Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@jakedduck1

@loribmt
That was the best private message I could ever wish for.
I think I told you why I was so late in responding didn’t I?
I’m counting the days!!!
Jake

Jump to this post

You did! You almost missed out!! I just sent you another message so check your inbox
You’re going to need to step up your walking to burn off the calories coming to a mailbox near you. LOL

@jakedduck1

@contentandwell
SHAME ON YOUR DAUGHTER.
I don’t have a lot of Chinese food but probably more than I should. My sodium was low so I figured it wouldn’t hurt.
Yep, I devour every bit of my candy, cookies cake, pie & pastries. Going to a birthday party Saturday so more goodies. The electricians were here today and I offered them some candy bars, cheesecake, punpkin pie or See’s candy but they both declined. Can’t say I was disappointed.
I know people who never eat sweets and they have high blood pressure, diabetes and heart disease. All this talk about candy being bad in my opinion is propaganda.
Have some candy and get healthy!!!
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1

Let’s hear it for euphoric endorphins!🥳

FL Mary

@imallears

@jakedduck1

Let’s hear it for euphoric endorphins!🥳

FL Mary

Jump to this post

Euphoric Endorphins~Wasn’t that a hair band group 🎵in the 80s? 😂

@loribmt

Euphoric Endorphins~Wasn’t that a hair band group 🎵in the 80s? 😂

Jump to this post

@loribmt

You are right…so funny…there was an Indian band called Euphoric. I think @jakedduck1 band in the US in the 80s was RUSH.

I remember that music era so well.

FL Mary

Good morning, walkers!! It’s almost 9 am and sunny so i need to get walking! There is a wooded path near me so i hope to see some colorful trees while the dog checks his pee-mail! Temp is only in the mid 30’s . But, i must go! Come on, @jakedduck1 , lets get going!

@imallears

@loribmt

You are right…so funny…there was an Indian band called Euphoric. I think @jakedduck1 band in the US in the 80s was RUSH.

I remember that music era so well.

FL Mary

Jump to this post

Hello, @imallears, @jakedduck1, @loribmt, @becsbuddy, and all....Hello everyone. I've missed you. Still hibernating pretty much upstairs, but I"m a bit stronger and go downstairs almost every day to fill and clean feeders on the patio. I'm afraid the feeders were empty for several days as I could 't get down to take care of them.
I'm better and will get better yet. Have a 2-week heart monitor, the cutest little thing, smaller than our phones and not too bothersome.
Mary, Rush is a great band! God bless them, they're very good musicians and write poetic lyrics. My son studied percussion from 7th grade through college and had a band in Raleigh with fellow lawyers. He introduced me to Rush when he was in H, S, It was a real bond for us as I:m not too interested in that music style.
. He read me all the lyrics and I was impressed. Neil Pert sp? the drummer, was fantastic and amazing to watch. He recently died and I think lost his family in a car wreck years ago. Facts may not be correct, but close.
Used all my energy for the day so saying 'good-bye' for now.
Missed everyone and trying to keep reading your messages. Just need more strength to write....Miss my walking and haven't gotten back to the therapy pool yet. I will.....
blessings, Elizabeth

@ess77

Good to hear from you. I too learned about Rush when my son was in high school and Neil Pert was a monster of a drummer. Amazing talent and everyone wanted drums for Christmas presents and all wanted to form garage bands. His daughter was killed in a car accident. Neil died last year….I don’t think he even hit 70 yet. The husband of a friend still plays in his original buddy band after all these years.

I got to like Rush and, as you said, great lyrics. Confess that I also liked Kiss. Glad you are on the mend. You will be out pounding the pavement before you know it.

FL Mary

@ess77

Hello, @imallears, @jakedduck1, @loribmt, @becsbuddy, and all....Hello everyone. I've missed you. Still hibernating pretty much upstairs, but I"m a bit stronger and go downstairs almost every day to fill and clean feeders on the patio. I'm afraid the feeders were empty for several days as I could 't get down to take care of them.
I'm better and will get better yet. Have a 2-week heart monitor, the cutest little thing, smaller than our phones and not too bothersome.
Mary, Rush is a great band! God bless them, they're very good musicians and write poetic lyrics. My son studied percussion from 7th grade through college and had a band in Raleigh with fellow lawyers. He introduced me to Rush when he was in H, S, It was a real bond for us as I:m not too interested in that music style.
. He read me all the lyrics and I was impressed. Neil Pert sp? the drummer, was fantastic and amazing to watch. He recently died and I think lost his family in a car wreck years ago. Facts may not be correct, but close.
Missed everyone and trying to keep reading your messages. Just need more strength to write....Miss my walking and haven't gotten back to the therapy pool yet. I will.....
blessings, Elizabeth

Jump to this post

@ess77 Hello Elizabeth. Good for you! You're finally able to get downstairs to replenish your bird feeders. I'm sure your beloved birds rely on you for their treats and sustenance.
I certainly understand the difficulty in trying to regain our strength. I'm pretty much in the same boat, always reading the posts and clicking on "Like", but not up to responding to many these days. Our Mayo Clinic Connect group is a very important part of my morning, and gives so much support to all of us.
It really raises my endorphins after my daily read!
You're very courageous and resilient and I KNOW you and I will both get there. Time. We just need time. Keep up the good work, Elizabeth. Warmest wishes, Laurie

@ess77

blessings, Elizabeth

Jump to this post

@ess77 and @artist01 Good to hear from both of you. And I have to keep remembering in my mind, that the activities that others are able to enjoy at this moment are inspiration for me to aim for! We each have our journeys that vary a lot! Keep moving forward as much as we can, don't compare ourselves to others and feel discouraged, please. I love hearing about how we challenge ourselves! Little steps, baby steps, all add up.
Ginger

@gingerw

@ess77 and @artist01 Good to hear from both of you. And I have to keep remembering in my mind, that the activities that others are able to enjoy at this moment are inspiration for me to aim for! We each have our journeys that vary a lot! Keep moving forward as much as we can, don't compare ourselves to others and feel discouraged, please. I love hearing about how we challenge ourselves! Little steps, baby steps, all add up.
Ginger

Jump to this post

@gingerw. Thanks, Ginger! We have to keep on truckin'! I get so much inspiration from our Connect community. ❤ Laurie

Please sign in or register to post a reply.