Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@loribmt

Patience is a virtue. LOL.

Jump to this post

I was standing behind the door when patience was handed out!

@sueinmn

I was standing behind the door when patience was handed out!

Jump to this post

😂

@sueinmn

Maybe you can ask your care manager to put an outdoor, accompanied walk on your care plan. You would be so much safer accompanied by an aid, with a standby wheelchair. Don't want to undo all your hard work at getting better with an untimely tumble!
Sue

Jump to this post

@sueinmn and @loribmt. Good idea, Sue. I'll check in with my Care Manager this morning before launching out on my own out there in the great outdoors. I'm feeling stronger lately and am getting restless ( or reckless? 🤣 ).

@artist01

@sueinmn and @loribmt. Good idea, Sue. I'll check in with my Care Manager this morning before launching out on my own out there in the great outdoors. I'm feeling stronger lately and am getting restless ( or reckless? 🤣 ).

Jump to this post

Oh Laurie this is such good news. Hahahah girl…there’s a fine line between restless and reckless!! 😂 Be careful!! They’ll take the keys away to your walker. Giggle.

@loribmt

Oh Laurie this is such good news. Hahahah girl…there’s a fine line between restless and reckless!! 😂 Be careful!! They’ll take the keys away to your walker. Giggle.

Jump to this post

Not so funny. They took away an uncle's walker when he kept escaping for outdoor walks and replaced it with one that had no wheels so he couldn't get far. (He had spent most of his life outdoors and got restless too) His son demanded that they return it and take him out every day for a stroll, regardless of weather.

@artist01

Jump to this post

@artist01 I bet you might find an aide or walking companion, if you petition for a bit of fresh air each day. Walking laps inside can get pretty old after a while. Getting out into fresh air rejuvenates you, increases your energy, makes you feel more interested in everything, gives you new perspective and more things to talk about. Who knows, you might end up leading a small group who will join you, they be so enamored with your new outlook!
Ginger

@loribmt

Jump to this post

@loribmt. Oh no! Please don't take away the keys to my walker! Hahaha.

@gingerw

@artist01 I bet you might find an aide or walking companion, if you petition for a bit of fresh air each day. Walking laps inside can get pretty old after a while. Getting out into fresh air rejuvenates you, increases your energy, makes you feel more interested in everything, gives you new perspective and more things to talk about. Who knows, you might end up leading a small group who will join you, they be so enamored with your new outlook!
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw. I agree with you wholeheartedly. The problem at my seniors place is that we're so short-staffed right now. Whether they can spare a Care Aid for an outdoor walk might be a problem. Stay tuned!
And I definitely have no interest in group walks. Reminds me of a string of kindergarten kids hanging on to a rope. Been there. Done that. Embarrassing if there are (usually) curious passers-by gawking at us empathetically. ❤

@artist01

@gingerw. I agree with you wholeheartedly. The problem at my seniors place is that we're so short-staffed right now. Whether they can spare a Care Aid for an outdoor walk might be a problem. Stay tuned!
And I definitely have no interest in group walks. Reminds me of a string of kindergarten kids hanging on to a rope. Been there. Done that. Embarrassing if there are (usually) curious passers-by gawking at us empathetically. ❤

Jump to this post

The picture you painted for us of the string of kindergarten kids hanging onto a rope had me bust out in laughter, Laurie. But I agree with Ginger, maybe take one friend along?? And no slipping past the front desk!! Yikes, with ‘the brakes’ being put on Sue’s uncle’s walker, you don’t want your privileges taken away like that. Hahah though I know you wouldn’t get mad, you’d get even. Snicker.

@sueinmn

Not so funny. They took away an uncle's walker when he kept escaping for outdoor walks and replaced it with one that had no wheels so he couldn't get far. (He had spent most of his life outdoors and got restless too) His son demanded that they return it and take him out every day for a stroll, regardless of weather.

Jump to this post

@sueinmn
Good for your uncle’s son. There is a great disregard for older people in these facilities. They are short staffed and not paid enough to care beyond the minimum effort. At one of my daughter’s facilities, one of the activities is Root Beer Float day. Yes sir! Regardless of your diet and health concerns you get to have a root beer float. Everyone eats the same meals. If you didn’t have diabetes when you went in you sure will have it if you leave.

I seriously doubt any of the residents up here in this neck of the woods could get someone to take them outdoors. Some facilities are better than others. My daughter really has some frustrating stressful days just dealing with the staff who are supposed to facilitate her visits with the patients.

I think a mutiny is needed lol. Sounds like a movie.

FL Mary

Please sign in or register to post a reply.