, while I haven’t found a cure nor is the problem completely gone, I have been able to maintain normalcy in daily life and manage the symptoms through the strategies I described.

This discussion remains active, alive and well through the comments section where others who have similar symptoms have shared what has helped them as well as suggestions for possible solutions to explore.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Lung Health Support Group.

I'm so glad I've found this forum - I don't feel quite so alone with this! I had covid pneumonia back in Xmas 2020 (hospitalised for nearly a week), and my breathing hasn't been right ever since. I've finally been diagnosed with uncontrolled asthma recently, but with the strong inhalers I'm still having those hunger breaths. No medical professional has EVER been able to explain it - when you yawn and you can't get that release. It feels like you can't breathe even though you know you are and when it gets bad I sometimes gag and cough violently. I'm a woodwind player/teacher so I need my breathing to be at it's best. I'm constantly getting upper respiratory infections (had pneumonia the year before covid, and have currently got a chest infection that certainly doesn't help). Could this be something to do with my throat?

@percyellz

Three years ago I was doing sit ups and all of the sudden couldn’t catch my breath. Ever since then it has stuck with me. It’s like I feel the need to gulp air to catch a deep breath but often times cannot catch it . Also constantly yawning . Even my yawns do not come to completion if that makes sense . Some days I barley notice it at all; although the need to take deep breaths still occur; but other days usually 2-5 days at a time it seems especially bad and it’s all I can focus on all day . When I think about it to much it makes it worse I feel like. I’ve had every test imaginable done and am physically fine according to many different doctors. I notice when I take a few days off from the gym it seems to get worse . I definitely think the exercise helps but I consider myself very fit and don’t think that’s the main reason . Many doctors tell me it is anxiety which doesn’t make sense because i am happy and calm in life for the most part : I even tried their antidepressants and it did not help. I’m thinking it may be permanent and it’s very frustrating that there seems to be no solution or answers. I appreciate your insight

Jump to this post

@percyellz, I wonder if you did something to your diaphragm during the sit-ups. Do you think it might’ve caused by the exercise or maybe just a coincidence that it started with the sit-ups?

Yes I know exactly what you mean about the yawn not coming
to completion. For me, it was a deep breath that didn’t come to completion. I’ve also noticed that if I don’t focus on it, it seems to be not there for the most part.

Do you use any GI issues or did any blood tests indicate any nutrient deficiencies?

@woodwind1

I'm so glad I've found this forum - I don't feel quite so alone with this! I had covid pneumonia back in Xmas 2020 (hospitalised for nearly a week), and my breathing hasn't been right ever since. I've finally been diagnosed with uncontrolled asthma recently, but with the strong inhalers I'm still having those hunger breaths. No medical professional has EVER been able to explain it - when you yawn and you can't get that release. It feels like you can't breathe even though you know you are and when it gets bad I sometimes gag and cough violently. I'm a woodwind player/teacher so I need my breathing to be at it's best. I'm constantly getting upper respiratory infections (had pneumonia the year before covid, and have currently got a chest infection that certainly doesn't help). Could this be something to do with my throat?

Jump to this post

@woodwind1, I’m glad you found us! Pneumonia can definitely affect breathing and reduce lung capacity. It sounds like asthma is also a big part of it and might be contributing to the shortness of breath. Do you mostly breathe with your chest or with your belly? And to find out if you had asthma, did you do a lung function test?

@gabrielm

@percyellz, I wonder if you did something to your diaphragm during the sit-ups. Do you think it might’ve caused by the exercise or maybe just a coincidence that it started with the sit-ups?

Yes I know exactly what you mean about the yawn not coming
to completion. For me, it was a deep breath that didn’t come to completion. I’ve also noticed that if I don’t focus on it, it seems to be not there for the most part.

Do you use any GI issues or did any blood tests indicate any nutrient deficiencies?

