Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@sueinmn

Not so funny. They took away an uncle's walker when he kept escaping for outdoor walks and replaced it with one that had no wheels so he couldn't get far. (He had spent most of his life outdoors and got restless too) His son demanded that they return it and take him out every day for a stroll, regardless of weather.

Jump to this post

@sueimn, and all.....Yeah for the son! How dare they. As one who worked for years with older folks, if I found any of our staff did that, just because they didn't want to be bothered chasing him or going after him and certainly didn't want to go outside. That attitude is far too prevelant in retirement communities....oops, getting riled up herel. Independence is soooooooo important. remember I told you about telling my sinus surgeon I wasn't getting another, #15, covid swab in my poor old nose. We compromised and getting a saliva test; dadblastit, I don't ever see anyone so how can I get blasted covid? Laurie, enjoy your walks with your helpers. bless your independent little heart. elizabeth

I went out at 9pm so my walking total today is 3.6 miles.
I have an hour with the trainer tomorrow. I suppose I should be grateful that I can do it, but.........
Jake

@ess77

@sueinmn, and all...I wish I'd gotten the help I needed earlier before the Mayo doc just looked at my hands/wrists and gave me some daytime hand/thumb braces and nighttime hard hand/wrist braces. They do help relieve some pain, but I have almost no use of my right thumb, limited use of left, and limited use of hands....haven't opened jars w/o some kind of help for years. When I get a bottle of water or tea at Mayo or whatever, I ask for help. Everyone is so good to help but I hate it. Hands are hurting now since I've written a couple of notes. Worth it! to chat a bit...love you all and send you handsful of blessings. Elizabeth

Jump to this post

@ess77
Hi there Lizzy👋
I have Grammarly the free version. It's wrong quite a bit. I thought about upgrading to the $100 or so version but I'm afraid it will be wrong also.
Do you have arthritis in your hands?
Jake

@jakedduck1

I went out at 9pm so my walking total today is 3.6 miles.
I have an hour with the trainer tomorrow. I suppose I should be grateful that I can do it, but.........
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 Hello, Leonard.....Be thankful for that trainer! I'd love to have a trainer to guide me and help me get stronger, learn some secrets to help me walk again.....good for you. Grammarly is pretty good for my needs. It helps since arthritis in my hands, fingers, wrist, etc, really keeps me making mistakes on the keys and it's simple. I have no desire to have anything I pay for in this area. this helps as much as I care about it. love it's free.

haven't chatted lately with anyone but I really miss you. hope you're doing better and seizures are better controlled. as much as is possible. I don't miss having seizures or taking the Lamictal. It worked nicely, helped for the last 20ish years, but glad to be off it and all the other stuff that interfered with me being me.

Leonard, I'm more the 'real' me than I've been all my life. First time ever I feel like what you see is really me. Can you understand that? sure is a good feeling. and, I like myself better. think faster, clearer, etc. such a surprise blessing,
I'm working w/integrated medicine now. It's wonderful, a true gift to me. I have weekly acupuncture, working with a nutritionist, not seeing a 'wellness counselor whom I think would be very helpful, but Medicare either doesn't pay at all or not enough for Mayo to charge Medicare-self pay only at about $400+...therefore, I'm not seeing her,

the director of the dept put me on a new probiotic, Biome Probiotic Colon Support, online, now from Probulin. He said he's had good results with patients who didn't respond well to others, I've been diagnosed now with IBS combined, with constipation & diarrhea, mostly diarrhea. They don't know why this disease occurs, (anxiety, stress, spices,???), but for the first time in 30+, years, life is closer to livable.

I don't know if you've tried acupuncture at all, but it is worth a ck into to see if it may help with any number of things: seizures, anxiety, depression, pain, internal issues...I'm having improvement in several areas - anxiety, muscle relaxation, back pain, neck pain, arthritis pain, headaches, and whatever internal issues, don't know what but I'm truly impressed with this treatment I didn't believe worked. I was wrong. It's self-pay, too, $175/session. I'm paying, it's worth it. Even today, the day after, I'm calmer, less pain, etc.

Enjoy all the goodies from Halloween and Lori. Hope all is ok and your days are blessed. Elizabeth

@ess77

@jakedduck1 Hello, Leonard.....Be thankful for that trainer! I'd love to have a trainer to guide me and help me get stronger, learn some secrets to help me walk again.....good for you. Grammarly is pretty good for my needs. It helps since arthritis in my hands, fingers, wrist, etc, really keeps me making mistakes on the keys and it's simple. I have no desire to have anything I pay for in this area. this helps as much as I care about it. love it's free.

haven't chatted lately with anyone but I really miss you. hope you're doing better and seizures are better controlled. as much as is possible. I don't miss having seizures or taking the Lamictal. It worked nicely, helped for the last 20ish years, but glad to be off it and all the other stuff that interfered with me being me.

