Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@artist01

@ess77. Keep on truckin', Elizabeth! Your fortitude and determination are so impressive as you combat all these many battles you face on a daily basis. The good news is that you seem to have an A Team when it comes to your medical needs. Thinking of you. Laurie ❤

Jump to this post

@artist01 and all...Back at 'cha! I just get so tired, as I know you do. It's been a long couple of years for the whole world, for all of us and older folks especially. Lots of fear, isolation, illnesses of all kinds and so much more...What are we going to do, Laurie? Crawl up in a little ball, assuming we can even do it, under the covers and stay in bed until things get better??? Nope, Nope, Nope! We're tough birds, girl, and we will continue on until we can't. Then, I believe I'll be visiting with my parents, my fiance and so many others surrounded by pure love and peace and glory!
blessings, elizabeth

@becsbuddy

@ess77 Whenever I’m down, along you come and make me feel better!i just wish i had half your energy! We took our grandchildren to meet their great grandmother and then all, except me, went off to the Air and Space Museum. I came back to the hotel to crash! Guess I’d better get back to the weight machines at the gym. Build up my energy! Just love you and your strength, Elizabeth!

Jump to this post

@becsbuddy and all...Thanks for the good words, Becky. I do think I have a good team.

It would have been much better for me to get to Mayo sooner, not wait until I was in crisis mode and everything was hitting the fan, but 2019 is better than 2020, .at least that's my philosophy. I do believe God had a hand in directing me there at that time, when I was literally at the medical 'bottom' and lost, needing help. Here comes Mayo....and I should add the team has required some prodding.

I'm so glad I learned to speak up for myself, be my best advocate, and be sure I get heard. before going to Mayo or I could easily have gotten lost in the shuffle. It's so important for our fellow Mayo Connect folks to know and learn to do that, to speak, loudly and clearly out for themselves.

Even with me not being the shy flower here, I had trouble being heard after this sinus surgery. I couldn't get the surgery staff to understand I am fragile and needed more help than they were giving. But, the doc spent extra time with me last week and was very interested and concerned about my ED visit last month with mid-night bleeding and tachycardia, etc. That visit helped tremendously since I got an IV that I needed weeks before. Again, my angels were watching out for me!

BRW; sounds to me like you have lots of energy, are able to spend a good time, and go places with your grandkids. Good for you, Laurie and bless you and them. elizabeth

@ess77

@becsbuddy and all...Thanks for the good words, Becky. I do think I have a good team.

It would have been much better for me to get to Mayo sooner, not wait until I was in crisis mode and everything was hitting the fan, but 2019 is better than 2020, .at least that's my philosophy. I do believe God had a hand in directing me there at that time, when I was literally at the medical 'bottom' and lost, needing help. Here comes Mayo....and I should add the team has required some prodding.

I'm so glad I learned to speak up for myself, be my best advocate, and be sure I get heard. before going to Mayo or I could easily have gotten lost in the shuffle. It's so important for our fellow Mayo Connect folks to know and learn to do that, to speak, loudly and clearly out for themselves.

Even with me not being the shy flower here, I had trouble being heard after this sinus surgery. I couldn't get the surgery staff to understand I am fragile and needed more help than they were giving. But, the doc spent extra time with me last week and was very interested and concerned about my ED visit last month with mid-night bleeding and tachycardia, etc. That visit helped tremendously since I got an IV that I needed weeks before. Again, my angels were watching out for me!

BRW; sounds to me like you have lots of energy, are able to spend a good time, and go places with your grandkids. Good for you, Laurie and bless you and them. elizabeth

Jump to this post

@ess77 Hey, Elizabeth, I do believe you've got me mixed up with a different Connect member with your last paragraph. I'm not able to " go places and do things" with my grandchildren any more. I sure used to, back in my healthier days! They are four wonderful young adults now, who love and adore me! I'm blessed.
Keep on truckin', Elizabeth! ❤ Laurie

@artist01

@ess77 Hey, Elizabeth, I do believe you've got me mixed up with a different Connect member with your last paragraph. I'm not able to " go places and do things" with my grandchildren any more. I sure used to, back in my healthier days! They are four wonderful young adults now, who love and adore me! I'm blessed.
Keep on truckin', Elizabeth! ❤ Laurie

Jump to this post

@becsbuddy, @artit01//and all...Oops.....I was thinking of Becky who spent time with her grandkids and family, having a great time and with enough energy to do it...I'm better, stronger today. went across the street to my son's for a movie. It was from 1996 and I thought I wouldn't like it but it was wonderfully fun , Good for both of us to spend quality, quiet fun time together. we used to do that before he had his crash with the horrid medicine. He hasn't been the same since and a bit of him was back today, for several hours. I'm home, tired, but amazed at how much better I'm feeling today. Back on schedule with all supplements and that does make a difference.

