Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@loribmt
Awesome! Love your doctor who really knows you. My Oby/Gyn Nurse Practitioner called my daughter (who is also an NP and basically my doctor) when I refused any meds after she saw my dexascan a couple of years ago. My daughter told her that we had already discussed it and that she agrees with my decision. I have lived across the breezeway from them for the past 16 years. She has her own business and treats the elderly in the assisted facilities here (20 years).
I have an ENT and an eye doctor but Chris is my go to person who is passionate about food, nutrition and exercise. Both my son and daughter-in-law and kids are all active and healthy so it behooves me to keep up with them. They are all an inspiration and I know I am fortunate.

I have always had osteoporosis but have kept it from getting worse the past several years. I am not inclined to get another dexascan because it won’t change my mind. I also think the young man who performed the test did it “half assed” as they say….forgot to do the left hip.
I have no faith in those results.

Just walked 2.5 miles this morning…have a gym class today….and then my usual after dinner floor exercises. If I couldn’t drink wine (gasp!) I would be having unsweetened grape juice in a wine glass too. Mind over matter.

FL Mary…..66 degrees this morning…yahoo!

@ess77

@becsbuddy and all....You said your morning was about 30 degrees? my goodness, we're in the 80's during days, 60's at night. Humidity is lower now and feels much more comfy. But, still too warm for me when I can walk, Guess that'll be when it's cooler tho, so look forward to it.
enjoy your walks and i'll join you soon....elizabeth

Jump to this post

@ess77 , becsbuddy and all you lucky warm weather folks. Up here in the Great White North, and specifically on Vancouver Island where I live, our mornings are way down at 4 Celsius (39.2 F), with howling winds and rain lately. Fresh and invigorating in the lovely sea air! I hope to be able to resume my walking regime sometime (soon ???!! 😔). I KNOW it's coming. I can feel it in my bones!! 😊 Laurie

@loribmt

Hi, Mary and @ess77. I’d had a Dexa scan in autumn of 2018 and at 64, there was no sign of osteopenia at all. Then Feb 2019 I was diagnosed with Acute myeloid Leukemia. The heavy chemo, nausea and medications really interrupted my calcium intake. Then toss in the bone marrow transplant it was pretty much a year with a drain on bone health. Autumn 2019, my exit Dexa Scan after transplant showed osteoporosis! I was just gutted with that news!

My transplant doctor and I have a really good rapport. He knows I’m not a dottering old woman and he treats my husband and myself like colleagues. So we discussed the bone loss and agreed with me that I could have one year to turn things around.

I worked with a PT to get some targeted exercises for my hips and spine, then ramped up the calcium intake through foods, dairy, supplements, Vit D3, Mag. I wanted to add strontium but it would interfere with some of my meds at the time so I was limited by what I could take.

We were ALL shocked and pleasantly surprised to see one year later that another Dexa showed a reversal big time of my osteoporosis. Yaaaay!! And that was after spending most of 2020 taking huge doses of steroids which is a real bone robber!
Just had my 4th Dexa last week (Oct 2021) and I’m still holding my own!! Even showed bone density growth in both hips.

Oh, this was cute. My transplant doctor had a Fellow working with him this time. She came in the room first to review my Dexa scan. Told me I have osteopenia and was very frank about putting me on some Fosamax or Prolia. I said no, I prefer to keep working out, I’ll ‘up’ my routine. She was aghast that I wouldn’t take any meds. And then told me, OH you have to be so careful at your age working out and exercising so hard. Snicker snort!! Oh honey…

When my doctor came in, we chatted about my bones after the Fellow left. He said, “I know you and how active you are. Considering all of the work you do to keep healthy there’s no need to have you on any medications as this time. Exercise builds healthy bones and you’re proof of that.” Fist pump!!! Yes!

I know this healthy route may not work for everyone. Sometimes we have no choice but to take a bone strengthening medication. We can’t have a crumbling infrastructure. 😉 But it’s obviously working on your (80 is the new 60) body, Mary, and Elizabeth, you too!! Plus the exercise keeps us younger and healthier all the way around.
The daily vino is out for me yet but i have a daily glass of Welch’s grape juice in a wine glass…does that count? 😂

Jump to this post

@loribmt and all...Thanks so much for sharing this part of your interesting, long, inspiring story or your walk through your transplant. What a story. I like your transplant doc, for sire. I have several at Mayo Jax wh0 have a similar attitude. I appreciate that respect from the doctor. I'm finished with being told what to do, period. It's a very important equal respect relationship some of the new doctors have to learn, hopefully. You and I are teachers, eh?
I think I told you at my 1st after surgery follow-up, I told the surgeon I noticed before our next appt I was scheduled for another.....#17,,, covid nasal test. I looked her in the face, told her that could not happen. I had seen 2 human begins in person since the surgery,. before seeing her. My 80-year-old friend who drove me home, we got 3 feet from each other. She was vaccinated and stays almost as hibernated as do I; the other is my son, who doesn't get 6 feet close to anyone, never goes out, is disabled. Not one person since had I seen. So, if she was concerned about her possible infection, forget it. Concerned about me? I feel safe at Mayo.
She was very surprised.
I said if I must have a test to see you, then I just won't have another visit. And, Lori, I was quite serious. I made a decision, enough.
She was very quiet for a few moments; them she softly suggested we compromise. I agreed to have a saliva covid test before seeing her.
I'm tired and will put my head on my pillow now.
Bless you, my friend. elizabeth