Leonard, I'm more the 'real' me than I've been all my life. First time ever I feel like what you see is really me. Can you understand that? sure is a good feeling. and, I like myself better. think faster, clearer, etc. such a surprise blessing,
I'm working w/integrated medicine now. It's wonderful, a true gift to me. I have weekly acupuncture, working with a nutritionist, not seeing a 'wellness counselor whom I think would be very helpful, but Medicare either doesn't pay at all or not enough for Mayo to charge Medicare-self pay only at about $400+...therefore, I'm not seeing her,

the director of the dept put me on a new probiotic, Biome Probiotic Colon Support, online, now from Probulin. He said he's had good results with patients who didn't respond well to others, I've been diagnosed now with IBS combined, with constipation & diarrhea, mostly diarrhea. They don't know why this disease occurs, (anxiety, stress, spices,???), but for the first time in 30+, years, life is closer to livable.

I don't know if you've tried acupuncture at all, but it is worth a ck into to see if it may help with any number of things: seizures, anxiety, depression, pain, internal issues...I'm having improvement in several areas - anxiety, muscle relaxation, back pain, neck pain, arthritis pain, headaches, and whatever internal issues, don't know what but I'm truly impressed with this treatment I didn't believe worked. I was wrong. It's self-pay, too, $175/session. I'm paying, it's worth it. Even today, the day after, I'm calmer, less pain, etc.

Enjoy all the goodies from Halloween and Lori. Hope all is ok and your days are blessed. Elizabeth

Jump to this post

@becsbuddy, @loribmt, @sueinmn, @artscaping, @jakedduck1, and the whole crew....Howdy! Saw the sinus doc yesterday and helped her understand the problems with my recovery. surgery was 9/9 and still not healed. Have some inflammation and have really been set back on my heels with this.

Tachycardia, other heart things I can't spell, but all will be fine. Had 2 EKGs, 2 weeks wearing a monitor, and next Monday I go in for a nuclear heart scan. Really don't want to do this, but suppose I will. My HR is wild these days, 160 for a couple of hours a few weeks ago, craziness as I've not had these kinds of heart issues. Pretty much staying upstairs resting until the scan next week.

I spent all day at Mayo yesterday with stuff, got my flu shot and shingles vaccine. I don't have shingles! Glory be...what a time/ saved by MM, THC/CBD lotion. The only thing that stopped the agony and healed the blisters and rash. Amazing. PCP couldn't stop laughing, told his staff. Glad I could help him out and teach him a solution.No to nasty drugs, no antibiotics, love it.

Here's the news....While at Mayo yesterday, I had a healthy, delicious lunch in DR and then walked...YES, Walked between 2 buildings and enjoyed the lovely art and plants and folks. Lovely day, in the low 70's, same today. I think It's going up to 63 tomorrow! Wow...I may be able to use my perky walker outside tomorrow for an on-the-property walk.

New strength coming my way this week. Found a nasal rinse I can use w/o burning my sinuses like crazy. Costly, painful trip online to find one of 3 that the doc suggested; i like her, but surgeons seem to have different attitudes; I got no help from her or staff with problems at home.
think she heard me yesterday;

Infectious disease doc referred me for shots, that I got. referred me to Physical Med for help with pelvic dysfunction problems. One at Mayo. Had problems with outside PT, actually caused pain and other problems. So, doing it at Mayo, and he'll refer me to my therapy pool after I'm a bit stronger.
GOODY!
Love to all and blessings. Elizabeth

@ess77

@becsbuddy, @loribmt, @sueinmn, @artscaping, @jakedduck1, and the whole crew....Howdy! Saw the sinus doc yesterday and helped her understand the problems with my recovery. surgery was 9/9 and still not healed. Have some inflammation and have really been set back on my heels with this.

Tachycardia, other heart things I can't spell, but all will be fine. Had 2 EKGs, 2 weeks wearing a monitor, and next Monday I go in for a nuclear heart scan. Really don't want to do this, but suppose I will. My HR is wild these days, 160 for a couple of hours a few weeks ago, craziness as I've not had these kinds of heart issues. Pretty much staying upstairs resting until the scan next week.