I'm into the Hallmark Christmas movies, all the same-ish plot, lots of repeat actors, even last year I noticed some of the props are the same! But, I love them for all those reasons. I can relax, enjoy, smile, hear and see Christmas as I tend to miss it these days, and record all the other crime stuff I miss. Works well.

Off to bed, Laurie. Be well, and blessings. Elizabeth

@ess77

@becsbuddy, @artit01//and all...Oops.....I was thinking of Becky who spent time with her grandkids and family, having a great time and with enough energy to do it...I'm better, stronger today. went across the street to my son's for a movie. It was from 1996 and I thought I wouldn't like it but it was wonderfully fun , Good for both of us to spend quality, quiet fun time together. we used to do that before he had his crash with the horrid medicine. He hasn't been the same since and a bit of him was back today, for several hours. I'm home, tired, but amazed at how much better I'm feeling today. Back on schedule with all supplements and that does make a difference.

I'm into the Hallmark Christmas movies, all the same-ish plot, lots of repeat actors, even last year I noticed some of the props are the same! But, I love them for all those reasons. I can relax, enjoy, smile, hear and see Christmas as I tend to miss it these days, and record all the other crime stuff I miss. Works well.

Off to bed, Laurie. Be well, and blessings. Elizabeth

Jump to this post

@ess77. Haha, Elizabeth. I was thinking you meant Becky. No problem. Once I get to LTC in Penticton (9 - 12 months down the road) I'll have lots of family visits! ❤ So happy you had quality time with your son. Bravo!

@ess77

@loribmt and all...I'm thrilled you've joined me in the sunny, sand, and ocean land, This is the best thing you can do for yourself at this point! Walking on the beach is soooooo relaxing and peaceful. I go into a special zone when I do that, need a dose of the ocean right now, or after the HR thing is settled. My infectious disease doc told me to take a vacation! Ha! Asked him how, walking? all the questions.....he suggested a 5-day cruise. Sounds good to me. Asked him if he'd float me a small loan...He laughed.

You soak up our wonderful weather, my friend. This is a lovely time of year in Fl. Lots of healing out there. love to you and all. Blessings, Elizabeth

Jump to this post

@loribmt, and all...Oh, my goodness. When did you land on the panhandle? Winter has arrived in Florida, in Jacksonville. It went down in the 40's last night and up in the low 60's today. Lower tomorrow and raining, drizzling all yesterday, last night, and today. I'm sure you brought it with you; we skipped fall all together....but, I love it. I do miss falls, but whatever it is, is fine with me.

I love those walks by the ocean on the lovely sand, but it's great to sit on the porch or inside and enjoy the rolling waves. I love that sound...
Lori, be well. blessings your way. elizabeth

Oh, I've been so weak lately, I hadn't even ck'd the weather or the thermostat....Samantha, the kitty, was a hoot last night snuggling up and sleeping almost on top of me. I turned off the overhead fan, but we were still cold. like it cool, but I was shivering. She was all fluffy and in a ball leaning on my tummy. I changed to 'heat' tonight, usually keep it on AC most if not all of the winter! No global warming here....colder than I can remember forever.
A very good, warm, snuggly night. Elizabeth

Today I am proud to say I walked a nationally-known arts-and-craft-and-fabric store, almost all the aisles, 45 minutes worth. Then I went to a nationally known food/grocery store and walked it for groceries. Okay, I had a cart to lean on, but I movitated all on my own! Very proud of that moving around today, as last time I had to choose which one to do, couldn't do both. Hubby was pleased to see my motivation and insistence on doing both stores!
Ginger

@gingerw

Today I am proud to say I walked a nationally-known arts-and-craft-and-fabric store, almost all the aisles, 45 minutes worth. Then I went to a nationally known food/grocery store and walked it for groceries. Okay, I had a cart to lean on, but I movitated all on my own! Very proud of that moving around today, as last time I had to choose which one to do, couldn't do both. Hubby was pleased to see my motivation and insistence on doing both stores!
Ginger

Jump to this post

Way to go Ginger!

@gingerw

Ginger

Jump to this post

It’s those little victories that have such a huge impact!! Way to go, Ginger!

@gingerw

Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw, @sueinmn, @loribmt, and all...
Hurray for Ginger!!! Ginger, you are marvelous, Such determination. Look at you and what you are accomplishing. Aren't you pleased with yourself.....Wonder Woman Ginger! Blessings, elizabeth

Please sign in or register to post a reply.