Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@mycnctds

Great idea! I clicked Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule and got "page can't be found" message. Help, pls? Thank you, Walker

Jump to this post

@mycnctds I’m glad i saw your comment! Here is the schedule again. Hope you’ll like it!
https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

In the beginning of the year I decided to walk 8000 steps per day. My phone app tracks every step I make. I’m slightly over my daily goal for the year.

I wanted to combine walking with upper body exercises. I read an article about walking with a backpack. I put 18lbs of books in my backpack and now do some of my walking with it. I have osteoporosis in my spine and want to strengthen my back. It’s going well so far - my back feels like I am getting a real workout! I like doing it every other day though, so that my back can rest.

Becky, I just finished treatment for endometrial cancer and want to get my strength and confidence back so, yes, to walking! I love to walk in nature and the dangerous heat we have been having in northeast Florida is not helping so I can use the accountability! I also have knee problems so need to break up my week by getting to the gym in my apartment complex for the recumbent elliptical and recumbent bike. How do you want to check in with each other? Here or some other way?

@kathyholmes

Becky, I just finished treatment for endometrial cancer and want to get my strength and confidence back so, yes, to walking! I love to walk in nature and the dangerous heat we have been having in northeast Florida is not helping so I can use the accountability! I also have knee problems so need to break up my week by getting to the gym in my apartment complex for the recumbent elliptical and recumbent bike. How do you want to check in with each other? Here or some other way?

Jump to this post

Hi @kathyholmes. I'm tagging @becsbuddy to make sure she sees your message to her.

Here's the walking schedule
https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

Check in and tell fellow walking partners how you're doing. Where are you hoping to do your steps today? I look forward to seeing you post later today how you did.

@kathyholmes

Jump to this post

@alive. @kathyholmes I’m so glad you’re able to join the wacky walkers! You’re doing a lot better than me, so I’d better get started. We usually compare notes, but never compete. It’s just a fun workout.
I’m going to ask other members to tell you how they’ve been doing. @imallears. @loll. @sueinmn @moi2558 @jaglover10 let the new members know how you’re doing!
Can you check in at the end of the week, or sooner, to tell us what you did and how you’re feeling?

@becsbuddy

@alive. @kathyholmes I’m so glad you’re able to join the wacky walkers! You’re doing a lot better than me, so I’d better get started. We usually compare notes, but never compete. It’s just a fun workout.
I’m going to ask other members to tell you how they’ve been doing. @imallears. @loll. @sueinmn @moi2558 @jaglover10 let the new members know how you’re doing!
Can you check in at the end of the week, or sooner, to tell us what you did and how you’re feeling?

Jump to this post

Of course! I am not competitive! I love to encourage and be encouraged! I definitely will share at the end of the week. I got a jump start this week since my husband is traveling for work and the dog still needs to be walked. 🙂

@becsbuddy

Jump to this post

@becsbuddy

I’m still a daily walker after all these years. In this horrid heat and humidity I am out the door by 6:30 but only do a 1.5 mile lately. Cooler weather will get me back to 2.5 miles. I aim for 5000 minimum steps before I really start the day and sometimes do laps around the house before I go out. I have lighted bracelets when it’s dark out. Always been an early riser. I find it really sets up my day and is now such a habit . On occasional mornings that I have an early appointment I will get those 5000 in at some point. We live in Florida…Tampa Bay are and it’s already 80+ muggy degrees at 6 am…..exhausting. I don’t know why people jog in the middle of the day. I can barely jog through our main gate.
At 6:30 there is an occasional runner or dog walker I meet…more so in the cooler weather.
So start the journey and don’t stop if you are already pounding the pavement.

FL Mary😅

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site. I am almost 70 yrs this month. I teach exercise to seniors and I also teach meditation and visualization classes for a cancer non profit organization here in California. Having always been an advocate for exercise as well as addressing our mental health since both are connected I have started a you tube channel called Old Vine Zen. I began this channel primarily for my cancer patients to bring them a sense of peace and to lower their anxiety but recently thought, don't we all need this in our lives? Now that 70 is right around the corner and I'm experiencing some of the challenges of being older, I thought perhaps I can help more people. Come join me. We sit, i talk a bit about life and then we close our eyes and I lead you through a short meditation practice. I would love to meet you!!!

@becsbuddy

Jump to this post

Hi Becky - I'm with you -welcome to all the new walkers - my own walks have been abbreviated until this week due to heat & poor air quality.
Starting Saturday the temps dropped nicely, so 3 of the last four have been "adventure" days - an Art Fair with family in a hilly city park on Saturday, keeping up with the 2 littles. Yesterday my friend and I hit the trails in our Regional Park for over 3 miles. Today was another adventure with older grandson, his "extra gramma" (my friend) and the 2 of us, we hit a nearby glacial park, with plenty of rock scrambling for 3 of us and a lovely woodland walk. Tomorrow we rest, then I plan to continue at a more sedate pace for a few days...
By the way, when we started this group the first time, my early walks were only 1/2 mile as I battled back from a long illness...so progress is possible. But as my grandson says "Grammie still can't run fast" - at over 70 with arthritis and bad lungs, I'm okay with that!
Sue

I want to walk more! I tried a zoom walking program this summer but the schedule didn’t work for me at all and added stress. That tells me I need flexibility in my approach. I’m fortunate to have indoor hallways to walk in plus outdoor sidewalks.
I walk some every day but want to build walking strength. I have an ankle, hip, and knee replacement, and osteoarthritis, all of which slow me down at times. I need to consider my goals and consider how to be more consistent with walking.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.