Living with Neuropathy - Welcome to the group

Welcome to the Neuropathy group.
This is a welcoming, safe place where you can meet other people who are dealing with neuropathy. Let’s learn from each other and share stories about living well with neuropathy, coping with the challenges and offering tips.

I’m Colleen, and I’m the moderator of this group, and Community Director of Connect. Chances are you’ll to be greeted by volunteer patient Mentor John (@johnbishop) and fellow members when you post to this group. Learn more about Moderators and Mentors on Connect.

We look forward to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.
Let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What concerns would you like to talk about?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

I have an apt scheduled- in June I started feelings prickly sensation in my hands and feet, then it stopped until the end of September. At that time I started with what I call buzzing sensations- it’s not prickly so that’s the only way I can describe it. I go to sleep with these sensations but when I wake up before I move, I don’t feel it until my feet hit the ground, then it’s non stop for the rest of the day. However I have noticed the last few days right as I’m waking up, I do have slight buzzing but in my right foot. Has anyone experienced this with neuropathy? Are symptoms different from person to person? My mom and sis both diagnosed with this but said they feel the sensations even upon waking. Their only diff is my moms feet burn and my sisters do not. I’ve driven myself crazy researching and come up with more questions than answers. TIA

In short spurts it has. I take a very soft yoga but some movements cause pain. Dunno if that’s helpful but I move forward with it. Meditation is calming and can help my anxiety re the pain. Always hoping that something will click in. Presently I’m a rather discouraged woman. That attitude does not help pain as you can imagine. Bless you for the websites, I will follow through.

My Peripheral Neuropathy Story

My struggle with Peripheral Neuropathy symptoms started in the mid 1980’s when I was around 45 years old. Symptoms have progressed very slowly from numbness, burning and pain in my feet only when standing on very hard surfaces to my current long and confusing list of often debilitating symptoms. I lived with the foot pain for years without seeking any help but finally in 2003 the pain at night had gotten so severe that I couldn’t sleep and I reached out for help. I was fortunate enough to find a good neurologist who confirmed a Peripheral Neuropathy diagnosis and prescribed
600 mg of Gabapentin. This helped dramatically with the pain though it took me many months to adjust to some of the “drugged feeling” side effects.

I cruised along for many years with only moderate, Gabapentin controlled pain. My very helpful Neurologist moved away and from time to time, as pain levels slowly increased, my PCP increased the prescribed dosage up to 1200 to 1500 mg per day. During this time I saw 3 different Neurologists each confirming the PN diagnosis but only offering to increase Gabapentin levels. None of them seemed to take my situation very seriously.

Then in around 2007 I started suffering very unpleasant stomach and gut motility problems. After extensive gastroenterological testing no clear cause was found other than my PNA’s opinion that it might have something to do with nerve functioning. From that point onward my symptoms began to increase and they surfaced on and off with greater frequency. My symptom list includes: Chronic Fatigue, Weakness and greatly reduced stamina, poor coordination when walking, strange spacey sensations in my head, foot and ankle pain, sharp needle like pains in random locations, itching, diminished memory and inability to think clearly and stomach and gut distress.

Then in 2022 when the frequency of symptom “attacks” reached around every other week and usually lasted for 3 to 5 days I got a referral to a new neurologist who did extensive blood work, electrodiagnostic nerve conduction testing and a foot and ankle skin biopsy. The resulting diagnosis was Idiopathic Small Fiber Neuropathy with Polyneuropathy. His diagnosis included autonomic nerve problems especially related to stomach and lower tract.

So now in late 2022 the symptom roller coaster continues. I am very fortunate that most of the time 1200mg of Gabapentin helps control foot pain but all of the other symptoms come and go every few days and knock me out of commission for 2 to 4 days each time. Like so many others, with a similar symptom description, I am quite lost as to how to proceed. It seems that currently there is no real help to be found from the medical community though I am hopeful that current research will lead to some degree of relief for us all.

Thankfully I can share this struggle with others who understand our plight from direct experience. I get more help from reading this Mayo Clinic website than any other source.

@xian121905

I have an apt scheduled- in June I started feelings prickly sensation in my hands and feet, then it stopped until the end of September. At that time I started with what I call buzzing sensations- it’s not prickly so that’s the only way I can describe it. I go to sleep with these sensations but when I wake up before I move, I don’t feel it until my feet hit the ground, then it’s non stop for the rest of the day. However I have noticed the last few days right as I’m waking up, I do have slight buzzing but in my right foot. Has anyone experienced this with neuropathy? Are symptoms different from person to person? My mom and sis both diagnosed with this but said they feel the sensations even upon waking. Their only diff is my moms feet burn and my sisters do not. I’ve driven myself crazy researching and come up with more questions than answers. TIA

Jump to this post

Welcome Tia @xian121905, You will notice that we moved your post into an existing discussion on neuropathy so that you can meet other members discussing their symptoms. You are not alone with your symptoms. Symptoms do vary from person to person depending on their diagnosis and other conditions. Dr. Google can make you crazy on your research journey. Here are my favorite sites to learn more about neuropathy.

-- Neuropathy Commons: https://neuropathycommons.org/
-- Foundation for Peripheral Neuropathy: https://www.foundationforpn.org/
-- My favorite search tool - Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/

You mentioned that you have an appointment schedule in June. Is it with a neurologist? Have you had any tests yet?

@jhumm

My struggle with Peripheral Neuropathy symptoms started in the mid 1980’s when I was around 45 years old. Symptoms have progressed very slowly from numbness, burning and pain in my feet only when standing on very hard surfaces to my current long and confusing list of often debilitating symptoms. I lived with the foot pain for years without seeking any help but finally in 2003 the pain at night had gotten so severe that I couldn’t sleep and I reached out for help. I was fortunate enough to find a good neurologist who confirmed a Peripheral Neuropathy diagnosis and prescribed
600 mg of Gabapentin. This helped dramatically with the pain though it took me many months to adjust to some of the “drugged feeling” side effects.