Jump to this post

I think it is just a coincidence because when I was around 13 years old I had shortness of breath out of nowhere and the doctors said there was nothing wrong with me and it was only happening because I was “ thinking about it to much “ and then a few days After that appointment it just went away completely; for years . But from everything I’ve experienced and researched I am under the impression that it is something neurological. All my blood test show no deficiencies. I thought maybe I was allergic to something because it seems to be worse especially after eating. I can never get a deep breath when I’m focused on it but when I’m distracted by something Else it seems to be much better

@percyellz

I think it is just a coincidence because when I was around 13 years old I had shortness of breath out of nowhere and the doctors said there was nothing wrong with me and it was only happening because I was “ thinking about it to much “ and then a few days After that appointment it just went away completely; for years . But from everything I’ve experienced and researched I am under the impression that it is something neurological. All my blood test show no deficiencies. I thought maybe I was allergic to something because it seems to be worse especially after eating. I can never get a deep breath when I’m focused on it but when I’m distracted by something Else it seems to be much better

Jump to this post

It could indeed be something neurological. In your research, have you found what tests you can have a doctor do?

@gabrielm

It could indeed be something neurological. In your research, have you found what tests you can have a doctor do?

Jump to this post

Not yet , but I’m going to do some more looking around now that I have better health insurance than before hahah

@percyellz

Three years ago I was doing sit ups and all of the sudden couldn’t catch my breath. Ever since then it has stuck with me. It’s like I feel the need to gulp air to catch a deep breath but often times cannot catch it . Also constantly yawning . Even my yawns do not come to completion if that makes sense . Some days I barley notice it at all; although the need to take deep breaths still occur; but other days usually 2-5 days at a time it seems especially bad and it’s all I can focus on all day . When I think about it to much it makes it worse I feel like. I’ve had every test imaginable done and am physically fine according to many different doctors. I notice when I take a few days off from the gym it seems to get worse . I definitely think the exercise helps but I consider myself very fit and don’t think that’s the main reason . Many doctors tell me it is anxiety which doesn’t make sense because i am happy and calm in life for the most part : I even tried their antidepressants and it did not help. I’m thinking it may be permanent and it’s very frustrating that there seems to be no solution or answers. I appreciate your insight

Jump to this post

Have you ever had a scoping to see if your vocal cords are functioning normally?
The vocal cords can cause shortness of breath in many conditions...I found that out!

@thomason

Have you ever had a scoping to see if your vocal cords are functioning normally?
The vocal cords can cause shortness of breath in many conditions...I found that out!

Jump to this post

@thomason, that's definitely a good point! Vocal Chord Dysfunction is an issue where SOB can be a symptom. Not in all cases, but is worth talking with your doc about as something to possibly test for.

@percyellz, definitely let me know what you find out! I'm always looking to learn all the various things people talk to their doctors about. You mentioned previously about doing better with exercise. Have you been keeping up with exercise and is it helping your breathing?

Wow!
Exactly the same experience plus some tighness restrictive feeling around throat chest.
Been back and forth to Doctors, tests performed plus spyro test all coming back fine.
I just wonder if it is something in the foods we consume these days making people sick?
I will focus on that. I am not convinced it being asthma related, excercise induced or other. I am not convinced it being the cooler days as i at times get this in warmer days too.
It stands to reason considering all this chemical crap that gets pumped into foods these days.
Sure! Some of you may take some medication that can cause your symptoms. So? For me it's back trying to figure out what the trigger is for this and may need to seek help from an allergist. I am on a plant base diet so it should not be too hard what the few other things i consume besides whole plant base. Lately i been eating biscuits. I wonder?

Hi
Update :
Im on lexapro for 2 month now
I started with 10 mg once a day
Now im on 30 mg
Im really better since 2 month ago
But still not go away completely
I prefer to anybody who suffer this see a Psychiatrist like me even you are sure its not anxiety
I wanna go on 40 mg lexapro.
If its not go away completely with 40 mg i change my medication

Please sign in or register to post a reply.