Living with Neuropathy - Welcome to the group

Welcome to the Neuropathy group.
This is a welcoming, safe place where you can meet other people who are dealing with neuropathy. Let’s learn from each other and share stories about living well with neuropathy, coping with the challenges and offering tips.

I’m Colleen, and I’m the moderator of this group, and Community Director of Connect. Chances are you’ll to be greeted by volunteer patient Mentor John (@johnbishop) and fellow members when you post to this group. Learn more about Moderators and Mentors on Connect.

We look forward to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.
Let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What concerns would you like to talk about?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

@johnbishop

@bustrbrwn22, thanks for reporting this. @colleenyoung can check to see if you email is being bounced.

Jump to this post

There are a lot of issues with Google and gmail right now.

@faithwalker007

There are a lot of issues with Google and gmail right now.

Jump to this post

Google was hacked

In reply to @faithwalker007 "Google was hacked" + (show)
@faithwalker007

Google was hacked

Jump to this post

@faithwalker007 @bustrbrwn22 - Googles issues caused many members with gmail addresses to have their email disabled due to bouncebacks. We are in the process of identifying and enabling users who had their email address disabled. If you know of a member who is not receiving notifications please have them contact us using the Contact a Community Moderator form - https://connect.mayoclinic.org/contact-a-community-moderator/

Thanks! John

@bustrbrwn22

@colleenyoung. @johnbishop. Hi Colleen. I stopped receiving my email notifications after John Bishop’s reply on Wednesday night. Could it be that my email bounced back to your server as undeliverable? I see sporadically over the months some of the emails go to my junk folder by my gmail account. Please help!

Jump to this post

Hi @bustrbrwn22, Gmail did have issues this week that caused problems for members with Gmail addresses. Anyone with a Gmail address who was active on Mayo Clinic Connect may have noticed an interruption to their email notifications. We are going through all the subscriptions and reinstating bounced emails. You should start receiving email notifications again soon if they haven't started already.

In the meantime, you can check your notifications on the Connect website itself.
- On a desktop or laptop, click the bell icon in the upper right corner.
- On mobile, click the menu (☰) icon, then click Notifications.

My cousin is coming to visit me shortly who has diabetes so I was reading about food that lowers blood sugar and discovered drinking water just after getting up and eating cruciferous veggies has been shown to lower blood glucose levels. It can also help prevent and reverse diabetic neuropathy.
Just wondering if anybody has experienced this and found it to help.
Jake

Is it possible to put this comment in the diabetes section to see what people with the condition think?

@jakedduck1

My cousin is coming to visit me shortly who has diabetes so I was reading about food that lowers blood sugar and discovered drinking water just after getting up and eating cruciferous veggies has been shown to lower blood glucose levels. It can also help prevent and reverse diabetic neuropathy.
Jake

Is it possible to put this comment in the diabetes section to see what people with the condition think?

Jump to this post

Hi Leonard @jakedduck1 -- Here's the discussion you might want to post your comment in one or both of these discussions.

- Diabetic Neuropathy progressing?: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/diabetic-neuropathy-progressing/
- Neuropathy due to long untreated diabetes: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/neuropathy-2/

@jakedduck1

Jake

Jump to this post

Hi @jakedduck1 I have neuropathy and muscle weakness but not due to diabetes. I have discovered by trial and error that a low carbohydrate diet makes a significant difference for me. Besides lowering the level of my neuropathy pain it also stops the dry mouth and my sensitivity to certain tastes. It is not easy to stay on a low carbohydrate diet because I do not consume artificial sweeteners. For me, it is well worth the benefits of planning low carb meals. Toni

@avmcbellar

Hi @jakedduck1 I have neuropathy and muscle weakness but not due to diabetes. I have discovered by trial and error that a low carbohydrate diet makes a significant difference for me. Besides lowering the level of my neuropathy pain it also stops the dry mouth and my sensitivity to certain tastes. It is not easy to stay on a low carbohydrate diet because I do not consume artificial sweeteners. For me, it is well worth the benefits of planning low carb meals. Toni

Jump to this post

@avmcbellar
Thank you for the information.
My severe Neuropathy pain stopped a decade or two ago. But I'm curious if the low carb diet helps numbness from Neuropathy? That's what causes my problems now. I have numbness from my feet to my waist.
I enjoy my cousin but I certainly don’t enjoy cooking a no sugar low carbohydrate diet for him. I had candy, cookies, & fruit for dinner. I think I’ll go get some more candy and cookies for dessert now.
so much for a low sugar low carbohydrate diet.
Thanks much,
Jake

Latest news from the Foundation for Peripheral Neuropathy - December 22, 2020

FPN Applauds Congressional Action to Increase Research for Peripheral Neuropathy: https://www.foundationforpn.org/2020/12/22/fpn-applauds-congressional-action-to-increase-research-for-peripheral-neuropathy/

@jakedduck1

@avmcbellar
Thank you for the information.
My severe Neuropathy pain stopped a decade or two ago. But I'm curious if the low carb diet helps numbness from Neuropathy? That's what causes my problems now. I have numbness from my feet to my waist.
I enjoy my cousin but I certainly don’t enjoy cooking a no sugar low carbohydrate diet for him. I had candy, cookies, & fruit for dinner. I think I’ll go get some more candy and cookies for dessert now.
so much for a low sugar low carbohydrate diet.
Thanks much,
Jake

Jump to this post

You’re welcome @jakedduck1! I agree, a low carbohydrate diet is not easy when you enjoy candy and cookies. I do it for the benefits. For one thing It reduces inflammation. That is a plus no matter the ailment. Everyone is different but I feel a decrease with the numbness and burning. Also, I am not highly sensitive to the sweet tastes in foods. Before, no matter what I ate, all I could taste was the sweetness. Nothing tasted good to me like the way I knew it. A low carbohydrate diet helps decrease the symptoms of neurological disorders. The Keto diet which is low in carbohydrates was used back in the 1930s or so to lower the occurrences of seizures. This was before pills were developed to do the same. People preferred the pills because it was much easier to control the seizures than following a low carb diet. Needless to say the Keto diet became less popular when the pills came out. It is used now to lose weight. Sugar or carbs is addicting. The more you have the more you want. Did you notice an increase of numbness after consuming the candy and cookies? You can try eliminating the sweets for a couple of days to see if you get a decrease in numbness, that is, if you want to change your diet. I once tried the “south beach diet” where the first 2 weeks you avoid eating foods with a high carb count. It was hard at first but in the end I did not care for the sweet foods. It is up to you. It all depends on what you consider more important to you. This time of year is particularly difficult to do without the cookies, cakes, and candies. Don’t forget the hot chocolate in colder climates. Toni🤓

Please sign in or register to post a reply.