I cruised along for many years with only moderate, Gabapentin controlled pain. My very helpful Neurologist moved away and from time to time, as pain levels slowly increased, my PCP increased the prescribed dosage up to 1200 to 1500 mg per day. During this time I saw 3 different Neurologists each confirming the PN diagnosis but only offering to increase Gabapentin levels. None of them seemed to take my situation very seriously.

Then in around 2007 I started suffering very unpleasant stomach and gut motility problems. After extensive gastroenterological testing no clear cause was found other than my PNA’s opinion that it might have something to do with nerve functioning. From that point onward my symptoms began to increase and they surfaced on and off with greater frequency. My symptom list includes: Chronic Fatigue, Weakness and greatly reduced stamina, poor coordination when walking, strange spacey sensations in my head, foot and ankle pain, sharp needle like pains in random locations, itching, diminished memory and inability to think clearly and stomach and gut distress.

Then in 2022 when the frequency of symptom “attacks” reached around every other week and usually lasted for 3 to 5 days I got a referral to a new neurologist who did extensive blood work, electrodiagnostic nerve conduction testing and a foot and ankle skin biopsy. The resulting diagnosis was Idiopathic Small Fiber Neuropathy with Polyneuropathy. His diagnosis included autonomic nerve problems especially related to stomach and lower tract.

So now in late 2022 the symptom roller coaster continues. I am very fortunate that most of the time 1200mg of Gabapentin helps control foot pain but all of the other symptoms come and go every few days and knock me out of commission for 2 to 4 days each time. Like so many others, with a similar symptom description, I am quite lost as to how to proceed. It seems that currently there is no real help to be found from the medical community though I am hopeful that current research will lead to some degree of relief for us all.

Thankfully I can share this struggle with others who understand our plight from direct experience. I get more help from reading this Mayo Clinic website than any other source.

Jump to this post

Reply @jhumm sorry to hear about your situation which is somewhat similar to mine. Although my Small fiber neuropathy is also labelled as "ideopethic" I suspect ciprofloxacin antibiotics to be the culprit in my case. I have severe pain and numbness at the bottom of my feet with numerous other issues similar to what you have described. I have tried all kind of therapies and remedies but to no avail. I suggest you become member of a facebook group called "Fluoroquinolones Toxicity ", which I am sure can give you additional ideas based on experiences of that group. Since we are labelled as "ideopethic " we need to explore all avenues that are available. I wish you a speedy and permanent relief.

@jhumm

Jump to this post

I totally understand. Good luck and let us know if you find anything that helps. Gabapentin was a miracle for a month or so. Thank you for sharing.

@nukhan

Reply @jhumm sorry to hear about your situation which is somewhat similar to mine. Although my Small fiber neuropathy is also labelled as "ideopethic" I suspect ciprofloxacin antibiotics to be the culprit in my case. I have severe pain and numbness at the bottom of my feet with numerous other issues similar to what you have described. I have tried all kind of therapies and remedies but to no avail. I suggest you become member of a facebook group called "Fluoroquinolones Toxicity ", which I am sure can give you additional ideas based on experiences of that group. Since we are labelled as "ideopethic " we need to explore all avenues that are available. I wish you a speedy and permanent relief.

Jump to this post

Reply to @nukhan Thank you for the information on the Facebook group "Fluoroquinolones Toxicity." I will take a close look. Discovering the cause or causes for our neuropathic suffering is the potentially breakthrough step in our search for relief. I try to stay open to any possible cause but that in itself can be a frustrating and difficult journey with few solid leads. There is no doubt that PN in all of its various forms is an everyday challenge for us all. Stay strong, have many more good days than bad and I hope you break free of this burden very soon.

@colonial1

I totally understand. Good luck and let us know if you find anything that helps. Gabapentin was a miracle for a month or so. Thank you for sharing.

Jump to this post

I will definitely pass along anything I find that might help relieve our mutual suffering. So far Gabapentin for pain moderation has been the only useful tool I have found. Some of the other symptoms I have mentioned have actually been the most debilitating for me for the past few years. It might be that finding a reliable way to begin to repair damaged nerves, regardless of cause, could be the most direct route out of this pain filled maze. Stay strong and keep a hopeful heart.

@johnbishop

Welcome Tia @xian121905, You will notice that we moved your post into an existing discussion on neuropathy so that you can meet other members discussing their symptoms. You are not alone with your symptoms. Symptoms do vary from person to person depending on their diagnosis and other conditions. Dr. Google can make you crazy on your research journey. Here are my favorite sites to learn more about neuropathy.

-- Neuropathy Commons: https://neuropathycommons.org/
-- Foundation for Peripheral Neuropathy: https://www.foundationforpn.org/
-- My favorite search tool - Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/

You mentioned that you have an appointment schedule in June. Is it with a neurologist? Have you had any tests yet?

Jump to this post

Hi, I had testing done a few years back but nothing currently. I’m hoping the neuro can help. Are there tests I should ask for specifically

@jhumm

I will definitely pass along anything I find that might help relieve our mutual suffering. So far Gabapentin for pain moderation has been the only useful tool I have found. Some of the other symptoms I have mentioned have actually been the most debilitating for me for the past few years. It might be that finding a reliable way to begin to repair damaged nerves, regardless of cause, could be the most direct route out of this pain filled maze. Stay strong and keep a hopeful heart.

Jump to this post

Blessings and Forza! Strength in Italian. Keep on Truckin’

Please sign in or register to post a reply.