My HDL is 110. Is this too high?

Posted by beaverstreefarm @beaverstreefarm, Jan 17 11:02am

Is

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Heart & Blood Health Support Group.

I am not a medical professional.

Here's a summary by Mayo - https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/hdl-cholesterol/art-20046388#:~:text=Higher%20levels%20of%20HDL%20cholesterol,your%20bloodstream%20attached%20to%20proteins.

And, an excerpt from that link.
"Oddly enough, people who naturally have extremely high HDL levels — above 100 mg/dL (2.5mmol/L) — appear to be at higher risk of heart disease. This may be caused by genetic factors."

Hello beaverstreefarm
Recent test shows: HDL 90, LDL 52, Spoke to my Cardio, 1st question do you drink alcohol... my answer is NO + had a kidney transplant nearing 5 years before that I had a failing kidney ...On reading reading reading medical papers...there is some talk that excess use of olive oil & possibly coq10. In my case could be applicable.. not sure .. but have cut down Olive oil & Coq10 a bit & reduced my Cardio workouts to 4 days ... let's see how that goes.. yes there is a lot of talk of genetics being part of the cause. ideally HDL for seniors (me being in that group) is around the 60 from what is listed , This will be a discussion with my Cardio in upcoming meeting.

@mayoconnectuser1

I am not a medical professional.

Here's a summary by Mayo - https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/hdl-cholesterol/art-20046388#:~:text=Higher%20levels%20of%20HDL%20cholesterol,your%20bloodstream%20attached%20to%20proteins.

And, an excerpt from that link.
"Oddly enough, people who naturally have extremely high HDL levels — above 100 mg/dL (2.5mmol/L) — appear to be at higher risk of heart disease. This may be caused by genetic factors."

Jump to this post

I’m going to cut back on olive oil and coq10. I do drink beers everyday.

@l0lag0lag0b3

Hello beaverstreefarm
Recent test shows: HDL 90, LDL 52, Spoke to my Cardio, 1st question do you drink alcohol... my answer is NO + had a kidney transplant nearing 5 years before that I had a failing kidney ...On reading reading reading medical papers...there is some talk that excess use of olive oil & possibly coq10. In my case could be applicable.. not sure .. but have cut down Olive oil & Coq10 a bit & reduced my Cardio workouts to 4 days ... let's see how that goes.. yes there is a lot of talk of genetics being part of the cause. ideally HDL for seniors (me being in that group) is around the 60 from what is listed , This will be a discussion with my Cardio in upcoming meeting.

Jump to this post

I’m going to cut back on olive oil and coq10. It will be June before my next blood test.

@beaverstreefarm

I’m going to cut back on olive oil and coq10. It will be June before my next blood test.

Jump to this post

In my view, you should get tested a bit earlier, these days you can get a quest test from requestatest.com by paying from your pocket or HSA, sometimes I do that. Best

Please sign in or register to post a reply.