Living with Neuropathy - Welcome to the group

Welcome to the Neuropathy group.
This is a welcoming, safe place where you can meet other people who are dealing with neuropathy. Let’s learn from each other and share stories about living well with neuropathy, coping with the challenges and offering tips.

I’m Colleen, and I’m the moderator of this group, and Community Director of Connect. Chances are you’ll to be greeted by volunteer patient Mentor John (@johnbishop) and fellow members when you post to this group. Learn more about Moderators and Mentors on Connect.

We look forward to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.
Let’s chat. Why not start by introducing yourself? What concerns would you like to talk about?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

@wisfloj

After bloodwork I was told 2000 mcg. The next bloodwork indicated my level was too high so I needed to reduce it to 1000 mcg. a day. **METHYLCOBALAMIN is the recommended form and My doctor also recommended the sub lingual form. I get the brand Solgar from Amazon. Apparently as we age we need to supplement B12. Unfortunately this did not seem to affect my peripheral neuropathy symptoms, but I still take it

Jump to this post

@wisfloj. Are you a vegetarian or vegan? My friend is a vegan and he takes sublingual B12. Most vegetarians and vegans are B12 deficient because they cannot get enough B12 from their diet. I am eating less meat and I take 1000mcg, the same form as yours. It's a lozenge that dissolves in my mouth.

@otisco. As each of us is unique, you really should get a blood test and speak with your doctor about it. I have sfpn, and blood tests consistently show B is within normal range. Many things can be harmful if dosage is too high.

Jim

@otisco

I have peripheral neuropathy - idiopathic sensorimotor axonal neuropathy. How much b12 is recommended daily? Thank you.

Jump to this post

@otisco I have Small Fiber Peripheral Polyneuropathy as a result from B12 deficiency which slowly developed through my forties. Now that I've been regulated through injections, I take oral B12 2,000 mcg per day and a daily B Complex with 30 mcg B6. Too much B6 creates PN, too little B12 creates PN, it's a balancing act, one that your Dr. should be aware of and advise on. Dangerous area. Good luck.

I have been diagnosed with small fiber idiopathic peripheral neuropathy. I would appreciate hearing about any experience with immunoglobulin treatments.

@ginger7

I have been diagnosed with small fiber idiopathic peripheral neuropathy. I would appreciate hearing about any experience with immunoglobulin treatments.

Jump to this post

Hello @ginger7, Welcome to Mayo Clinic Connect. There is another discussion you may be interested in reading and learning what others have shared about IVIG Infustions: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/ivig-infusions/

@sparshall, @arnrob, @jimhd and others may be able to share their experience with IVIG treatments with you.

Has your doctor recommended the treatments for you?

@johnbishop

Hello @ginger7, Welcome to Mayo Clinic Connect. There is another discussion you may be interested in reading and learning what others have shared about IVIG Infustions: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/ivig-infusions/

@sparshall, @arnrob, @jimhd and others may be able to share their experience with IVIG treatments with you.

Has your doctor recommended the treatments for you?

Jump to this post

Yes.

Hi, my name is John. I am 67 years old. This is my first post. I have not been diagnosed with Peripheral Neurology (PN). In the last several weeks I have noticed some "burning" sensation on my feet and ankles, particularly when I lie in bed at night. So I went to Dr. Google and it pointed me to PN. I mentioned it to my doctor the other day since he indicated that I have prediabetes. He said to keep an eye on it and he indicated that there is medication for that. Any initial thoughts and comments for a newbie are greatly appreciated. Thank you Colleen and John for moderating this site.

would be interesting to know what medication he is referring to: for the PN or for the prediabetes -- ask questions now

@lois6524

would be interesting to know what medication he is referring to: for the PN or for the prediabetes -- ask questions now

Jump to this post

I have a call into his office to see what medication he was thinking about. Is there a "hallmark" medication that is commonly prescribed?

@testudo

Hi, my name is John. I am 67 years old. This is my first post. I have not been diagnosed with Peripheral Neurology (PN). In the last several weeks I have noticed some "burning" sensation on my feet and ankles, particularly when I lie in bed at night. So I went to Dr. Google and it pointed me to PN. I mentioned it to my doctor the other day since he indicated that I have prediabetes. He said to keep an eye on it and he indicated that there is medication for that. Any initial thoughts and comments for a newbie are greatly appreciated. Thank you Colleen and John for moderating this site.

Jump to this post

Hello John and welcome to Connect! I am fairly new and still not proficient in getting around but am making progress.

I hope and pray that you learn as much as I 'm learning here on Connect and I know you will receive a great deal of support and encouragement.

Many blessings, Sunnyflower

Please sign in or register to post a reply.