I spent all day at Mayo yesterday with stuff, got my flu shot and shingles vaccine. I don't have shingles! Glory be...what a time/ saved by MM, THC/CBD lotion. The only thing that stopped the agony and healed the blisters and rash. Amazing. PCP couldn't stop laughing, told his staff. Glad I could help him out and teach him a solution.No to nasty drugs, no antibiotics, love it.

Here's the news....While at Mayo yesterday, I had a healthy, delicious lunch in DR and then walked...YES, Walked between 2 buildings and enjoyed the lovely art and plants and folks. Lovely day, in the low 70's, same today. I think It's going up to 63 tomorrow! Wow...I may be able to use my perky walker outside tomorrow for an on-the-property walk.

New strength coming my way this week. Found a nasal rinse I can use w/o burning my sinuses like crazy. Costly, painful trip online to find one of 3 that the doc suggested; i like her, but surgeons seem to have different attitudes; I got no help from her or staff with problems at home.

Infectious disease doc referred me for shots, that I got. referred me to Physical Med for help with pelvic dysfunction problems. One at Mayo. Had problems with outside PT, actually caused pain and other problems. So, doing it at Mayo, and he'll refer me to my therapy pool after I'm a bit stronger.
GOODY!

Jump to this post

@ess77
Jeez Lizzy, your an insurance companies' worst nightmare.
Glad your heart rate went down on it's own.
My cousin’s heart rate climbed to 260 and they cardoverted him. But it never went below 160.
I should take a water therapy class but I probably wouldn't.
You take care of yourself,
Jake

@ess77

GOODY!

Jump to this post

Man, Elizabeth, you sure have been in the laundry tub, been scrubbed on the washboard and run through the ringer these past months! I’m sorry you’re still having those sinus issues after 2 months…along with everything else? You’re always so upbeat no matter what! I’m sure hoping you get a break soon and have some pain free days!

Love that you’re getting out and about with your spiffy walker! Enjoying the sunshine and fresh air is always a day brightening. I’m down in Florida right now so I’m getting a taste of the same weather! Back home it’s in the upper 20s so I’m feeling pretty cocky. Hehe Been walking miles daily on the beaches in the Panhandle! Between Covid and my leukemia/transplant saga it’s been a long time since we’ve gotten down here.

Sending love and prayers for you, Miss Elizabeth! Hugs.

@ess77

GOODY!

Jump to this post

@ess77. Keep on truckin', Elizabeth! Your fortitude and determination are so impressive as you combat all these many battles you face on a daily basis. The good news is that you seem to have an A Team when it comes to your medical needs. Thinking of you. Laurie ❤

@ess77

GOODY!

Jump to this post

@ess77 Whenever I’m down, along you come and make me feel better!i just wish i had half your energy! We took our grandchildren to meet their great grandmother and then all, except me, went off to the Air and Space Museum. I came back to the hotel to crash! Guess I’d better get back to the weight machines at the gym. Build up my energy! Just love you and your strength, Elizabeth!

@loribmt

Man, Elizabeth, you sure have been in the laundry tub, been scrubbed on the washboard and run through the ringer these past months! I’m sorry you’re still having those sinus issues after 2 months…along with everything else? You’re always so upbeat no matter what! I’m sure hoping you get a break soon and have some pain free days!

Love that you’re getting out and about with your spiffy walker! Enjoying the sunshine and fresh air is always a day brightening. I’m down in Florida right now so I’m getting a taste of the same weather! Back home it’s in the upper 20s so I’m feeling pretty cocky. Hehe Been walking miles daily on the beaches in the Panhandle! Between Covid and my leukemia/transplant saga it’s been a long time since we’ve gotten down here.

Sending love and prayers for you, Miss Elizabeth! Hugs.

Jump to this post

@loribmt and all...I'm thrilled you've joined me in the sunny, sand, and ocean land, This is the best thing you can do for yourself at this point! Walking on the beach is soooooo relaxing and peaceful. I go into a special zone when I do that, need a dose of the ocean right now, or after the HR thing is settled. My infectious disease doc told me to take a vacation! Ha! Asked him how, walking? all the questions.....he suggested a 5-day cruise. Sounds good to me. Asked him if he'd float me a small loan...He laughed.

You soak up our wonderful weather, my friend. This is a lovely time of year in Fl. Lots of healing out there. love to you and all. Blessings, Elizabeth

Please sign in or register to post a reply.