@artist01

@ess77 , becsbuddy and all you lucky warm weather folks. Up here in the Great White North, and specifically on Vancouver Island where I live, our mornings are way down at 4 Celsius (39.2 F), with howling winds and rain lately. Fresh and invigorating in the lovely sea air! I hope to be able to resume my walking regime sometime (soon ???!! 😔). I KNOW it's coming. I can feel it in my bones!! 😊 Laurie

Jump to this post

@artist01and friends, I love Vancouver Island, I would love to live there although I could have trouble with the cold...definitely. Enjoy your lovely home. It's so beautiful there. blessings, my friend. to bed...elizabeth

Baby steps! I got in a half mile walk, did a load of laundry, and got a nice dinner in the oven today. Of course, it feels like I worked 8 hours. This surgery nonsense has to stop.
Sue

@sueinmn

Baby steps! I got in a half mile walk, did a load of laundry, and got a nice dinner in the oven today. Of course, it feels like I worked 8 hours. This surgery nonsense has to stop.
Sue

Jump to this post

Patience is a virtue. LOL.

@sueinmn

Sue

Jump to this post

Sue....that is what I have been saying for years......"No more surgeries." " Don't fall down mountains, don't sign up for walking adventures and then lag behind. Act your age."

So...I have just had orthopedic surgery #14 and I have no more knees. However, I am getting ready for the second "thumb" surgery in a few weeks. I can't even open jars anymore. Of course, it is the right thumb, my dominant one. I have been putting it off because I don't want to need personal hygiene help during recovery. Oh well.......one more and that is truly going to be it.

Good for you already walking......I think you are the best surgery role model I have ever had.
My best,
Chris

PS....do you know what type of thumb surgery is the best. My other one was "anchovy".

@gingerw

Today I walked a half-mile plus a bit more, using my hiking sticks. I set my mind to get to a little creek along the road, and did it! Focusing on what was around me, the uneven surface, not thinking about the discomfort of my left foot. We were watching a storm come in, so I wanted to get that walk in. I had so many things to do in the house, but had to get out for fresh air. Definitely not as far as some of you are going, but a milestone for me in the last year!
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw. Congratulations, Ginger! It's so awesome that you got out there, met your goal to reach the little creek (a joy in itself!), and walked a distance you haven't been able to do for quite a long time ! Way to go! Big congratulations to you and your indomitable spirit!! Woootwoooot!! 😊
You've inspired me. I haven't had an outdoor walk since April. I'm planning to sneak past my care aids and staff real soon and give it a try. Real soon! 🤣
Keep up the great work, Ginger. Laurie ❤

@artist01

@gingerw. Congratulations, Ginger! It's so awesome that you got out there, met your goal to reach the little creek (a joy in itself!), and walked a distance you haven't been able to do for quite a long time ! Way to go! Big congratulations to you and your indomitable spirit!! Woootwoooot!! 😊
You've inspired me. I haven't had an outdoor walk since April. I'm planning to sneak past my care aids and staff real soon and give it a try. Real soon! 🤣
Keep up the great work, Ginger. Laurie ❤

Jump to this post

Maybe you can ask your care manager to put an outdoor, accompanied walk on your care plan. You would be so much safer accompanied by an aid, with a standby wheelchair. Don't want to undo all your hard work at getting better with an untimely tumble!
Sue

@artscaping

Sue....that is what I have been saying for years......"No more surgeries." " Don't fall down mountains, don't sign up for walking adventures and then lag behind. Act your age."

So...I have just had orthopedic surgery #14 and I have no more knees. However, I am getting ready for the second "thumb" surgery in a few weeks. I can't even open jars anymore. Of course, it is the right thumb, my dominant one. I have been putting it off because I don't want to need personal hygiene help during recovery. Oh well.......one more and that is truly going to be it.

Good for you already walking......I think you are the best surgery role model I have ever had.
My best,
Chris

PS....do you know what type of thumb surgery is the best. My other one was "anchovy".

Jump to this post

Hi Chris -
I am determined not to need another ortho surgery, but my knees are loudly proclaiming otherwise! Now I am working on my balance and leg strength to put is off as long as I can. (I'm way behind you at only 11 so far.)

I personally am partial to the "tightrope" CMC repair. I have had 2 very successfully, by different hand surgeons,and have active use of both thumbs. My friend is an avid painter, and her tightrope and mine were done about the same time - she also is delighted with hers - we are both able to pursue our passions. We found our initial recovery was about 6 weeks faster than another friend who had the anchovy - she was still in a cast when we started PT - and total recovery was almost 6 months faster.

The thumbs were just x-rayed by my new hand doc, and she proclaimed them "perfect." Unfortunately she couldn't say the same about my wrist - I now have a lovely new black splint to support it (10 years after it was altered.)

I'm not that great a model - have been waited on a lot this past week - but I am determined to head for Texas, so being careful.
Sue

Please sign in or register to post a reply.